Finally got a classic S&W revolver

This is a discussion on Finally got a classic S&W revolver within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; For a long time now I have been wanting to get a good, classic, mid sized Smith and Wesson revolver. I just never could seem ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Finally got a classic S&W revolver

Finally got a classic S&W revolver

For a long time now I have been wanting to get a good, classic, mid sized Smith and Wesson revolver. I just never could seem to find the right one, at the right price. I wanted a .38 or .357, with about a 4" barrel.

Lo and behold yesterday I went up to the gun store (I was actually curious about some police trade in Glock 21's they have, but as people told me when I started a thread about them a little while back, the grip is just too big). And in their trade in display case, they have about 50 S&W model 64's, that they had just put in that morning. They sales folks said that they were a big batch that got traded in by the Corrections department. I got a super friendly sales guy who was content to let me go through about 6 different ones in the case before I found the one I wanted. A lot of them had aftermarket grips, but I wanted one with the original grips. I can always go buy a replacement set if I don't like the originals, I can't go buy the original ones for the gun back.

So I selected a 64-5 with a 4" barrel, which seemed to have a good lock up and timing still, as well as nice crisp rifling in the barrel. There are some scratches in the finish, which I am fine with, it was a work gun, and will be a shooter, not a safe queen. The trigger is nice and smooth, and what one would expect from Smith and Wesson. Here is a crappy cell phone pic on my ugly placemat:

64-5.jpg

I think for right around $300, it was a pretty good deal, as it should last forever. Do any of you know of a way to determine the age of a S&W revolver from the serial number? I should be shooting this fine revolver next Friday night, and will give a range report then.
    pistola likes this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

2. Remove Ads

You got a good buy on a great revolver. Congratulations.

VIP Member
    Looks like a later model but its easy enough to verify by someone with a serial number reference guide, or a quick call to Smith' in the morning.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Nice catch! I came across the same gun at a show a few years ago - police turn-in, 4 inch, nice smooth action, looked like it spent more time in a desk than being carried or shot. A few months later, a got a companion 64 snubby, with factory DAO/bobbed hammer conversion - supposedly a NYC cop gun. Both are rugged and really nice shooters - I introduced my former boss to shooting with the 4-incher, and had him hitting the A zone regularly inside of a few cylinders full. For shootin' pleasure, these are tough guns to beat. You got a good price, too.

So far there is no central S&W source for dating their guns - you have to buy the collectors book. But there are a couple of S&W collector forums out there with helpful members that will look up the date if you ask nicely - at least that approach worked for me. Google "date S&W serial number" and you'll get some good resources.

FWIW, my 4" is a 64-3, S/N AWW3xxx, manufactured in 1987. The 2" is a 64-4, S/N BEK8xxx, made in 1989.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I can't help you with the age, but that is a nice pistol. I think if I found one at a local gun shop at that price, I would have to pick one up as well. That looks like a pretty good deal.
    .357 mag, When you care enough to send the very best!

At 300.00 pop I would buy two!
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    At 300.00 pop I would buy two!
    FWIW Rollo, Bud's in KY has Model 10's for $269 shipped, and I can give you the info for my shop, if you are interested in having them ship one to your shop.

FWIW, my 4" is a 64-3, S/N AWW3xxx, manufactured in 1987. The 2" is a 64-4, S/N BEK8xxx, made in 1989.
    If I am correct in assuming they number things logically at S&W, mine with a BAR1xxx SNO, would be made somewhere right in the middle there, like 1988.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Cool

You did real good Buckeye.45

I carried one for a couple of years in the early 70's.

One day I will find the round butt 3" barrel one I am looking for.

Good on ya again for the great buy on a great gun.

OS
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Thanks everyone, I really want to go shooting this pistol, but my "shooting fund" for the week got used up yesterday by busting clays all afternoon, so it is going to have to wait until Friday.

I think it will see a lot of range use, especially when I have friends who have never shot a revolver, and want to try one out, as this will work much better than a J-frame for that.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Do any of you know of a way to determine the age of a S&W revolver from the serial number?
    Someone here is sure to have the 3rd Edition Standard Catalogue Of Smith & Wesson. Supica & Nahas.

If you don't have a Smith wheelie in your stable, well,.....you need one.
    Everyone needs the Smith Bible as well. If the OP sends me a serial, I'll copy back everything it says.....

VIP Member
    Sweet deal on a great revolver, congrats.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

outstanding weapon at a great price! Good catch!
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Great looking wheelgun and a outstanding price.

Great gun Buckeye! I love my 64, very good shooter.

I meant to get down to Buds today to look over those M10s, but just couldn't get there. Maybe tomorrow.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links