Alternate target scoring?

This is a discussion on Alternate target scoring? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I don't know about the rest of you but I personally know a few guys that shoot .45's in competition that are shooting such softball ...

Thread: Alternate target scoring?

Alternate target scoring?

I don't know about the rest of you but I personally know a few guys that shoot .45's in competition that are shooting such softball loads that if I fired one in my P220 it wont come close to cycling the action. And these same people will on occasion make derogatory comments about the 9mm.

I am just wondering how many folks think the .45 would still be so popular in competitions if, instead of getting the higher of the two scores when a round breaks a ring the round was scored as the lower of the two.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Well, in the games I play they chrono the rounds, pull and weigh the bullets, and make sure people's rounds make an assigned power factor. In USPSA, lower power rounds score fewer points when they are outside the primary hit zone.

My P220 cycles just fine with 230gr at 750fps, by the way.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

I am talking about stuff where there are no power factors (that I am aware of) just holes in paper. Bullseye type stuff.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    In Bullseye I thought you got bonus points if your bullets stick in the paper...
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

I had a squib one time that at 10 yards bounced off the paper target
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    I don't know about the rest of you but I personally know a few guys that shoot .45's in competition that are shooting such softball loads that if I fired one in my P220 it wont come close to cycling the action. And these same people will on occasion make derogatory comments about the 9mm.

I am just wondering how many folks think the .45 would still be so popular in competitions if, instead of getting the higher of the two scores when a round breaks a ring the round was scored as the lower of the two.
    A long time ago I quit trying to make people do things "my way"
    Does it really matter if the person next to you is shooting a 160 Gr , 500 FPS load or a 250 Gr 1000 fps load. Shoot what you want to shoot and let them shoot what they want to shoot.
    I shoot a .45 because the holes in the target are larger therefore have a better change to "touch/cut" the higher scoring ring.

In my youth I shot the Roaring, kicking, make my hand numb loads out of a .44 Mag and grinned about how powerful they were. I laughed at people who wouldn't shoot the second round, chagrin them for being wimps.

Now in my Social Security phase of my life I have chosen to shoot a softer load for recreation. For my EDC SD load they are .45 ACP 230 Gr Gold Dots.
    FWIW I encourage you to shoot what you want and enjoy it, I will do the same.

Links