Pro-Gun / Anti-Gun Mindset

This is a discussion on Pro-Gun / Anti-Gun Mindset within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm sure some of you have dealt with this dynamic: I've got in-laws that are pro-gun and vote pro-gun. However, they show NO interest in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Pro-Gun / Anti-Gun Mindset

Pro-Gun / Anti-Gun Mindset

I'm sure some of you have dealt with this dynamic: I've got in-laws that are pro-gun and vote pro-gun. However, they show NO interest in owning a gun and hesitation at my offering to teach them and their daughters to shoot. I figure that since they let me marry their oldest, they trust me. Their reaction was nothing short of surprising....an almost anti-gun response.

They live on 5 acres in rural country and all of their surrounding neighbors shoot. In fact, the day I proposed us shooting (to which my mother in law gave a pretty emphatic "no") we heard their next door neighbors shooting. I offered for us to join the neighbors in target practice. Again, "no."

What kind of conversation do you suggest I have with them to try to get them to loosen up? They live in a rural area and it would take police a while to respond to any sort of situation...their baseball bat against a burglars gun is a very one-sided fight. I almost feel like I'm at the point where I have to resort to "scare tactics" with them, though I don't even know if that would work. They are well prepared for a SHTF scenario because they always stock a lot of food...but that's worthless if can't defend your resources against someone. AND AGAIN the mom's excuse is that "neighbors have guns and they would help protect us." Neighbors can become pretty two-faced when it comes survival.

Any advice would be appreciated.
    “Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws.”
    - Plato

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Not too much you can do, other than to point out the facts to them. As the old saying goes: "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink.".
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I think that's a string you can't push across the table. You're not likely to change their minds. You may, however, make inroads with their daughters via your wife, assuming your wife shares your beliefs. Don't push or cajole, and don't make the gun thing an issue. If the topic of 'survival' or SHTF scenarios come up, offer your opinion, but don't get into warp drive trying to change their minds.

If it is at all imaginable that in the event of a "Lights Out" or similar scenario you and your wife might join your in-laws at their place, perhaps you can ask if it would be OK to store a gun and some ammunition there. I'm thinking a beater 870 with a few boxes of slugs and buckshot in a cheapie hard plastic case. Won't take up much room and as long as it's in a black box that doesn't scream 'gun' it might just get a roll of the eyes ("my wacky son-in-law") rather than a "heck no."
    Tzadik and oneshot like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Some people are so affraid of being in a self defense situation that they would rather live in denial that it could happen to them.
    It's very rare to have their minds changed except through horrible experience.

Don't make the viewpoint an issue for them to take a stubborn stand against. It just makes it harder for them to see truth.
    Be supportive and informative when asked and hope that if the SHTF, you are there or her neighbors live up to her expectations.

Well, you've already pointed out their pretty pro-gun so it's a start. One thing you need to do.....in a slow, round-about fashion..... is to find out WHY they're so aginst shooting and having/owning guns themselves. I'll bet there's something in the past that keep them at arms length from gun ownership.

Either way, no pushing or trying to chang their minds (in any hurry anyways). That'll insure they wonj't open their minds up any further.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Be thankful that they are pro-gun...that's half the battle. Don't push it, they'll come around, eventually. If they don't, what difference does it make to you?
    If they are at peace with their decision, let it be...
    rachilders likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

What if the parents had said no instead of "allowing" you to marry their daughter?

The point is that people do what they want. Not much you can do.

Sometimes people agree with something, but do not participate in it. My advice is just to let them be, they might come around, but be glad they a pro and not anti...
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Why do you have to push it on them? They are pro-gun, leave it at that. Keep pushing, and they may even change their mind about that. What if they were anti gun, and kept bugging you not to shoot, how would you like it?

Have you taken your wife shooting? I would take her shooting, then maybe she could get her sisters interested. Your wife would probably have a much better chance than you about changing their views.
    .357 mag, When you care enough to send the very best!

Senior Moderator
    They are NOT pro-gun.

If they were, their attitudes would be different.

Actions speak louder than words.
    GunKeen and C hawk Glock like this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    They are NOT pro-gun.

If they were, their attitudes would be different.

Actions speak louder than words.

^^^^^^^^THATS how I see it^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

As well.

Their indifference to firearms, may seem to you, to be pro-gun, but their actions speak volumes.

Send them this link, and then leave it at that.

Make a choice
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

I'd say your in-laws are a lost cause.

As far as your wife's other siblings, I would leave that up to them. If they want to learn to shoot, I'd help them out. Provided they are of the age where they can make up their own minds, legally. You just will likely need to find some other location to teach them.

As HotGuns stated, you're in-laws are definitely not pro-gun. That's their decision to make.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member
    There are lots of things that I might be in favor of which I wouldn't choose to do. I respect your right to go skydiving, being one example.

Leave them be.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

There are two types of gun owners. The ones like us who want to be prepared. We have seen the ugliness in society and want to protect ourselves from it just in case.

There are the gun owners who like to hunt, shoot, or collect guns. Yes, they want to own and use guns, but they don't want to see the darkness that resides within society. They are pro-gun, yet still are anti-gun in many respects. My brother, and some of my other family members are this way. Until they are forced to see why they should be prepared, then nothing will change their perspective.

I only wish my brother had spent some time with the third (and ugly) generation of guys my family used to hunt with. He would probably be armed now if he had. He lives in Phoenix, and the fact that he doesn't CC bothers me. Still, I only ask about the subject when a convenient moment arises. We don't talk enough as it is.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links