how to get a stuck 22. bullet out of the barrel please help

This is a discussion on how to get a stuck 22. bullet out of the barrel please help within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Good luck getting the bullets out. I would be very concerned with the integrity of the metal on that barrel due to the pressure you ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: how to get a stuck 22. bullet out of the barrel please help

Good luck getting the bullets out. I would be very concerned with the integrity of the metal on that barrel due to the pressure you have subjected it to. Might be a good idea to replace the barrel if it is cost effective enough or at least have it looked at by someone skilled in both gun smithing and metallurgy. At least that is the route I would take after not one but 4 bullets stacked up. Count your blessings that nothing happened to your hands or face.

2. Remove Ads

My two cents...a 1/8th stainless rod x 24" (cut to lenght)..sharpen with fine slots as to make a bit..should be almost flat not like a pencil..slow speed with hand drill..clear cutting frequently..done rite wont marr your barrel lands...if you can get a straight insertion from the bolt end, get a 3/16 stainless rod ...dress the edge, of contact end..tap out the lead...If you are "tapping"..might want to drop a bronze slug the barrel bore McMaster-Carr 2-3 days has rod in what ever alloy...made this lashup a number of times to daylight through walls/roof assemblys.....somebody is probablly gonna do both ,drill, and slug it out.....or...... give it to a smithy...love to hear from a gunsmith on proper method....luck

WOW!, the metal bucket handle thingie did'nt work huh!
    Stubborn likes this.

IIRC I think CB rounds are for pistols only,anyhow the 22 bullets even with four in the barrel should tap out fairly easy,like others said use a 3/16 brass rod,either Home Depot or Lowes has them,cut rod about an inch longer than barrel then make sure gun is held solidly and then start whacking on the rod,I wouldn't worry about barrel damage from the rounds since they are a low pressure round and won't even cycle the action on a semi auto.
    Just think a few more bangs and ya coulda told us how many 22 bullets it takes to fill a barrel full of lead
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    IIRC I think CB rounds are for pistols only,anyhow the 22 bullets even with four in the barrel should tap out fairly easy,like others said use a 3/16 brass rod,either Home Depot or Lowes has them,cut rod about an inch longer than barrel then make sure gun is held solidly and then start whacking on the rod,I wouldn't worry about barrel damage from the rounds since they are a low pressure round and won't even cycle the action on a semi auto.
    Just think a few more bangs and ya coulda told us how many 22 bullets it takes to fill a barrel full of lead
    Hrm...I dunno about that. I use CCI CB Longs in my suppressed 10/22 all the time. At any rate, I'm in agreement with the other guys on the 3/16" brass rod. I had to do that once with an unexpected squib in my old marlin. I ended up using a mallet to drive it. That was also only 1 round though. I don't know about 4 stacked...that's nuts. Guess you weren't verifying the rounds were on target huh...
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    i hope he still has the box it came in
    and the original paperwork
    than with the return address he can pen them a note...

i think we all know what the note says
    Thunder71 likes this.
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by glockrocker View Post
    WOW!, the metal bucket handle thingie did'nt work huh!
    The old bucket handle trick...Imagine that...go figure. MAN, and ruined a perfectly good bucket for nothin'.
    Thunder71 likes this.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Try putting the gun in a freezer and cooling it down.
    The co-efficient of expansion of stainless is about 6 and lead is 16.
    so the lead will contract more than the steel.
    Then wrap the gun in a towel and give it a good spray of gun oil and try tapping it out with a dowel.
    CaptSmith likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hoghunter84 View Post
    ^most can tell if a high caliber round doesn't exit because of the sound difference. You really cant tell on a no powder 22 round. They are very quiet to begin with.
    Most can tell when a new hole doesnt appear on the target 4 times in a row :P

Quote Originally Posted by bottlerocket View Post
    Most can tell when a new hole doesnt appear on the target 4 times in a row :P
    I'm not sure about that. What if he wasn't shooting at a paper target? I could certainly see myself doing something like that with a rifle if I were shooting at a soda can sitting in the grass or something like that. (we never learned if it was a rifle or pistol, did we?) That is assuming the sound was exactly the same as a normal round. I'd just assume I missed the can or something. Since I certainly don't make a habit of looking down the barrel after every shot, I could certainly see this happening.

I like Gun's & More's idea of freezing it.. That is actually pretty darned ingenious.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Quote Originally Posted by Guns and more View Post
    Try putting the gun in a freezer and cooling it down.
    The co-efficient of expansion of stainless is about 6 and lead is 16.
    so the lead will contract more than the steel.
    Then wrap the gun in a towel and give it a good spray of gun oil and try tapping it out with a dowel.
    Well if were gonna use science lead melts before steel does,anybody know how hot an oven can get
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by waystro View Post
    okay i was shooting no powder 22 bullets and there is about 4 stuck in barrel
    Knock it off! Son, this spanking is gonna hurt me more than it's gonna hurt you. But if you keep doing this stuff, you're gonna end up in the hospital.

Seriously though, you ought to Google "squib load." They can be dangerous and I think you're lucky that you were using NO powder .22's. Things would have probably gone bad following even the first shot with a normal .22 round.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

it's a rifle. and thank's adric22 i was just outside plinking and when i got done i check the barrel and saw blockage.and claude clay it's a old rifle from wincester made that from 1930 to 1939 so its old

it's a rifle. and thank's adric22 i was just outside plinking and when i got done i check the barrel and saw blockage.and claude clay it's a old rifle from wincester made that from 1930 to 1939 so its old. so far i have a wincester 22 rifle.a new haven 410 shotgun. a horton explorer hd crossbow took my first rabbit with the crossbow. killed a bout 4 snakes with the 410 thanks yall. i

If they are Colibri from Aguilla they won't hurt the barrel. I've taken a few out of rifles and never seen damage. I use a brass jag tip on an old cleaning rod and tap the shortest distance with a little oil.

Of course the most I've seen is two in a row.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links