question regarding firearm private sale

This is a discussion on question regarding firearm private sale within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; When you purchase a new firearm at a gun store or dealer you buy the gun is the serial # attached to your name? Another ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 45Gunner

Thread: question regarding firearm private sale

Question question regarding firearm private sale

When you purchase a new firearm at a gun store or dealer you buy the gun is the serial # attached to your name?

Another question if you sell it to another person and they commit a crime with that firearm is the serial # going to come back to the original purchaser or the new owner?

I ask because i want to know how the gun is tracked by law enforcement to see the real owner of the weapon.
    I have yet to be attacked by a block of ballistic gelatin but.........

2. Remove Ads

Tracked using the serial number by going from the manufacturer, to the distributor, then to the FFL/dealer that sold it, then to the person that filled out the 4473. If that person sold it, it depends on how good of records they kept or were required by their state to keep. That is often the last link in the chain.

So the serial really means nothing unless the gun is reported stolen? Anyone that is legal to posses a firearm can have it as long as it's not reported stolen? What paperwork will the LEO ask you for to confirm it's actually your firearm?

Quote Originally Posted by defensive007 View Post
    So the serial really means nothing unless the gun is reported stolen? Anyone that is legal to posses a firearm can have it as long as it's not reported stolen? What paperwork will the LEO ask you for to confirm it's actually your firearm?
    I do not know the laws in your state but in Oklahoma there is none. Unless they are showing it as stolen there is nothing for me to prove.

Michael

In SC private sales are legal and require no paperwork....as long as you do not sell to someone whom you know cannot posess a firearm...

In someone comes asking you about the weapon, you tell them you sold it....and to whom if you can remember.....so yeah in SC serial numbers really dont mean jack.

Quote Originally Posted by defensive007 View Post
    That's the norm, some states may require other documentation but it's not the norm.

If your state doesn't require it then if an officer asks for documentation that proves it's yours ask if a note from your mother is sufficient. Otherwise don't worry about it.

Nothing in KS. Guns can change hands many times down the line. Best bet is to just never sell one......BUY BUY BUY, never sell! :)

Purchasing or selling a firearm by private sale is all about CYA. I have this form I have the buyer/seller complete and check their ID while doing so. It is my CYA in case somewhere down the line something goes south.

FIREARM BILL OF SALE
    Buyer certifies that they are not restricted or forbidden by law to own a firearm and buyer states that he/she:
    • Has NEVER been convicted in any court of a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding 1 year.
    • Is NOT a fugitive from justice.
    • Is NOT an unlawful user of or addicted to any controlled substance.
    • Has NEVER been adjudicated as a mental defective or has been committed to a mental institution.
    • Is NOT an alien illegally or unlawfully in the United states or an alien admitted to the United states under a nonimmigrant visa.
    • Has NOT been discharged from the Armed Forces under dishonorable conditions.
    • Having been a citizen of the United states, has NEVER renounced his or her citizenship.
    • Is NOT subject to a court order that restrains the person from harassing, stalking, or threatening an intimate partner or child of such intimate partner.
    • Has NOT been convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence
    • CAN lawfully receive, possess, ship, or transport a firearm.
    • Is NOT a person who is under indictment or information for a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding 1 year.
    I truthfully state that I AM NOT a person who cannot legally buy, receive, and posses firearms and/or ammunition.
    Full Name _________________________________________ Signature _______________________________________
    Firearm(s) sold
    Make: __________________ Model:_____________ Caliber: ____________ S/N: _______________ Cost: ___________
    Make: __________________ Model:_____________ Caliber: ____________ S/N: _______________ Cost: ___________
    Buyer Seller
    (NAME) (NAME)
    (ADDRESS) (ADDRESS)
    (DL) (DL)
    (CWL) (CWL)
    (Contact #) (Contact #)
    I understand the firearm is sold AS-IS and no warranty has been implied or given. Firearm should be inspected by a
    competent gunsmith prior to using. Seller not responsible for any damages incurred or caused by the use of this firearm.
    Sale Conditions: __________________________________________________ ___________________________________
    Buyer Signature:_________________________________ Seller Signature:_____________________________________
    Sale Date
    Diddle likes this.
    45Gunner
    NRA Certified Instructor
    Gold Seal CFI
    1st Air Cav Vietnam Veteran

When I sold my guns (long long ago) I hocked 'em and sell the tickets. The paperwork is done at the pawn shop.

I sold my gun go a gun store and got a receipt from them with s/n and description. MAN i sold my revolver to them for $350 when I passed by their table about an hour later they had my gun on sale for $795.00 ***!!!!!!

I don't keep records I'm not required to. If I'm selling to a private individual, all I need to verify is his residency in my state.
    str1

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 45Gunner View Post
    Purchasing or selling a firearm by private sale is all about CYA. I have this form I have the buyer/seller complete and check their ID while doing so. It is my CYA in case somewhere down the line something goes south.

FIREARM BILL OF SALE
    Buyer certifies that they are not restricted or forbidden by law to own a firearm and buyer states that he/she:
    • Has NEVER been convicted in any court of a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding 1 year.
    • Has NEVER been adjudicated as a mental defective or has been committed to a mental institution.
    • Is NOT an alien illegally or unlawfully in the United states or an alien admitted to the United states under a nonimmigrant visa.
    • Having been a citizen of the United states, has NEVER renounced his or her citizenship.
    • Is NOT subject to a court order that restrains the person from harassing, stalking, or threatening an intimate partner or child of such intimate partner.
    • Is NOT a person who is under indictment or information for a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding 1 year.
    I truthfully state that I AM NOT a person who cannot legally buy, receive, and posses firearms and/or ammunition.
    Full Name _________________________________________ Signature _______________________________________
    Firearm(s) sold
    Buyer Seller
    (NAME) (NAME)
    (ADDRESS) (ADDRESS)
    (DL) (DL)
    (CWL) (CWL)
    (Contact #) (Contact #)
    I understand the firearm is sold AS-IS and no warranty has been implied or given. Firearm should be inspected by a
    competent gunsmith prior to using. Seller not responsible for any damages incurred or caused by the use of this firearm.
    Sale Conditions: __________________________________________________ ___________________________________
    Buyer Signature:_________________________________ Seller Signature:_____________________________________
    Sale Date
    Good stuff. My form is similar but only for one firearm and I require both people (buyer and sell) exchange copies of their drivers license.
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by 45Gunner View Post

FIREARM BILL OF SALE
    Firearm(s) sold
    Buyer Seller
    (NAME) (NAME)
    (ADDRESS) (ADDRESS)
    (DL) (DL)
    (CWL) (CWL)
    (Contact #) (Contact #)
    Sale Date
    this is way beyond anything that is required by law in FLA, if it makes you feel good, and you can get a buyer to agree to filling it out, great but I wouldn't do anything like this

Links