The Ruger Mk III

The Ruger Mk III

This is a discussion on The Ruger Mk III within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just a small writeup on the new Ruger Mark 3. This handgun is fast becoming my favorite for a couple of reasons.Its designed from the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Moderator

The Ruger Mk III

Just a small writeup on the new Ruger Mark 3.

This handgun is fast becoming my favorite for a couple of reasons.Its designed from the factory to be suppressed. Ruger is one of several gun factorys that are jumping on the suppressor bandwagon right along with Remington,Savage,Marlin,Browning,Walther,Sig and even Beretta. Just about everyone is producing threaded handguns or rifles with various features to accomodate the growing popularity of suppressors, due to customer demand and dealer request.

This Ruger is pretty familiar to most shooters. It has what is known as the 22/45 frame, the controls mimic that of a government model .45 and the grip panels are interchangeable. As you can see in the picture, the grips are nice enough that I really didnt see the need to change them and if you are used to the .45 this gun feels natural in the hand.The barrel is purposely cut short to 3.5 inches. This is to keep the ammunition selection simple. I shot numerous rounds through this gun and my favorite ammo for suppressed guns in the CCI Subsonic. Its accurate and its consistent. This gun eats this stuff up, I have yet to have a failure to feed or eject and this gun is approaching the thousand round mark.

The barrel keeps the supersonic stuff subsonic due to the shortness of the barrel, and the concept works pretty well, to be honest, shooting the supersonic ammo dosent seem much louder at all. Thats a good thing, you can get the el cheapo Remington box of 550 at Walmart, or the Federal stuff and shoot to your hearts content and you can do it just as quietly as shooting with the more expensive subsonic stuff.Its as accurate as any Ruger handgun made, with or without a suppressor.

This gun suprised me, as the accuracy is excellent right out of the box. With a suppressor attached,this gun will shoot the center out of a target at 25 yards with one ragged hole shot out of the center. The sights are made a bit higher so that you can see over the typical can. Since most .22 cans are around the 1 inch diameter mark, the sights give you a normal sight picture, which is a great idea as with the use of most suppressors the sights are hidden and virtually worthless so that you have to "point shoot" which isnt that great if you are actually trying to hit something small. You simply bring the gun up to eye, put the sights on whatever it is you want to shoot and that bullet will be there if you do your part.

A thread protector is standard equipment in case you dont want to mount a suppressor. It's knurled and is easy to get on and off. The front sight is placed directly behind the threads and is screwed to the barrel. The barrel is threaded for the 1/2-28 threads, which is pretty much the industry standard here in the States.This gun comes with 2 mags and a cute little pouch and its reasonably priced around 350 bucks. Its accurate, simple and it works.

It really excells with a good suppressor on it, this one sports a Huntertown Arms can, which is probably the best value on the market, rivaling the big names cans in performance for half the price.

About the only negative that I can say about this setup is that for some reason, Ruger decided to put a magazine disconnect on it. Why anyone in their right mind would do that is beyond me, but it is there. For those unsure of what that means, it means that the gun will not fire without a magazine.Some engineer should be beaten severely for including that on there. I understand that it can be disconnected with a bit of patience, and at some point in time I plan on doing that.All in all its a great little gun that begs to be suppressed and its accurate enough that one could use it to dispatch pesky squirrels while sitting in a deer stand, or to teach the kids how to shoot in the backyard without alerting the neighbors if its legal to do so.

For the money, its hard to beat.

I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Nice writeup HotGuns. Good luck with it, and good shooting. Enjoy.
    US ARMY Veteran 1965-1967 Vietnam 1966-1967
    WELCOME HOME TO ALL WHO SERVED, AND FOR THOSE STILL SERVING,
    A BIG THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE. FOR THOSE OF YOU DOWN RANGE
    WATCH YOUR 6, AND KEEP YOUR HEAD DOWN.
    A PATRIOT BELIEVES IN IT....A VETERAN LIVED IT

VIP Member
    Thanks for the info, this is tempting me again regarding suppressors
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Senior Moderator
    That's my demo gun ppkheat...
    So far, its 100 percent.

