Converting an AR15 carbine to a target//varmit rifle

This is a discussion on Converting an AR15 carbine to a target//varmit rifle within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have an Rock River AR15 Carbine. I'd really like to make it a target and varmit rifle,Something that would be accurate out to say ...

Thread: Converting an AR15 carbine to a target//varmit rifle

I have an Rock River AR15 Carbine. I'd really like to make it a target and varmit rifle,Something that would be accurate out to say 300 or 400 yards on small varmits like prarie dogs.What would I need to change? I know I need a diffrent barrel but not sure what type would be the best. I'm shooting off the shelf PMC .223 ammo,I know target ammo would be better but what kind?
    I would rather die standing up than live life on my knees.

Have you considered a .204 upper?
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

No. I hadn't thought of that. I will definetly look into it.

RKM
    I'd get a 18-20" 1:7 barrel so you can shoot heavier rounds at greater distances. PMC is good for blasting away because it's fairly cheap, which is why I love it and shoot ALOT of it. But as far as accuracy, I don't find it to be very accruate.

Free float handguard and a good optic as well.

If you want to stay with .223, I'd experiment with several different types of ammo, before you buy a new barrel. It just might surprise you what it's capable of.

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

White Oak Precision and CLE make varmint/match uppers in .204 & .223 with 24"-26" barrels that are capable of .500 at 100 yd. with good loads or top line factory varmint ammo. You will need to change the butt stock, buffer tube, buffer and spring. You can use the stock trigger but will never realize the accuracy potential with it. I recommend any of the good two stage triggers out there. Whit Oak sells one of the better ones. A good scope of at least 10X will be required for chucks to 400 and 12X or better for dogs and ground squirrels.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

When power is up for grabs; personal liberty is usually one of the first casualties…

Bushmaster Upper Receiver Assemblies

20" Predator Upper Receiver/Barrel Assembly

Adapted from our very accurate and successful 24" Varminter, the Predator Upper Receiver/Barrel Assembly's 20" Fluted Extra Heavy Barrel is button rifled 1 x 8" to stabilize the heavier 69-77 grain bullets that a predator hunter/caller would choose for bigger varmints and predators. This superb barrel features fluting for increased cooling and weight reduction; an 11 degree competition crown; 1" diameter heavy profile under the handguard; custom match hybrid chamber with a tighter SAAMI Spec headspace from the shoulder of the chamber to the bolt face, and longer chamber throat or "Leade". This chamber accommodates 5.56mm ammunition without developing higher pressures encountered when firing 5.56mm ammo in a .223 chamber with shorter "Leade" (both calibers can be used safely). This Upper is sold complete with Bolt, Bolt Carrier and Charging Handle to ensure positive lockup between bolt and barrel extension. The Predator Upper also features a Vented Tubular Aluminum Free-Floater Forend with Bipod Stud (free-floats the barrel from the barrel nut forward) and B.M.A.S. 1/2" Mini-Risers to add scope height for correct sight picture and comfortable cheek weld.
    كافر AMERICAN INFIDEL كافر

Thanks for the info. I wasn't sure what all I needed to change. I wouldnt have thought of the butt stock, buffer tube, buffer and spring.What do I gain from changing the butt stock?

Quote Originally Posted by poppy37 View Post
    Thanks for the info. I wasn't sure what all I needed to change. I wouldnt have thought of the butt stock, buffer tube, buffer and spring.What do I gain from changing the butt stock?
    To my understanding the longer barrel assembly will not cycle correctly with the shorter system and lighter weight buffer. The longer barrel has a different gas port location and diameter.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

When power is up for grabs; personal liberty is usually one of the first casualties…

jem is right.

There are 3 different gas systems available for AR rifles. The carbine, mid-length, and rifle.

Due to the different gas block locations, the gas pressure introduced into the action is going to be different. So you have to consider all of the mechanics involved.

Not only is the buffer affected, but also the extractor, although maybe to a lesser extent.

It's not as complicated as it sounds. I highly recommend www.m4carbine.net for technical research on the AR.

Sponsored Links