Manufacturing Firearms

This is a discussion on Manufacturing Firearms within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I had a conversation today with someone who gave me a very interesting bit of information. He said if you built your own gun it ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Manufacturing Firearms

Manufacturing Firearms

I had a conversation today with someone who gave me a very interesting bit of information. He said if you built your own gun it is completely legal to not register it. Now this just sounds horribly wrong to me. Am I right in assuming this guy is an idiot, or am I missing something? Needless to say I think his logic may be to his detriment.

I would like to get some clear info, or perhaps policy to point out to him if I happen to cross paths again.

2. Remove Ads

Do not walk away from him....RUN. We have no national firearms registration. But I am pretty sure you have to have a Class 2 FFL to be able to legally manufacture firearms. Somebody may step in and prove me wrong but now way I would even attempt this without licensure.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    I think you need an ATF tax stamp
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Senior Moderator
    I had a conversation today with someone who gave me a very interesting bit of information. He said if you built your own gun it is completely legal to not register it. Now this just sounds horribly wrong to me. Am I right in assuming this guy is an idiot, or am I missing something? Needless to say I think his logic may be to his detriment.

I would like to get some clear info, or perhaps policy to point out to him if I happen to cross paths again.
    It is perfectly legal to build your own gun unless your particular state does not allow it.

You can not build it with the intent to sell it. You sell it after owning it for a period of time if you wish.
    Technically, you do not need to serialize it, but it is highly reccomended for a couple of reasons. One, is to have a number that can supplied to the Cops if it gets stolen.

Most states do not require registration of guns anyway, although some do.There is no national requirement of registration.

Two...most cops will confiscate a gun that does not have serial numbers...thinking them to be ground off. Most of them have no idea that you can legally build your own gun and that a serial number is not required, so it would avoid a lot of confusion.

The guy is far from an idiot..he knows the law better than most here.
    Katana likes this.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Wow. Never thought you could just piece something into a working firearm.

Despite the fact that he was right I stand by him being an idiot. I will refrain from diving further in...

Senior Moderator
    I think you need an ATF tax stamp
    Negative.

A tax stamp is only needed if the gun is select fire, full auto, short barreled rifle or shotgun, or classed as an AOW, (Any Other Weapon) such as a cane gun or a pen gun.
    Katana likes this.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Senior Moderator
    Where's hotguns for the answer?
    I'm HERE ! You just posted a minute after I did...

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Senior Moderator
    As a tidbit of information...

there are several boards that are dedicated to just this thing...building your own guns, and they have lot of useful info, both informative and legal for those that dont want to beleive it.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

This is exciting. If only I had any sort of metalworking skills. Could get one of those fancy .50 bmgs I see everyone building.

VIP Member
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Senior Moderator
    Could get one of those fancy .50 bmgs I see everyone building.
    Like these? I built these years ago,two .50BMG's....before I became an FFL.

zeppelin03 and gottabkiddin like this.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

There we go! No need for two though. I am sure they just fill up your safe. I got a wonderful 10/22 I will offer you on trade.

Senior Moderator
    Thanks for the offer but I already have a 10/22.
    Suppressed...

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    It is perfectly legal to build your own gun unless your particular state does not allow it.

You can not build it with the intent to sell it. You sell it after owning it for a period of time if you wish.
    Technically, you do not need to serialize it, but it is highly reccomended for a couple of reasons. One, is to have a number that can supplied to the Cops if it gets stolen.

Most states do not require registration of guns anyway, although some do.There is no national requirement of registration.

Two...most cops will confiscate a gun that does not have serial numbers...thinking them to be ground off. Most of them have no idea that you can legally build your own gun and that a serial number is not required, so it would avoid a lot of confusion.

The guy is far from an idiot..he knows the law better than most here.
    I concur as I appear to be one of the ignorant...good to learn something new.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Must agree. Learning is fun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links