Suicide what-if scenario at gun range - Page 2

Suicide what-if scenario at gun range

This is a discussion on Suicide what-if scenario at gun range within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have heard of it going down here in florida a few times sad . I really wonder why someone would want to do that ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Suicide what-if scenario at gun range

I have heard of it going down here in florida a few times sad .

I really wonder why someone would want to do that that in public place .

A person should also not take a friend/relative to the shooting range if that person's mental health is questionable. It's the same as not like not letting someone who's had a few drinks get behind the wheel of a car. You never know if the voices in their head are going to give them some strange ideas.

We had a few suicides at gun ranges last year in Salt Lake. No range I've been to requires any type of permit but they do have you fill out a short questionnaire and release.

Those things happen so quickly, I'm not sure if there's much you can do with a suicide other than grab some cover and make sure they aren't trying to take anyone else out with them.

My local indoor range has had a few suicides in years past.

In order to rent a gun though you must have a Nebraska Permit to Purchase, Military ID or CCW license/permit.

One of the range workers told me a while back that before I had shown up to shoot that day, a guy had come in and he looked like he could be a suicide. It was before noon, the guy smelled a bit of alcohol, had red eyes (so either crying or high), seemed distraught and...

Had nothing with him, just wanted to rent one gun, one box of ammo and had none of the required items to rent a gun.

They turned him down and apparently he became verbally but not physically aggressive, but they had him leave and who knows what happended to him next.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

VIP Member
    Myself, I'm getting out of the line of fire. Someone determined to commit suicide is not going to be deterred. If they don't succeed the first time, they'll keep doing it until they succeed.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

We have had them at the range where I work. All very fast and no warning. One guy started in a middle lane, then moved to the lane against the wall to fire the last shot.

All we require (by our insurance co.) is a form that the renter signs that says they aren't suicidal. We have brainstormed ideas without success.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

The public range here is outdoor, very small, doesn't rent guns, and has no range officer or any kind of official person at the range. You bring your own gun and your own ammo, so it's highly unlikely I'd ever be in that kind of situation. If by some chance it did happen, I'd be getting somewhere else in a hurry.

After reading all the posts above, it set me to thinking. ( I know, that's not a good thing.) But I wonder what the actual % of people who rent, end up doing themselves in. maybe .00004 %? Just have too much time on my hands I guess.
    US ARMY Veteran 1965-1967 Vietnam 1966-1967
    WELCOME HOME TO ALL WHO SERVED, AND FOR THOSE STILL SERVING,
    A BIG THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE. FOR THOSE OF YOU DOWN RANGE
    WATCH YOUR 6, AND KEEP YOUR HEAD DOWN.
    A PATRIOT BELIEVES IN IT....A VETERAN LIVED IT

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    The range that I frequent had one a while back, before I started going there. In order to rent a gun or use the range the first time you need to present your drivers license. One of the big reasons for renting guns is because you don't own one yourself. If you use their guns, you must by their ammo, which I think is fair. The first time you attend the range, you are required to watch a short rules and safety video and how you respond to this requirement tells them a lot about you.

Dang... makes me glad I live out in the County w/ property to shoot on.

Damn crazies!

We just had a double at "The Bullet Hole" indoor range, in Kansas City metro area (Overland Park, Ks.) this week 9/6/11. They are still investigating. Not sure if it was a murder/suicide or a double suicide. It involved both a male and female.

Very slow on details coming out.

Man and woman shot dead at Johnson County shooting range
    Police this morning found two people shot dead at an Overland Park shooting range. Officers were called to the Bullet Hole, 6201 Robinson Road, about 11:20 a.m. and found a man and a woman shot dead.

Read more: http://www.kansascity.com
    Woman, man found dead at shooting range met on the Net
    Bambi Hilburn, 38, of North Kansas City, and the boyfriend she’d met on the Internet just a few months back had never been to a shooting range. On Tuesday, they went to the Bullet Hole in Overland Park and now both are dead.

Police ID two found dead at OP shooting range
    Overland Park police today identified the two people found shot dead Tuesday at a shooting range. Bambi Hilburn, 38, of North Kansas City, was murdered, police said. She was found dead along with Victory Ocampo, 42, of Kansas City.

-Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    Keep your eyes peeled & your wits about you. If all else fails, I've got a 3 foot drop beyond the shooting line (indoor range) to slide over if someone doesn't want to take the trip (to hell) alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Wing View Post
    I have heard of it going down here in florida a few times sad .

I really wonder why someone would want to do that that in public place .
    Because it's a public place - probably to spite those who still wish to live, possibly to feel that those who are present will care.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

There were a few cases years ago before the internet where a guy walked into a gun store to look at a 12 gauge,clerk hands him the gun,guy pulls a shell outta his pocket and chambers it,clerk is saying hey you can't do that as the guy sticks the barrel under his chin and paints the ceiling

I personally know a guy that survived a suicide attempt with a shotgun,I have no idea how he can not only talk and eat normally,but he regrets the decision he made that day.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

ITW
    That's crazy.

Never really thought about that.

Suicide by gun range. Nutty azzed world we live in.

Not much you can or should do. My permit allows me to legally carry a gun, not put out every fire that catches on around me. Best to not get involved or it very well may be a murder/suicide and the murder part may not be you, it may be an innocent bystander that your intervention caused to be killed. If someone is really intent on killing themselves you aren't going to have a chance at stopping them, if on the other hand they are looking for attention...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links