Stereotyping

This is a discussion on Stereotyping within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I don't want to bash anyone, but i just read an article by Gabe Suarez that called a Special Forces A-Team "12 steroid-abusing freaks of ...

Thread: Stereotyping

Angry Stereotyping

I don't want to bash anyone, but i just read an article by Gabe Suarez that called a Special Forces A-Team "12 steroid-abusing freaks of nature armed with machineguns."

It was used in a somewhat understandable context, but it is still negative stereotpying that hurts people. It is just like calling all of us interested in shooting "gun nuts" or "Rambo-wannabe's." Now if you are aself-proclaimed gun nut like myself that's one thing, but to be labelled that by another is just wrong.

The whole article is here, it makes some very valid points, but this one hit a nerve. http://www.warriortalk.com/showthread.php?t=10044.
    "It is your evil that will be sought by us. With every breath we will hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood, until it rains down from the skies. Do not kill. Do not rape. Do not steal. These are principles that every man from every faith can embrace." -McManus twins Boondock Saints

2. Remove Ads

That doesn't surprise me in the least.

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

The only Special Forces A-Team members I know,(2 of them) are professional soldiers. They aren't freaks, but do have machine guns. I'm not sure which special forces folks Mr. Suarez knows, but they sure don't fit the mold of the guys I know.

Broad generalizations and stereotyping always hurt some demographic and should be avoided at all costs, excepting zombies.
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

Senior Member Array Ride4TheBrand's Avatar
    I read this article months ago and I realized the perspective in which it was written. Suarez was chastized on his own board, to which he responded:

"I was referring to some of the folks I worked with back in the old days. It was also meant as a parody (tongue-in-cheek) reference, and to point out the fact that a tem of such personnel cna take chances that you and I, by ourselves, cannot."

I knew this when I read it. And in another vein, I understand it all the more. When I tell other former Marines that I was Recon, many of the responses I receive go something like this: "Holy Sh**! Y'all are some crazy MFers"

Is that a stereotype? If so ~ works for me.
    "We must remember that one man is much
    the same as another, and that he is best
    who is trained in the severest school."
    ~Thucydides, History of the Peloponnesian War

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    by Gabe Suarez

Sorry , the id ended it for me , i did not bother to read any thing after that . so i cannot honestly comment other than my opinion of a trainer .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by Ride4TheBrand
    I read this article months ago and I realized the perspective in which it was written. Suarez was chastized on his own board, to which he responded:

"I was referring to some of the folks I worked with back in the old days. It was also meant as a parody (tongue-in-cheek) reference, and to point out the fact that a tem of such personnel cna take chances that you and I, by ourselves, cannot."

I knew this when I read it. And in another vein, I understand it all the more. When I tell other former Marines that I was Recon, many of the responses I receive go something like this: "Holy Sh**! Y'all are some crazy MFers"

Is that a stereotype? If so ~ works for me.
    Well, they do say most stereotypes are founded on some kind of truth right? In your case, Recon guys are crazy.

I was just waching the movie "A Life Aquatic" with Steffeny. Bill Murrys charictor said. "You know, when people speak that way about you, it means they are jealous.... But it still hurts"

BTW: Very funny movie if you like dry hummor, and or Glocks!

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    it's pure Envy.
    Let it go.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

Quote Originally Posted by gregarat
    I was just waching the movie "A Life Aquatic" with Steffeny. Bill Murrys charictor said. "You know, when people speak that way about you, it means they are jealous.... But it still hurts"

BTW: Very funny movie if you like dry hummor, and or Glocks!

Yeah, it's a great movie.

"Do the interns get Glocks?"

On my "boat"... They all would.

BTW: Ill send you a red cap, and a speedo, with good correspondence stock.

People are quick to make comments about things they either don't understand or wish they could expierence. Nevertheless, it is just no way to clean up bashing our service members especially during the times we live in.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

Links