Approached by Church Member to go Shooting with Wife and I

This is a discussion on Approached by Church Member to go Shooting with Wife and I within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Mods, move this if it is in the wrong thread. A few months ago I casually mentioned to a woman we go to church with ...

Like Tree14Likes
  • 5 Post By JoJoGunn
  • 3 Post By NC Bullseye
  • 1 Post By Skeeter64
  • 1 Post By apvbguy
  • 1 Post By Diddle
  • 2 Post By searcher 45
  • 1 Post By MinistrMalic

Thread: Approached by Church Member to go Shooting with Wife and I

Approached by Church Member to go Shooting with Wife and I

Mods, move this if it is in the wrong thread.

A few months ago I casually mentioned to a woman we go to church with about shooting. She seemed intrigued with the idea my spouse shoots. She entertained the idea but thought her husband might not approve.

We were finishing up a church fundraising play, taking down props, cleaning up and her husband approached me and asked the next time we go out to the range to shoot, he and his wife wanted to go! He even said he'd buy ammo! It was all I could do to not jump up and down shouting "yaaaaahooooo!" Very casually I said, "That would be great! We should plan it soon!"

We haven't set the date or time yet, but soon. This will be a prime opportunity for firearm training and safety. The husband said he shot years ago and enjoyed it, but has not gone in a long time. His wife has never fired a gun. I'm excited.

Colour me happy!
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

2. Remove Ads

One word of advice. With new and infrequent shooters, make the first half hour AT LEAST on safety, the four main rules of safety, and range rules. Then have eagle eyes the rest of the time.

Good on you for the invite and good luck in getting a few new shooting buddies.
    JoJoGunn, Tzadik and jem102 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    One word of advice. With new and infrequent shooters, make the first half hour AT LEAST on safety, the four main rules of safety, and range rules. Then have eagle eyes the rest of the time.

Good on you for the invite and good luck in getting a few new shooting buddies.
    You read my mind. I was going to suggest going to their home, taking my handguns and going over each of the features, function and use before we head to the range, load up and pull the trigger. That way, they are acquainted with them prior to spewing copper jacketed lead.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by JoJoGunn View Post
    You read my mind. I was going to suggest going to their home, taking my handguns and going over each of the features, function and use before we head to the range, load up and pull the trigger. That way, they are acquainted with them prior to spewing copper jacketed lead.
    Great start!

My new shooter class has about 2 hours before live ammunition is even seen. If they see that safety is first a ton of fears disappear. Don't forget to stress the importance of eye and ear protection too. Many first time shooters fail to understand the needs for this.

Good luck with your range outing with the couple from church. I WOULd have been jumping up and down like a little kid. I love it when I can get someone involved/reinvolved with shooting.
    JoJoGunn likes this.
    .357 mag, When you care enough to send the very best!

I think putting your range guest through a 2 hour lecture is a bit over the top, you should go over basic gun safety, and safe range procedures and then when they shoot stand on their shoulder while they are on the firing line and you should be ok. bringing new people into the fold is always a good thing.
    MinistrMalic likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    I think putting your range guest through a 2 hour lecture is a bit over the top, you should go over basic gun safety, and safe range procedures and then when they shoot stand on their shoulder while they are on the firing line and you should be ok. bringing new people into the fold is always a good thing.
    If you are referring to what I said, this isn't for a range guest, it's a class they choose to take.

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    War Story...

I approched a local Pastor and childhood friend to see if he knew of a place where me and my wife could shoot. After a little chit-chat he told me he had a 20 acre place on his daddys farm where we could shoot. Three hundred yards and right in the side of a mountian. Come to find out, he shoots there frequently. He has a couple of AKs, enjoys hunting and sport/target shooting. It really stuned me. While I know that there are many men of the cloth that own guns, I was shocked to learn this about him. He is a real funny, wholsome guy with a fantastic family. It's really amazing who you run into and the things you discover about old friends. Who would have thought I would have been shooting with a fellow I grew up with 40+ years ago.

Best!
    JoJoGunn likes this.
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

I am a full time pastor and CHL holder and carry every where it is legal.

Have been to the range with a good number of my congregation and enjoy the fellowship and shooting.

I carry while in the pulpit and the church knows it and are happy with it.
    MinistrMalic and Tzadik like this.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by Diddle View Post
    War Story...

I approched a local Pastor and childhood friend to see if he knew of a place where me and my wife could shoot. After a little chit-chat he told me he had a 20 acre place on his daddys farm where we could shoot. Three hundred yards and right in the side of a mountian. Come to find out, he shoots there frequently. He has a couple of AKs, enjoys hunting and sport/target shooting. It really stuned me. While I know that there are many men of the cloth that own guns, I was shocked to learn this about him. He is a real funny, wholsome guy with a fantastic family. It's really amazing who you run into and the things you discover about old friends. Who would have thought I would have been shooting with a fellow I grew up with 40+ years ago.

Best!
    I'm a bit of a heathen but more than one of my church going shooting buddies tell me that their preachers and many members of their churches carry, one of my friends teaches a safety course for new shooters at his church once a month, another one runs an armed security detail at his church

A lot of churches are forming their own security teams now and getting some good training...just in case TSHTF. You'd probably be surprised how many that go to church that are CCW holders and do carry all the time. My grand-dad carried for years...nobody ever knew until one day it became uncomfortable behind his wallet and he placed the .38 snub-nose on the night table. His 40+yr old sons both looked at each other...they never knew either. Some things are best left unsaid. That being said, you could have your pastor announce that anyone that carries or is interested in shooting sports (new potential CCW friends) could meet after church to discuss going to the range for some fun (like bowling night) and learning some gun safety. Plan a day and get a good instructor to show up too....just might surprise you how many wemen that would be interested in going too, but were afraid to ask.

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    Heck, our church practically has a rod and gun club! And our pastor (that's me) does NRA pistol classes on the side for fun. So everyone knows if they want to shoot, I am their guy. :) I have about 8 members of our church in my NRA PPITH/AZ CCW course next Saturday!
    Tzadik likes this.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    Yep, church and firearms mix well. In fact I just received a Dale Fricke Zacchaeus rig I ordered for my Preacher's Glock 23. I will be presenting it to him next week at lunch.

Yep there are many christian gun owner out there, Safety first, maybe convince them to take a safety course first
    Why?? Because at the last second, the Police are minutes away.

jyo
    As the known "gun guy" amongst my group of friends, I often get asked to go out shooting with newbies young and old---after the usual safety meeting, I introduce them to my "learning gun" a very old Remington Nylon 66 22lr. It doesn't take long to get the basics down and with a bag of old fruit and some Hi-Vel 22 HPs, the fun starts! Of course, they get to do the clean-up!

Links