question on selling a gun in MO.

This is a discussion on question on selling a gun in MO. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hi, I have a handgun I want to sell to a friend of a friend... When I bought it, I had to go through the ...

Thread: question on selling a gun in MO.

question on selling a gun in MO.

Hi,
    I have a handgun I want to sell to a friend of a friend... When I bought it, I had to go through the whole background check, blah blah, etc.... how does it work if I am going to sell one of my guns to an individual?
    Is there any responsibility on me to do anything special? Is it on the buyer? Not clear onthis process as I have never sold one of my guns before. Any info would be greatly appreciated... thanks.

2. Remove Ads

No state permit is required for the purchase of rifles, shotguns or handguns.

It is unlawful to knowingly sell, lease, loan, give away or deliver a firearm or ammunition to any person who is not lawfully entitled to possess one. It is unlawful to recklessly sell, lease, loan, give away or deliver a firearm or ammunition to a person who is intoxicated. It is unlawful to knowingly sell, lease, loan, give away or deliver any firearm to a person who is not eighteen years old without the consent of the custodial parent or guardian. If a person knowingly solicits, persuades, encourages, or entices a licensed dealer, or private seller of firearms or ammunition, to transfer a firearm or ammunition under circumstances which the person knows would violate federal or state laws.

See: http://www.nraila.org/statelawpdfs/MOSL.pdf
    See: Missouri Gun Laws - What are the Gun Laws in Missouri?
    See: Missouri Concealed Carry Gun Permit and Firearms Information Website

Also see: Section 571-080 Transfer of concealable firearms.
    Transfer of concealable firearms.
    571.080. A person commits the crime of transfer of a concealable firearm if such person violates 18 U.S.C. Section 922(b) or 18 U.S.C. Section 922(x).
    Finally, get familiar with your state's gun laws: RSMO-Chapter 571

Google is your friend.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

What you have to do - nothing, take the cash and run as long as you don't know of any reasons why the person is not allowed to own a firearm.

What you should do - at the very least, check valid id and write down the person's info. Better would be filling out a generic gun transfer form and having both parties sign, maybe get a copy of the person's id. Best would be having an FFL do the transfer.

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    Here is what I do in KY

I get a copy of the buyers drivers license and permit (if any) and a stated date and TIME of the transaction
    The buyer answers three simple questions about the the legality of owning a firearm [ON PAPER]
    I give the buyer a copy of my drivers license, along with a date and TIME of transfer.
    We then exchange funds.
    Then the transaction is completed.

All paperwork is contained on two pages. (one for the buyer and one for the seller) Both includes model and serial number of the firearm(s) and a description of any accessories.

Here is is relitively painless. I had the local Sheriff to observe a transaction. He was impressed with the effort and seriousness of the transaction and commended both of us for trying to do things right.
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Links