Taurus revolver problem

This is a discussion on Taurus revolver problem within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a Taurus tracker , in a 17 hmr . Stainless ... I bought it new in 2010 . I'm having problems with the ...

Thread: Taurus revolver problem

Taurus revolver problem

I have a Taurus tracker , in a 17 hmr . Stainless ... I bought it new in 2010 . I'm having problems with the cylinder won't eject the empties . I've cleaned it many times . Seem to eject first couple of cylinders , no problem . After that its stuck , I bet 20 to 30 lbs of pressure wont eject those shells . I sent it back to Taurus , thru gun dealer who sold it to me . Taurus shot it seven rounds , said nothing wrong , sent it back . Dealer calls , tells me the scoop . I suggest he shoot it , second cylinder thru it , stuck again. Sent it back , same thing . He has sent it to them 3 times they do nothing to it , send it back . Dealer went up the chain of command , has authorization to send it in a 4th time . I googled this problem , and found a few people with same problem . One guy taps on his with a rock to get empties ejected ... Has anyone here had similar problem ? I don't want to bash a made in USA firearm , but the customer service has treated me , and my firearms dealer like we are incompetent , and act like they have never heard of this problem . Any input would be greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Had a similar problem with my Windicator for a few trips to the range- then I noticed that I hadn't cleaned the chambers properly. Shooting .38spls through a .357mag, and that seemed to cause some of the casings to stick into the cylinder from time to time.

I fixed it with a really good cleaning with a bore brush. Not necessarily your problem, but it fixed mine.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

I've never had a Taurus gun. Some people love theirs, but from what I hear, if you have a problem you're unlikely to get decent support.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    For starters, Taurus is made in Argentina, not America. Second, have you checked to see that the ejector rod is screwed in all the way? Sometimes if it isn't it can not generate the force needed to knock the rounds out of the cylinder. Also check to see if the cylinders have been sized correctly, an improperly sized cylinder can cause these issues after a few rounds because of powder build up.
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

I believe several Taurus models are made in Florida now, the rest are made in Brazil (but then again Springer 1911's have been known to come from Brazil as well). I've owned two Taurus guns never had to send either in. Considering the time that you've had it I doubt they'll just swap it out. Given what you've said should they manage to repair it I believe I'd be looking to sell/trade it when i got it back. My father had a similar problem with a Taurus .22 magnum, the cylinder would sometimes bind and the empties were hard to eject. He'd only had the gun a week or so they just gave him another one, it's working fine. His was/is stainless too BTW.
    "Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back."
    Captain Malcom Reynolds "Firefly"

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Check the chamber sizing, and give it a soak and scrub too death. Also check for cracks...long shot but a crack in a chamber could really stick a round in there.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

I have a 941 .22 and had a problem with the cylinder sticking and minor issue withe the casings binding. Binding was just a good cleaning, but the cylinder sticking had to go back to Taurus. They fixed it and no problems since. It seems to be a common problem with the .22 from what I hear.
    US ARMY Veteran 1965-1967 Vietnam 1966-1967
    WELCOME HOME TO ALL WHO SERVED, AND FOR THOSE STILL SERVING,
    A BIG THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE. FOR THOSE OF YOU DOWN RANGE
    WATCH YOUR 6, AND KEEP YOUR HEAD DOWN.
    A PATRIOT BELIEVES IN IT....A VETERAN LIVED IT

Try polishing the cylinder bores, or have it done. I just read some posts on another forum from somebody having the same problem(different make and model), polishing solved his problem.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    I second Rasher's suggestion. Check the individual chambers for roughness and polish them if needed. The ejector rod could also be rough, so check it for smoothness. These two items are the only thing that could cause your problem. I don't think its a cleanliness issue, guns are designed to shoot quite a bit before fouling inteferes with performance.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Word of advise , sell that and stay away from Taurus... For revolvers spend a little more but get quality from the best revolver manufacturers of all time ..(S&W)
    I have yet to be attacked by a block of ballistic gelatin but.........

Links