Ever have a bad day at the range???

This is a discussion on Ever have a bad day at the range??? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Trying out new sights, then finding out you are a foot low with them at 50 feet. The Ameriglo I-Dots and I did not get ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Ever have a bad day at the range???

Trying out new sights, then finding out you are a foot low with them at 50 feet.

The Ameriglo I-Dots and I did not get along, the front was too high. Freaked me out that I was shooting like that, so I replaced the front with a big dit which was .015 shorter and POOF dead on-headshots on a B27 at 50 feet dead on.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    I've only been going to the range for a few months and seem to still be mostly improving, so it is hard for me to say if I have had a bad day in the accuracy regards yet.

However, I did have a "bad day" experience that I won't quickly forget. I was shooting a SIG P239 9mm and the hot casing ejected, hit me in the face and went right down between my face (just to the outside of my eye) and my safety glasses and stuck there. I must have looked hilarious trying to get those things off my face fast. In the process I even knocked the ear muffs off. One thing that I had read is that in a real stressful situation you won't notice things like how loud the bang is from a gun going off. While this isn't something I have experienced, I did notice after I lost the muffs and was trying to stop the burning that the guns around me didn't seem all that loud. Strange how that works.

Yesterday we were at the range and a hot casing went down the front of my wife's shirt and burned her good. I told her she was lucky that it didn't stick in her undergarments or should would have flashed everyone trying to get rid of it.

Never a bad day at the range. Shoot like crap, Yep. Happens to all of us.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    ...I happened to have a shotgun and four boxes of shells and a crate of clays in the back of the SUV...
    I was at a buddy's house when he mentioned he would like to do some shooting and I happened to have my .22 and 9mm in the truck safe, 100 rounds of each caliber under the seat, a pack of disposable ear plugs, and a pack of shoot-n-see targets. What luck, we set up a range in the far reaches of his back yard. Go figure.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Hey BugDude, I look forward to bad days at the range, that sets the bar for how I know I have to train to overcome those days. My luck is the day I need to use a firearm in self defense is the day I'd have a bad day on the range.

Take it as a challenge to work through. I just start with talking myself through the basics. Grip, sight pic, breathing, trigger press, and follow through, and usually I find where I'm off and then work at correcting it.

If not, I shoot some piece of electronics that has been irritating me for a while. As Bullwinkle says "Presto" good day!

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    The only time I've had a "bad day" at the range has been due to equipment issues. That leads to getting the issues (hopefully) fixed, which then leads to (at least) another trip to the range to ensure that the problem is indeed fixed. Those range trips are not fun ones...
    Haha I had a day when I broke a part of my bolt on my Savage, had a ton of jams from handloads on my HK, had a butler creek mag fail on my 10/22, but damn it was still a good day. Any day you can walk away from the range and you at least fire one shot is a good day :)

My shooting is starting to resemble my golf game. Good days, not so good days, days when one part of the game is on and another day when it is off and something else is on. What keeps me going back are the days when everything clicks. Keep training until those days are far more frequent than the days that don't click.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

VIP Member
    I once had a serious attack of the GI trots at the range. It was a half hour drive to civilization, so yes I've had a bad day at the range.
    BugDude and Genkisudo like this.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I once had a serious attack of the GI trots at the range. It was a half hour drive to civilization, so yes I've had a bad day at the range.
    Fair enough, you win that one lol

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links