FA Meeting Needed

This is a discussion on FA Meeting Needed within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Okay, I admit it. I have a flinch. I don't want it, never asked for it but I desperately need to get rid of it. ...

Thread: FA Meeting Needed

FA Meeting Needed

Okay, I admit it. I have a flinch. I don't want it, never asked for it but I desperately need to get rid of it. Any suggestions as how to train it away? Thanks!!
    "It is the duty of all citizens, irrespective of party, to denounce, and, so far as may be, to punish crimes against the public on the part of politicians or officials." ~President Theodore Roosevelt~

2. Remove Ads

What are you shooting?
    Just cause you're paranoid, doesn't mean you're wrong....

Taurus Millennium Pro 40 cal and Taurus 85 Ultra-Lite Titanium 38 special 2" revolver.
    "It is the duty of all citizens, irrespective of party, to denounce, and, so far as may be, to punish crimes against the public on the part of politicians or officials." ~President Theodore Roosevelt~

Try not to blink when you shoot.It's hard at first but if you can manage to do it,your flinching will be gone.Worked for me anyway.
    A good way to determine how much you're fliching is to load snap caps randomly in your magazine.

Thanks, I'll try it tomorrow!

FA meeting? "Firearms Anonymous",I'm not ready to quit yet so it won't work
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Flinchers Anonymous

Shoot with a partner, and have the partner load the gun and hand it to you. It's easy with the revolver, just leave 1 or 2 holes empty per cylinder. For the auto, dummy rounds or - better yet, snap caps - get loaded in the mag. You shoot, partner observes (or videos).

This one is off the wall, but it's helped me. Try keeping both eyes at least partially open when you sneeze. This requires conscious control over something your body normally handles autonomously.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    Have you tried the dime method? First make sure the weapon is unloaded then place a dime on the front sight and dry-fire. The hammer strike should be the only action to cause the dime to fall off.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    First, do a LOT of dry fire practice. Then at the range, start really slow fire. So slow that you don't flinch. Don't make the gun go off, focus on your sight picture and sight alignment and be surprised when the gun goes off because you pulled the trigger slow, smooth, and straight back. Do that for a couple of range sessions and dry fire without flinching every day (minimum 10 trigger pulls a day with NO flinch) and it'll start to fade.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

All the suggestions above are good and I'll add one more that worked for me.

I started shooting a lot more often. After awhile you just get used to and enjoy absorbing and controlling recoil and you don't fear the recoil.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Links