Best trigger for beginners...you agree?

This is a discussion on Best trigger for beginners...you agree? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Thoughts?...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By gasmitty

Thread: Best trigger for beginners...you agree?

Best trigger for beginners...you agree?

Thoughts?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Doghandler's Avatar
    OK, sure, I agree with the DAO recommendation especially since I sometimes pocket carry and, well, you know.

That part about the holes in the ceiling, the wild second shots - Good grief!

I would have to say it's not about triggers so much as recoil,I always start a new shooter off with a safety briefing and then start with a 22,light recoil and no recoil trauma,once they get the basics down and are getting good accurate shots,I ask if they would like to shoot a 9mm,tell them everything about the gun and how the trigger works etc.I have never had anybody I taught put a round in the ceiling
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Making the trigger harder to pull is buying the perception of safety at the cost of accuracy in my opinion. If it costs me accuracy it can also lessen my safety as well.
    If I were forced to have a heavier trigger pull I would want it the same for each shot if safety with some accuracy was required. Sometimes under certain circumstances I could see where preventing accidental discharges would be more important than initial accuracy.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Doghandler View Post
    OK, sure, I agree with the DAO recommendation especially since I sometimes pocket carry and, well, you know.

That part about the holes in the ceiling, the wild second shots - Good grief!
    I'm have a CW9 and I love it. I'd suggest it for anyone new. But yea, if I go to a range with lots of bullet holes in the roof, I'll be sure to have a good gap between myself and other shooters.

IMO a long heavy (or heavier) DAO trigger is tough on beginners just due to the long pull. Keeping the gun on target through a longer pull is harder for new shooters from what I've seen

It kind of depends on perspective. If your goal is maximum accuracy out of the the box for someone with minimal exposure to firearms then it kind of depends. However, for teaching the core basics of good marksman ship I don't think anything beats a double action revolver. I honestly wish I would have learned to shoot on one. Don't get me wrong, I loved growing up shooting my dads high power but ever since I bought my SP101 and really started concentrating shooting it double action my accuracy with all the rest of my guns has increased at least 25 percent.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

I'm with Rollo. You DONT need to be worried about the best trigger on a self defense pistol for a beginner because by the time they carry, they SHOULDNT be a beginner any longer. If you think a CHL/CCW/whatever class is good enough to prepare you, think again.

Get a .22, learn how to pull the trigger correctly. Then get a 9mm or something small to carry and work with that. If you're gonna hit the ceiling or floor (as this guy said in the video) there is no damn way you should carry or you WILL end up killing/wounding someone nearby. Learn to shoot, then carry, in that order.

There is no blanket "best trigger for beginners"...individual choice. I started with a Mark II .22, then went to a SIG P226 (DAO/SAO).... not a problem for me...
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Was there video with this? All I got was a sound track.

With all respect due the OP if it was his video/narration, I'll step up and just disagree. The narrator seems preoccupied with "psychological comfort" of the "beginner" carrying a sidearm. By all means, we want people to be comfortable and competent with the weapons they carry, but a blanket recommendation to start with a DAO to gain "comfort" is putting the cart before the horse. Maybe this is a stretch, but it seems to me that if left to this individual, we would have a nation of police officers carrying DAO sidearms until they reached some predetermined level of psychological comfort with "advanced" trigger actions. Perhaps the narrator is reflecting his own history with sidearms, or maybe he just underestimates the collective mentality of newly armed citizens.

In the big picture, if you have come to the emotional, psychological and intellectual conclusion that you can employ deadly force to protect your life and that of loved ones, then the selection of which action to choose for "comfort" is nearly trivial in comparison. A hundred years ago there were far fewer choices - maybe three, tops - and there were proportionately probably a lot more people carrying defensive arms than there are today. Armed citizens picked from what was available and moved on.

I will not question that some folks are uncomfortable with Condition 1 carry (cocked and locked) and the extra pushups required for administrative handling of single actions (all that complicated moving of the thumb safety). And although I'm not an instructor, every person that I have coached and guided in the pursuit of carrying sidearms legally has been sufficiently motivated to learn how to handle the weapon of their choice. These are all adults, and while the pace may have been slow at first, there were no training wheels involved.

I just dispute the notion that a single-action auto is somehow a gun for "experts" and the DAO is for "beginners." In spite of the friendly nature and presentation of what I heard, my view from 20,000 feet was that it was overall condescending.

Just one man's opinion.
    GM likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

The best trigger for the beginner is a disciplined one.

Some questionable facts, loads of absolutes (which raise my eyebrow at accuracy) and a handful of downright inaccuracies (type of trigger does not dictate safeties, just happened to be his examples), as I expect from watching youtube, this is an opinion video and he gives it, more power to him. He quantifies his opinion which is nice that he's willing to back it up and explain it, in the end it's still opinion.

Glock Certified Armorer

Links