Wife Instigates Range Trip

This is a discussion on Wife Instigates Range Trip within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My wife is generally not comfortable around firearms. For years I would have classified her as an "anti". She has become comfortable with my carrying, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Wife Instigates Range Trip

VIP Member

Wife Instigates Range Trip

My wife is generally not comfortable around firearms. For years I would have classified her as an "anti". She has become comfortable with my carrying, but has not generally been willing to go to the shooting range. Well, yesterday, she decided to go to the range – she even brought it up. As it turns out, she has been talking with a female friend who shoots with her husband.

I told her that I would bring a good smattering of guns she could try out. We took:

- Ruger Mark II with bull barrel & target grips - .22 cal
    We started with this gun and she liked it pretty well, but she thought the gun was too heavy. The bull barrel and target grips with the stainless frame are relatively heavy, but it shoots really well. She was hitting at about an 8” circle at 15 yards. I was surprised she put the target out that far as she had stated she wanted to keep the target close. She started at about 5 yards, moved out to 7 yards then went to 15 yards.

- S&W K frame - .32 long S&W – her mom’s gun
    This is a small framed revolver that does not at all fit my hands. I did not have any ammo for it and neither did the range, so she wants to go back and try this out after I get the ammo in. Ordered 500 rnds from Ammunition To Go : Your one stop for all of your ammunition needs! today.

- S&W 640 – stainless snubby with target .38 loads
    After she noted that she did not like the length of the barrel on the Ruger, I loaded up the 640 and showed her how it works. I shot the first cylinder full and she recoiled at the noise. She declined to shoot this one.

- Taurus PT99 – 9mm full size and relatively heavy gun – absorbs recoil
    She shot a mag full. She did not really like it because she did not feel she could handle the recoil. We were shooting 147 grain handloads, but this weapon really soaks up the recoil. She did not limp wrist it and had no FTF/FTEs, but she did not like it.

- SA Limited Combat 1911 in .45 cal.
    After shooting the 9mm, she did not even want to try the .45.

To make a long story short, she had a pretty good time, but did not really like the noise. I knew that in advance, so I had her wearing ear plugs and over the ear muffs. She also did not like the feel of the ear protection. Her encouraging comments were that she liked the .22 caliber and wants to shoot her mom’s .32.

Although she like the .22 caliber, she seemed to want to try a lighter/shorter gun. The Ruger is the only .22 handgun I own and although I really like the Ruger, I have never been a big .22 handgun fan. My question for y’all is – what .22 handguns do you have and like that is smaller than the Ruger Mark II? If you can show pictures, that would be a plus. Thanks to all for participation in this thread.

I doubt we will ever get her to CC a weapon. Heck, I don't even know if we will get her to shoot a SD caliber, but her instigating the trip and enjoying it is a big move in the right direction. It has only taken 29 years to get here (and lots of trips to the knitting store).

FWIW, I realize the .22 and even the .32 are not ideal protection rounds and that is not the intended use for these weapons.
    Justified likes this.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

2. Remove Ads

You just might be surprised, your wife maybe like mine and become a pistol packing momma.

If her talking friend is a encouragement to her, and she sees the need for protection, she may have a real attitude change.

That .32 might just be the start of her move to becoming a PPM.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Not much expirience with .22 handguns but I can't help but say WOOT WOOT for you. No get her talking to my women
    We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would harm us.
    - George Orwell Military

Nice it's always a good day when the wife instigates a range trip

I think if I was in that position I would suggest something in .22 LR / .22 Mag. combo as it seems the next step up. Maybe like a Ruger Single Six convertable? Still low recoil but .22 mag. may start getting her used to the pop a bit.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

The Walther P22 has a very small grip and is available in a number of sizes. I know S&W makes the 351PD that is a J frame 22 mag. You might also look at the Sig Sauer Mosquito. The Walther and Sig can both be had in pink...LOL
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Did you have the urge to smoke a cigerette afterwards?