Meaning, that every single person that has shot it ended up buying a suppressor.

Shoot one and you'll never be the same...
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Administrator
    I really like mine. I've outfitted it with a Tacsol upper...which is threaded....
    "Just blame Sixto"

Thanks for making me want a suppressor even more. Maybe if I get a Christmas bonus. I have a 22/45 it would look really good on.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Senior Moderator
    Yeah...the TacSol uppers look good. Real good.
    You should have talked to me Sixto. I'm a TacSol dealer. I could have hooked you up...

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Yeah...the TacSol uppers look good. Real good.
    You should have talked to me Sixto. I'm a TacSol dealer. I could have hooked you up...
    Really? Somebody got me thinking about doing another 10/22 today...
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    Yeah really. I'm thinking of doing a Ruger 10/22 that looks like this...just for fun...

http://i798.photobucket.com/albums/y...C_3081.jpgjust[/url]
    Last edited by SIXTO; September 1st, 2011 at 10:13 PM. Reason: fixed link

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Really? Somebody got me thinking about doing another 10/22 today...
    Don't blame that on me. You always want to build another 10/22.

Hotguns, maybe you have an answer to this. Is there any good way to make the mags on a Mark III 22/45 to drop free better? Mine seem to barely drop out of the mag well at all, maybe 1/4 of an inch, if that.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Administrator
    I like that barrel. The stock looks goofy though.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    I dont know Buckeye.Mine drop free.

Sixto... the stock does take getting used to. Its beauty lies in the utility of it. It'd be just the thing for backpacking. Light and quiet.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Administrator
    It would be cool as a backpacking gun. I think I want to build an ultimate squirrel killing machine. I've built them before for others, but never one for me.

Buckeye, are you sure your not torqing the grip? Are you using factory mags? Like we talked about earlier, mine doesnt always drop free completely, but they do drop. If you want, borrow a few of my mags and try them. Or take my gun and try your mags.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Well, I'm sitting here with it right now. It seems that of the two magazines that came with it (both factory), one is a worse offender. So I guess it is a mag issue.
    One drops 1/2 an inch or so, and the other one barely drops at all.

Maybe I will try to give Ruger a call sometime and see what they say.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Senior Moderator
    I already have the ultimate squirrel killing machine. Its a stainless Ruger with a 20 inch bull barrel...integrally suppressed of course. It sports a matching Nikon scope.

Shooting squirrels with that thing almost isn't sporting. A while back I wacked 4 out of one tree. I was slipping through the woods in a way that would have made a Ninja SEAL proud. I walked within 30 yards of two squirrels that were chasing each other around a huge oak tree. Around and around they went. They finally stopped about 4 feet off of the ground and I wacked the top one. As he fell, the botton one got this quizzical squirrel look on his littel face and he couldn't figure out what the deal was, so as to end his suspense,I whacked him too. I took about 3 steps towards them and two more squirrels behind me bust out and up into the trees...chasing each other. I swung around to try to get on one, but all I saw was a grey blur that I think was a squirrel but I really couldn't tell. They ran through several trees and jumped right into the same tree that saw the demise of their two buddies. They ran down the tree, stopping about the 4 foot mark and both of them were looking at the two laying on the ground. The top squirrel started barking at the two dead ones...and I figured, what the heck, he'll never hear the shot. So I squeezed on off and he fell right on top of the other two. That freaked the remaining one out, so he ran back up the tree doing around Mach 2. He kept looking at his buddies laying there and his curiosity got the best of him and back down the tree he ran, right abouts where I shot the other 3. He must have thought they were taking a nap and attempted to wake them up by barking at them, and to spare him the grief of him realizing that his buddys would never play again, I whacked him too. I shot 4 squirrels out of the same tree in less than a minute...thats half a limit.

Suppressed squirrel rifles are wonderous things.

I've got my Marshal talked into getting one of the units above, the 22/45 with the can to put in the patrol car of whoever is on shift. This time of year we dispatch a lot of deer that have been run over and rather than pull the Glock 21 out to make a bunch of racket, one or two shots with the can wont be waking anyone up if it happens to be at night.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links