Defensive Carry banner

Stereotyping

1K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  BlueLion 
#1 ·
I don't want to bash anyone, but i just read an article by Gabe Suarez that called a Special Forces A-Team "12 steroid-abusing freaks of nature armed with machineguns."

It was used in a somewhat understandable context, but it is still negative stereotpying that hurts people. It is just like calling all of us interested in shooting "gun nuts" or "Rambo-wannabe's." Now if you are aself-proclaimed gun nut like myself that's one thing, but to be labelled that by another is just wrong.

The whole article is here, it makes some very valid points, but this one hit a nerve. http://www.warriortalk.com/showthread.php?t=10044.

#3 ·
The only Special Forces A-Team members I know,(2 of them) are professional soldiers. They aren't freaks, but do have machine guns. I'm not sure which special forces folks Mr. Suarez knows, but they sure don't fit the mold of the guys I know.

#4 ·
Broad generalizations and stereotyping always hurt some demographic and should be avoided at all costs, excepting zombies.

#5 ·
I read this article months ago and I realized the perspective in which it was written. Suarez was chastized on his own board, to which he responded:

"I was referring to some of the folks I worked with back in the old days. It was also meant as a parody (tongue-in-cheek) reference, and to point out the fact that a tem of such personnel cna take chances that you and I, by ourselves, cannot."

I knew this when I read it. And in another vein, I understand it all the more. When I tell other former Marines that I was Recon, many of the responses I receive go something like this: "Holy Sh**! Y'all are some crazy MFers"

Is that a stereotype? If so ~ works for me.

#6 ·
by Gabe Suarez

Sorry , the id ended it for me , i did not bother to read any thing after that . so i cannot honestly comment other than my opinion of a trainer .

#7 ·
Ride4TheBrand said:
I read this article months ago and I realized the perspective in which it was written. Suarez was chastized on his own board, to which he responded:

"I was referring to some of the folks I worked with back in the old days. It was also meant as a parody (tongue-in-cheek) reference, and to point out the fact that a tem of such personnel cna take chances that you and I, by ourselves, cannot."

I knew this when I read it. And in another vein, I understand it all the more. When I tell other former Marines that I was Recon, many of the responses I receive go something like this: "Holy Sh**! Y'all are some crazy MFers"

Is that a stereotype? If so ~ works for me.
Well, they do say most stereotypes are founded on some kind of truth right? In your case, Recon guys are crazy. :banana:

#10 ·
gregarat said:
I was just waching the movie "A Life Aquatic" with Steffeny. Bill Murrys charictor said. "You know, when people speak that way about you, it means they are jealous.... But it still hurts:frown:"

BTW: Very funny movie if you like dry hummor, and or Glocks!

Yeah, it's a great movie.

"Do the interns get Glocks?"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.