I work with a guy who I just DO NOT understand.

This is a discussion on I work with a guy who I just DO NOT understand. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; He's an admitted liberal. OK, I get that. I don't agree with his stance on most things as I am just about as far from ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: I work with a guy who I just DO NOT understand.

He's an admitted liberal. OK, I get that. I don't agree with his stance on most things as I am just about as far from liberal as you can get. But, tonight the subject of guns and carrying came up. He isn't opposed to carry. he isn't opposed to gun ownership. In fact, he is pretty much on board with all of it. This gave me some hope. But then he drops this little gem on me. He doesn't own a gun (I have no objection to that) and he doesn't want one. In fact, he says if someone wants to break into his house, while he and his wife and child are there and steal his stuff, they must need it more than he does. Further, he doesn't think he could ever hurt another person, much less shoot someone, even if they are actively trying to kill him or his family!

I have to admit, I was stunned. I held my tongue but I have to tell you guys, I have a wife and 5 kids. I think it is my duty as a husband and father to protect my family in any way I can and every way I need to. The very idea of not being able to kill someone who is trying to kill my family is completely alien to me. And I honestly think that if you feel you could never hurt another person to stop them from trying to kill your child that you shouldn't be a parent.

I just don't understand this line of thought. Not, at, all.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

VIP Member
    There're some people that you really don't want to understand. If you did, you'd be like them.
    jem102, Bubbiesdad and Thylacine like this.

Wow.....

I hope no crooks hear him say that.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

VIP Member
    Mike. They are out there.

Senior Moderator
    I've met them. They only have a change of mind when they get real close to dying because some scuzball did something to them.

That's what it takes to get the point across.

It would seem that there are more of "them" then there are of "us".
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I've met other people like him. My only questions to those that believe that, what is the point of owning anything? If you aren't willing to protect that which you hold most dear, then why do you exist?

I've never had a good answer.

We are predators at a base level, and I don't know of any other apex predator (that's a mammal) that won't kill to protect their young. Sure, sometimes only sex raises the young, but they will kill to protect them. It's the natural instinct of a parent to protect their young. People who aren't willing to kill for the most precious thing they bring into this world, I don't know. I just don't know how that can be.

I'm sure a broken window, missing electronics, and turned out drawers would change that in an instant.

We all are 'individually' responsible for our own decisions. He gave you an honest assessment of his SD/HD survival plan, let him live with it.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    We all are 'individually' responsible for our own decisions. He gave you an honest assessment of his SD/HD survival plan, let him live with it.
    I agree. Who cares? It's a weird way to look at things, but who are you to judge?

In college, I had a roommate who felt the same way. When I first met him, he didn't believe killing a human being was ever a just act. I'm talking about every scenario possible, but e.g. "some guy holding a trigger to a weapon that would kill every human being on earth and you could only land a head shot to stop it" type of thing.

Two years and 300 cases later, I convinced him to think otherwise. He's still very conservative in his views on killing humans, but he believes it is appropriate in some scenarios.

Moral of the story: you be the judge.

Don't get me wrong Cold Shot. I am not judging him. I just can't at all understand his line of thought. I completely am unable to understand how someone could ever have a child and NOT feel a strong duty to protect that child's life.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Do you have the firearms that you want? Do you have sufficient ammo?

Do not pay attention to other persons. They make their own decisions. You make yours.
    Hopyard likes this.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    He's an admitted liberal. OK, I get that. I don't agree with his stance on most things as I am just about as far from liberal as you can get. But, tonight the subject of guns and carrying came up. He isn't opposed to carry. he isn't opposed to gun ownership. In fact, he is pretty much on board with all of it. This gave me some hope. But then he drops this little gem on me. He doesn't own a gun (I have no objection to that) and he doesn't want one. In fact, he says if someone wants to break into his house, while he and his wife and child are there and steal his stuff, they must need it more than he does. Further, he doesn't think he could ever hurt another person, much less shoot someone, even if they are actively trying to kill him or his family!

