What do you prefer .17 hmr or .22 mag and why?

This is a discussion on What do you prefer .17 hmr or .22 mag and why? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Which plinking caliber do you prefer and why?...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By 10thmtn

Thread: What do you prefer .17 hmr or .22 mag and why?

Which plinking caliber do you prefer and why?
    I have yet to be attacked by a block of ballistic gelatin but.........

I've not had much experience with the .17 HMR, having only knocked over a armadillo in my friend's garden with his .17 at about 30 yards. Between the .17 and .22 Mag I'm taking the .22 Mag because it is definitely harder hitting down range. I've had some experience with the cartridge and it works well. Is adequately flat shooting too.

For plinking though I'd much prefer the .22 Long Rifle over either of the above.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I am a big fan of .22 mag. I hunt varmint with it extensively. All the .17 has over the .22 mag is range. If I am going out past 150 yards hunting varmint, I grab the .223 anyway.

If I am plinking, I do as bmcgilvray said and choose .22 lr

I like my 17 over the 22. Its more accurate and faster than the 22. Only has 10 ft lbs of energy less than the mag at 100 yds so no huge difference there. They both kill hogs the same. For target I'd use the 17.

I liked the 17 the few times I have shot one but I own a 22 mag. As stated above for plinking 22LR gets my vote.

this is one of my 917v models in .17hmr but i sold it now want it back.....the other wood stock was my 22lr sold as well..
    Attached Images
    I have yet to be attacked by a block of ballistic gelatin but.........

I don't have any experience with the .22 WMR, but I do have a .17 HMR

I chose the hummer because it seemed, to me, to have slightly better accuracy. I'm sure that a mag owner, that's familiar with it, could do just as well.

I know that there is some mag ammo out there that boast 2300 fps, that's pretty close to hummer speed, so the gap narrows.

Another reason that I got the .17, is because I already have a .223. So the WMR seemed a bit redundant in my case.

I do believe that CZ sells a rifle that comes with a .17 HMR, and .22 WMR barrels.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    I don't have any experience with the .22 WMR, but I do have a .17 HMR

I chose the hummer because it seemed, to me, to have slightly better accuracy. I'm sure that a mag owner, that's familiar with it, could do just as well.

I know that there is some mag ammo out there that boast 2300 fps, that's pretty close to hummer speed, so the gap narrows.

Another reason that I got the .17, is because I already have a .223. So the WMR seemed a bit redundant in my case.

I do believe that CZ sells a rifle that comes with a .17 HMR, and .22 WMR barrels.
    I think what your talking about is the 455 American. It comes in a combo pack of 17 HMR and 22 LR.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

22lr for plinking and small game. 22 mag for larger varmits. Got no use for the 17. Power and flat shooting don't mean anything if it doesn't have enough arse for good penetration. IMO.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    I think what your talking about is the 455 American. It comes in a combo pack of 17 HMR and 22 LR.
    I see that model on the website, and I cannot find anything showing a .17HMR/.22WMR combo, but I have seen them at a LGS. Perhaps it was specifically ordered that way.

I'm gonna do some more searching and see what I can find.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

For plinking I use .22 LR...because I'm cheap!
    SFury and itschuck like this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Sponsored Links