Interpreting my target

Interpreting my target

This is a discussion on Interpreting my target within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Most of the rounds I fired downrange from my SIG today were placed on the left side of the target. Anybody have any idea what ...

Thread: Interpreting my target

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar

Interpreting my target

Most of the rounds I fired downrange from my SIG today were placed on the left side of the target. Anybody have any idea what I am doing wrong with my technique. I think I remember seeing a chart one time that would trouble shoot your technique according to where your rounds are falling on your target. I do know one thing- At least I was consistent! Any help or comments would be appreciated.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

here's another analysis target source.
    about halfway down - click on analysis target, or below that there is one for southpaws if you're a lefty like me.
    http://www.makarov.com/funstuff.html

Lead Moderator
    If you are right handed, and they were low-left, you were probably jerking the trigger.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Doc go to the following link:

http://bullseyepistol.com/training.htm

Fantastic site.

Also read:

http://bullseyepistol.com/amucover.htm

I reread it every so often. Really helps to correct the problems that creep into my shooting.
    Mark
    SC CWP Instructor
    NC CCH Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by rstickle
    If you are right handed, and they were low-left, you were probably jerking the trigger.
    That is my first assumption. Some guys' XDs have needed back sight adjustment but it's almost always trigger control issues.

Well they were all middle left which indicated too much or too little trigger pressure.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Quote Originally Posted by mstarn
    Doc go to the following link:

http://bullseyepistol.com/training.htm

Fantastic site.

Also read:

http://bullseyepistol.com/amucover.htm

I reread it every so often. Really helps to correct the problems that creep into my shooting.
    Hey great stuff. I am printing off a copy of the manual. I have fired thousands of rounds and I have decent combat accuracy but I still have much to learn GRASSHOPPER!

VIP Member
    Doc, I read all the diagnosis and not a one mentioned with I discovered was causing me to shoot consistently to the left. It is related to the too much trigger finger problem. I tried using less trigger finger and got the same results. Then at home that evening I was examining my grip and discovered that the reason I had too much finger on the trigger to begin with. I was not putting the grip of the pistol right into the pocket formed between the thumb and forefinger. I was letting my hand slide around to the right of the grip just slightly so that more finger was on the trigger. When I hold the pistol correctl there is not way for me to get too much finger on the trigger. The too much finger was a symptom of the problem, but not the problem itself.

I discovered that I was putting the first round right on target and the shots were drifting left for the next 2 or 3 and then they were right on top of each other 1.5 to 2 inches from point of aim. I was gripping the pistol correctly initially and thus the first shot was on target. I was then letting the pistol turn in my hand and in two or three shots it reached the point where it could go no further and I was firing the rest of the mag from that position.

Since I discovered this we have made two trips to the range. It is not as easy to correct as I initially though because my thumb is week right in that point. I am trying to improve the strength of the joint there. I have been very careful and worked to maintain the grip and have gotten good results. I now recognize immediately when a shot hits if I have allow the gun to turn. Now I will pause in the firing and regrip the pistol. This helps, but I am working on making the proper grip the natural way I grip and on the thumb to keep it from allowing the drift.

Don't know that this is in anyway related to your problem, but none of the resourses I found really made a great improvement on my shooting even though the analysis was partially correct. Correcting the symptom of the problem did very little to actually correct the problem.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Ex Member Array one eyed fatman's Avatar

Yes MSTARN!!! Excellent site. Thanks for the link...
    CW

I really like One Eyed Fatman's chart. Heres the one I use it's called the Caswell Chart. It's based on Weaver stance shooting but can be applied to isosceles too. Good luck.
    Attached Images
    We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
    George Orwell

Subscribed.

Here is a link to a nice one that I use. It prints out real nice. I usually bring a few copies to the range with me and use them as my target.

http://www.sportshooter.com/improving/targetgallery.asp

Sponsored Links