I have to admit, I was stunned. I held my tongue but I have to tell you guys, I have a wife and 5 kids. I think it is my duty as a husband and father to protect my family in any way I can and every way I need to. The very idea of not being able to kill someone who is trying to kill my family is completely alien to me. And I honestly think that if you feel you could never hurt another person to stop them from trying to kill your child that you shouldn't be a parent.

I just don't understand this line of thought. Not, at, all.
    I think some of this is the same mentality on the opposite end of the spectrum as those saying it would be easy to take another life over defense of their wallet and some cash with false bravado (broader than gecko45 types but not too far off the mark). It's easy to claim to be a complete pacifist in words even if you couldn't go that far in reality; and many people just don't know it until it hits them, and hopefully for all of us it never has to reach that point of putting action to the plan. Many people do not want to think of themselves as killers and thinking themselves mentally, morally or physically incapable of doing that level of harm is a comforting feeling, the same as people being more comfortable not seeing carry, and not having to think about guns and crime. Not gonna say I agree with it, but I think it's probably quite common amongst sheep.

On a similar note, my girlfriend (who happens to be libertarian) told me after our trip in search of cheap ammo to gander mountain and obligatory slow walk of the gun case; that she'd be better off with a fake gun to scare someone because she'd never practice enough to shoot it. Again I think because the thought of needing to use it is something she doesn't want to have to come to terms with. While she knows and likes that I carry, and practice and compete and educate myself and so on, for her to have to do it herself is a whole different ball game. I've also found the more I point out wanting to take her to the range for learning basic safety and to join me in the occasional shooting sport event that we travel to already, the warmer she would be to having one for herself and my hope is that given time and good experiences she will warm up to keeping it in the night stand, and eventually the car and maybe someday carry in her own pace; but if I point out the purpose of the handgun is to take the life of someone trying to kill me, that openness shuts down in a hurry. She doesn't think of herself being in that position and doesn't think the odds are high enough to consider it, or that if it does happen I'll be around to handle it.

In the most dire of circumstance either you will or you won't, and IMO there are very few that in the extreme would be incapable of doing so, whether or not they have reckoned with it themselves beforehand or not. I think most of us that carry have given thought to the totality of the effects and understand what that may mean someday. Most any circumstance in a mere property crime the property can be replaced and is insured, if someone was breaking in to kidnap his daughter and he caught them, I think it would illicit a different response, but does he consider these circumstances when planning home defense or is it just a matter of locking the doors because that's what you do to be safe and we won't think about the bad things? Unless faced with it he may never admit it to others, unless forced to think about it in detail he may never admit it to himself.

Edit: Look at how many folks lived ten feet below sea level in New Orleans, then when a hurricane carrying a 15ft storm surge came to them, decided not to leave 5days out 3 days out but stayed put thinking it wouldn't happen to them, then climb atop their roof and waited for boat or helicopter to come get them, and scrutinized why their government didn't save them. Most people just don't want to consider the bad things happening to them, and consequently don't prepare.
    Tzadik, ASSA9 and MikeNice like this.

Glock Certified Armorer

My first thought was that if you only work with one guy you just don't understand your doing great!!! I'm surrounded by them, and seemingly at their mercy.

Yeah, I don't get that thought process either. Along with many others.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    Be glad you don't get it-that means you're normal. I used to teach martial arts and in my experience most people who express such beliefs just haven't thought it through completely, or are operating under the influence of fear (because they haven't been trained) & aren't aware of it. There are, however, a very small minority who truly are aberrant enough to not have it in them to defend themselves or their progeny. Look at parents who kill their children. I have come to believe that this is just Natural Selection at work. Nature is culling the bad genes from the gene pool. This is a good thing as long as it doesn't involve me and mine!

Natural selection or birth of a neo-conservative coming...

Not only don't I understand people like this, I don't trust people like this. Seriously. They are liars.
    Thylacine likes this.
    In principle, principle and practice are the same, but in practice, they're not.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links