I don't have much experience with .22 hand guns other that a ruger I purchased just for cheap plinking. I don't recall it feeling that heavy but I also know my wife actually prefers shooting her LCP over the .22. I like the Sig P238 but its a little heavy for a and bulky compared to some smaller weapons. Its also a bit pricey, but its reliable has night sights and I can carry it everywhere.
    My wife likes the P238 but she loves her LCP and I ain't going to tell her what to shoot. I learned that the hard way.

Glad your wife dragged you out to the range.

My wife now likes to shoot her .380 so much I am going to be able to by reloading press and won't have to defend the purchase. Thats always a good thing.
    Anticipation of Death is Worse Than Death Itself.
    Psalm 46:10 "Be still, and know that I am God;

22s are a lot of fun!

So for something smaller there are a lot of 22 handguns out there. Going on the premise that smaler means physical size vice weight:

Taurus PT22 (.22 LR) - have one and it a fun gun; tip up barrel; racking the slide is a bear but the tip up barrel makes it OK; Berretta has a similar model but at higher cost; have had my PT-22 for several years and never had a problem with it; cost about $229

Taurus Model 94 (.22 LR)- several barrel lengths; I got the 2" snub to practice with since I carry a .38 snub; some folks complain about the trigger pull but it's not horrendous in double or single action; 9 shot; light in weight and small; fun to shoot; wife uses it and she has small hands and had a stroke a few years back; ((Model 941 is .22 MAGNUM); cost about $370.

Heritage Arms has several single action six-shoters; have a bird's head with 3" barrel and a 4 inch barrel Rough Rider; grandkids like them; not beautiful guns but very functional, easy to use and shoot well; these usually have two cylinders (fluted = .22LR; not fluted = .22 Magnum); run about $180.

Ruger Bearcat - small dimunitive 22 six shooter; used one and its fun; MSRP $542.

Love 22s.
    USN Retired

During my last transfer, the seller was showing me his Smith and Wesson Semi-auto .22

He loves it. I've never seen it. Let me look at Gunbroker and see if I can find one.

Crap, couldn't find one on Gunbroker.
    His looked like a 9mm. semi-auto, not a target pistol, and even had a threaded barrel.

Maybe a 422, but not quite right.

Have her try a Sig 238
    It's a very soft shooting gun.

My suggestion is to limit the number of guns for her to choose from to maybe two per range visit. Also, keep the session short enough so she's not fatigued from the noise and the recoil.

Beyond that, yes, the Ruger .22 pistol is heavy! Especially the bull barrel models that we cherish for their accuracy. How about a Taurus .22 revolver (or something like a S&W M63 .22/.32 Kit Gun, if you can find one)? The Sig Mosquito or the Walther .22 auto are pretty light guns, too.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I got a Sig Mosquito on sale a couple years ago...hated the thing until I got the 1st thousand rounds through it, now I think it's great! Nice ergo grip, spot on accuracy, small, fun to shoot! Definitely worth a look.
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    The Browning Buckmark has an alloy frame that should be lighter than the Ruger, and has models with non-bull barrels. Doesn't Ruger also make a polymer framed 22?

Distinguished Member
    I have a Sig Mosquito and a S&W 422. Each is a non-target, training type 22 that looks and operates much like a carry pistol (vs the Buckmark or Mark II target 22's).

I normally use the 422 for any beginning shooter friend. It is fun and cheap and soft shooting of course. You get the feel of the big gun without all the ouch. The Sig Mosquito is good to get the idea of the DA/SA concepts and how other more popular carry guns operate.

Are they accurate? Not really. Fun for entry shooter? Heck yes. Cheap to shoot, yes. Fussy on ammo, YES. They occasionally get in a jammy mood, but for a fun range gun that's ok with me.

And, waaay easier to clean than the Mark II.

Get one of these along with some fun spatter targets and she will be moving into a Glock 19 and permit to carry in no time.

VIP Member
    Thanks to all who have responded so far. I plan to take a look-see at the guns suggested so far and then guide my wife through them while allowing her to take her pick. Hopefully, we can actually shoot it before we buy.

Quote Originally Posted by cammo girl View Post
    And, waaay easier to clean than the Mark II.
    You got that right. I think cleaning toilets on Mars while standing on earth is easier than cleaning the Mark II - well almost.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links