Used Guns & Running the Numbers

This is a discussion on Used Guns & Running the Numbers within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; OK, I have recently been considering buying a gun from a friend who needs some money and he lives in another state. I know that ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Used Guns & Running the Numbers

VIP Member

OK, I have recently been considering buying a gun from a friend who needs some money and he lives in another state. I know that I have to do the transfer through an FFL, but I have tried to get my local PD to run the SN to see that it comes back clean before I do the deal. They have simply ignored the request - twice. If I do the deal and for some unfortunate reason have to use it and they then run the numbers and it is not clean, I would have problems.

So, my question is - how do you get the cops to run the numbers on a used gun before you purchase it? Any input is appreciated.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

If you have doubts simply get an FFL to do the transfer. 35-50 bucks for a piece of mind.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    If you have doubts simply get an FFL to do the transfer. 35-50 bucks for a piece of mind.
    Legally, because he is in another state, I have to go this route. Shipping is approx $25 and transfer fee is $25. That does not, however, mean the gun won't come up reported as stolen - does it???

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

I believe if you shoot someone with it they may run the numbers? This may be counter productive but I'll bet it works. ; )
    Anticipation of Death is Worse Than Death Itself.
    Psalm 46:10 "Be still, and know that I am God;

Cops will not run the numbers of a gun without it being in their hands. If it comes back hot, they want to have custody of it.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    Cops will not run the numbers of a gun without it being in their hands. If it comes back hot, they want to have custody of it.
    So how does one protect themselves from charges of receiving stolen property if you have no way to know? I don't think the gun is hot and I trust my friend, but I know he bought it used as well.

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    If you are that concerned don't ever buy used.

Truth is unless you know every former owner you will never know its history.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

VIP Member
    Since it is going through a FFL I wouldn't worry about it. The FFL will have a record of the date of purchase, and the guns history before that date isn't your problem.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    Did your frend buy the firearm new? If so, how well do you trust your friend? If he bought it new and is a person you trust, I would not worry about it. If however there is ANY doubt, let sleeping dogs......

WAR STORY - Had a crazy nutcase friend. He bought a P3AT. I cleaned it and loaded it for him. After a 6 months of domestic violence (against him) he needed some cash. I DID buy the pistol. ONLY becaues it was in the exact same condition as it was 6 months prior and obviously never been fired while he owned it. Eventhough I felt a hesitant I was comforted in the fact he did not do simething ignorant with it. Please note, he was not able to have cleaned it due to his physical limitations even if he had shot it.

Be careful and best to you!
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    Not true. I've called the Louisiana State Police several times in the past and had the desk officer run the serial # for me.
    However the last time I tried this I either got a hard ass or they have changed the policy, I was given a different # to call by several people and I believe ended up speaking with someone from my local sheriff's office who ran the #s for me.

They have always been inquisitive as to why I'm calling them and I say I'm not buying any used gun without checking the #s and they are fine with that.
    rolyat63 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by LongGoneDays View Post
    Not true. I've called the Louisiana State Police several times in the past and had the desk officer run the serial # for me.
    However the last time I tried this I either got a hard ass or they have changed the policy, I was given a different # to call by several people and I believe ended up speaking with someone from my local sheriff's office who ran the #s for me.

They have always been inquisitive as to why I'm calling them and I say I'm not buying any used gun without checking the #s and they are fine with that.
    That is a rarity then because every one I've talked to or had others contact will not without the gun in their hands in case it is stolen. Other wise thieves that steal guns could call and see if the gun they stole was reported or not.

Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    So how does one protect themselves from charges of receiving stolen property if you have no way to know? I don't think the gun is hot and I trust my friend, but I know he bought it used as well.
    RSP generally requires specific knowledge that the item is stolen or circumstances ($300 item for $10 or such) that would indicate to the average person that the item might be stolen.
    SIXTO likes this.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

VIP Member
    If the guy is your 'friend' and its being shipped from or to an FFL then you should be good. Some of the best deals in guns come from hardship cases just like this.
    Diddle likes this.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

If you want to check to see if it is in the Florida database (not sure if it's linked maybe a LEO can tell us) FDLE provides that service.

FDLE Public Access System | Stolen Guns Search
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

This obviously only applies to Oregon but Oregon State Police has a free Stolen Firearm check for private citizens:

Oregon State Police - Identification Services Section Firearms Instant Check System (FICS)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links