Discovery Channel's Sons of Gun fakin' it - Page 4

Discovery Channel's Sons of Gun fakin' it

This is a discussion on Discovery Channel's Sons of Gun fakin' it within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by tbrenke I love how she closes her eyes just before every shot. and still manages to get close to the bulls eye. ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Discovery Channel's Sons of Gun fakin' it

Quote Originally Posted by tbrenke View Post
    I love how she closes her eyes just before every shot. and still manages to get close to the bulls eye.
    hogwash. bunch of trigger jerking.
    Blind Stephanie...

"He who does not punish evil commands it to be done." - Leonardo da Vinci

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadsnugun View Post
    "Son's of Guns" appears to me to be "manufactured" reality TV pure and simple, and quite boring other than the occasional interesting weapon that rolls through. You know that the genre has fallen on hard times when Discovery has to resort to intra-series guest shots to boost appeal (the ridiculous "dragon gun" and the guys from Paul Jr. Designs showing up in one episode) though I think the guest shot was more for Paul Jr's benefit than SOG. I'll watch it if they're doing something fun though (like 4 MG42's mounted up together (FAIL)....and the tri-whatchamacallit episode) but it's got to be a real slow TV night. Just my opinion YMMV.
    Reminds me too much of the, Choppers, loggers, frogers, truckers, Swampers etc. shows. We live in a time of very poor TV. Thank Heavens for Bonanza, Gunsmoke, Tom and Jerry and All in the Family.

Best!
    Magnum likes this.
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Gunsmoke and The Lone Ranger are available streaming on Netflix...I'm thinking some Bonanza too! Great Saturday morning fare in my household (to the groans of my 15 yo daughter *snicker* heeheehee)...you can't leave out "Bullwinkle and Rocky" either...man, they just don't make 'em the way they used too!
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

Quote Originally Posted by MotorCityGun View Post

Reality TV is in no way real. Most is staged. I've been involved in video taping / filming of several venues. I was filmed in a COPS episode in the 90's. It is first & foremost, entertainment.

Sometimes the director or producer will want a re-take of a particular scene that can not for a variety of reasons, be recreated as originally filmed. She was clearly shooting a Desert Eagle in one take, and on another she is clearly pointing a Beretta. In the editing process the editor will cut and splice as required to get the preferred results. If I had to guess, for some reason her firing the Eagle did not work out on film, but by the time it was reviewed, the gun owner had left, so they used what was on hand for the retake. If they are guilty of anything, they are guilty of being too cheap to recall the gun owner or of being in too much of a hurry to wait for her to come back and retake.

That doesn't mean that Sons of Guns is faked, but the bottom line is entertainment. I hope you don't believe everything you see on TV, or on the Internet. Even the "news" is, bottom line: sponsorship and ratings.

Desert Eagle.

Not Desert Eagle.
    Sui juris
    U.S. Navy Veteran '65-'69
    Retired Police Detective '71 - '01
    LEOSA Certified
    NRA Life Member / SAF Member
    U.S. Constitution (c) 1791, All Rights Reserved.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Her grip is also broken, I would think somebody who claims to shoot as much as she does would know how to properly hold a pistol.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    Yeah watch Swamp People and see one of the guys pointing a .22 bolt action at the alligator's head and take the shot. Next camera angle will show him holding a .22 pump rifle or even better a bolt centerfire with a scope. This got so rediculious this was one of the things I would concentrate the hardest on...finding the flub-ups.
    Proud NRA member

Shooting the DE is an eyes-open exercise; the Beretta only requires use of the Force.

Quote Originally Posted by orangevol View Post
    Yeah watch Swamp People and see one of the guys pointing a .22 bolt action at the alligator's head and take the shot. Next camera angle will show him holding a .22 pump rifle or even better a bolt centerfire with a scope. This got so rediculious this was one of the things I would concentrate the hardest on...finding the flub-ups.
    Most of those scenes were shot with a camera mounted to the gun. Obviously they aren't going to do that every time, so they re-use that portion. There's also a good bit of recycled footage of them wrestling the gators on the line. Not every one really fights like that, but they need to for good tv.

It's tv folks. I'm not too concerned with the flubs, since they don't affect the show at all. Its fun to find them, but to quit watching a show because of it is just stupid. They've had some cool builds. I've missed the last few episodes this season, but the first season and what I've seen of the second season looks fairly entertaining.
    joker1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by goawayfarm View Post
    I noticed in an early show (2nd or 3rd) they hired a new guy who 'didn't work out' & was fired by the end of the episode. I think he is an actor...... & you can see him in Arby's commercials singing their new jingle. (Andrew Breving)
    No. I went to high school in baton rouge and graduated with him in 1991. He's just a regular guy, not an actor.

Once one subtracts out the 'Black Plastic Bullet Wasters' and the phoney drama, there ain't much left.

Nothing of any real significance to a serious firearms student, anyway.

Okay, the episode with the flame thrower was the exception; but it was only because of the gentleman who knew how to work it.
    Anyone Worth Shooting Is Worth Shooting Well
    Please take a look at my Blog: http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/

What about the episode where they built the MLRS for the cargo ship guys. Those rockets wouldn't fly straight at all. There was no possible way to know where they were going to end up.

If I was going to shoot rockets at a pirate, I would damn sure want to get them across his bow instead of just in his general direction. Or better yet, just sink his ass. Good luck swimming back to shore from 12 miles out.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links