Ever have a bad day at the range???

This is a discussion on Ever have a bad day at the range??? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So I went out to my buddy's farm Saturday and I couldn't hit squat. Not even with my trusty P95 that I can usually shoot ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Ever have a bad day at the range???

So I went out to my buddy's farm Saturday and I couldn't hit squat. Not even with my trusty P95 that I can usually shoot VERY well. Just an off day I guess, kind of like golf or any other sport.

So after not doing so well with my defensive calibers, I broke out my plinkers. My new Buckmark 4" bbl, snubnosed H&R 922, and 1948 Remington Filedmaster pump .22. I seemed to shoot them just fine. I ended up putting a couple hundred rounds through the Buckmark, about a hundred through the 922, and about a hundred from my pump rifle. My friends ended up putting a couple hundred rounds through them all too. We all shot them well. The Buckmark is a ton of fun. After shooting a small swinging circle .22 target from 10 yards (about the size of a silver dollar), I moved on to full beer cans from 30 yards (old beer that had gotten hot in the garage). So, that didn't last long, and we moved on to bowling pins at 100 yards. We walked it off and set up six of them at 100 yards up the hill. We started out with the little pump rifle (irons sights sighted in at 50 yards), and that wasn't too difficult. Four or five shots and I was on it. After we all did that, I suggested trying it with a pistol. So we set them back up and used the 4" bbl Buckmark with open sights that were sighted in at 25 yards. It took me about a magazine and a half (15 shots) on each pin, but I finally got them all knocked down. It was a very windy day, so we were having to adjust our aimpoint for both distance and wind. It was a fun exercise on a day when we weren't having much fun otherwise.

I wonder if shooting the Buckmark so much since I got it is messing me up on my other guns? It has a totally different sight picture on it than my other guns but I've never had any trouble adjusting from one to another before (lots of different revolvers and semis with different sight pictures). Oh well, we ended up having fun anyway.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

The only time I've had a "bad day" at the range has been due to equipment issues. That leads to getting the issues (hopefully) fixed, which then leads to (at least) another trip to the range to ensure that the problem is indeed fixed. Those range trips are not fun ones...
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

It was the first time in the 3 years I've had my P95 that I've not shot it well. On days when I'm not shooting well with anything else, I can usually hit with it. I'm going to give it a week or so and go back out. Weird.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    It was the first time in the 3 years I've had my P95 that I've not shot it well. On days when I'm not shooting well with anything else, I can usually hit with it. I'm going to give it a week or so and go back out. Weird.
    I had that issue with my pt140 the other day. I haven't shot it in awhile and I think the snappy recoil made me flinch a bit. I shot the center out of that same target with my 1911, though. I'm getting too used to that .45. Lol.

I have had one bad day at the range about 5 years ago or so. I cracked the frame on my Pre 70's Colt Commander in 38 Super. I had more than 180,000 rounds down the pipe. It was a bad day at the range and a sad day for me.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Affirmative. Some days the concentration is off or something. Sort of like bowling.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    we ended up having fun anyway.
    This is the bottom line! Don't let an off day drag you down.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

compared to a good day at work...NOPE!

But really, yes! Whether it's with my rifle, pistols, shotgun or bow...somedays I'm just not on and instead of wasting ammo and getting frustrated I call it a day and come back another time
    Psalm 23
    In God I trust, it's the rest of you I'm concerned about

Certified Smith & Wesson M&P pistol and MP15 rifle armorer

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    I have a fair amount of difficulty shooting indoors in a noisy range. Absolutely no issues, confusions, noise concerns or safety concerns shooting in an outdoor range. I think I shoot marginally more accurately indoors (probably things like wind).

I've learned never to go shooting when I haven't eaten all day. The shakes and trying to shoot accurately don't go together.
    Walk Soft likes this.

Administrator
    Yeah I do, if you never do, your a liar.

Just this past weekend, I was out and about running errands for the wife and I happened to end up near the state run trap range. I happened to have a shotgun and four boxes of shells and a crate of clays in the back of the SUV, so I figured, what the heck.
    Now, at the public state ranges, you'll hardly see world class shooters and fancy shotguns. Its typically Mossbergs and a few Remingtons and a few guys having fun not really caring if they hit anything or not. So I pull up, put together my shotgun (which got a few snide, but good natured, comments by itself). As I was setting up, a young guy asked me if I knew how to set up the machine... I guess these guys couldnt figure it out and were hand tossing their clays. So, I showed them how, gave a few pointers and went about my business.
    As I began to shoot, I knew it was an off day for me. I missed the first three and last two. I also had a malfunction. It was my fault, the Beretta was dry as a bone.
    "Just blame Sixto"

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Yeah I do, if you never do, your a liar.

....I happened to have a shotgun and four boxes of shells and a crate of clays in the back of the SUV, so I figured, what the heck.
    Funny how that "happens"...

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Funny how that "happens"...
    Yeah, my life is full of strange coincidences like that.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Whec shot terrible last week. Started out with the 1911, shooting a sloppy shotgun pattern. I decided to bolster my confidence by switching to the G19, (which I'm usually surgical with) and shot even worse.

I've come to accept that I have bad days. It just stinks when I also have spectators on those bad days.

Never a bad day, but I've had those days when it felt like I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links