Suicide what-if scenario at gun range

This is a discussion on Suicide what-if scenario at gun range within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I called a few local ranges and inquired about renting a gun. Everyone one of them insisted that in order to rent a gun, you ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Suicide what-if scenario at gun range

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

I called a few local ranges and inquired about renting a gun. Everyone one of them insisted that in order to rent a gun, you had to show them that you have one, either concealed carry or otherwise. You don't have to give it to them, just show them that you have one.

I discovered that the reason they do this is to prevent suicides, figuring that if you already have a gun, or access to one, you will not try and shoot yourself with one of their rented guns.

But let's say that there is a gun range that does not enforce this policy and you see someone acting strange and/or about to shoot himself. I realize that it could happen very quickly, but what do you do if you see something untoward happening?
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

There is a video on liveleaks where that happened. Mom son at an indoor range. Son was shooting, mom took a relolver to the back od his head then turned the gun on herself. Horrible. What can you do though? So sad.

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk

VIP Member
    IMHO you'll probably find yourself in a very dangerous situation.

If someone has gone to the trouble to go to a gun range and rent a gun to kill themselves this probably isn't a spur-of-the-moment decision for them. Intruding on them will probably get you killed with them killing themselves a second or so later.

Sad situation/bad predicament to be in.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Duck! Seek cover, if possible, and make sure they don't take you along!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

^^^^^^^^

What Hiram said.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    Duck! Seek cover, if possible, and make sure they don't take you along!
    This is about all you can do. You probably won't have time to do anything else.

Once they go to do the deed, it'll be over before you can do anything. From what I've seen, they don't mess around. They put the gun to their head and a second later "Bang."

I have yet to see one on video or read about one where they put the gun to their head and start walking up and down the aisle saying "Don't anyone move or I'll kill myself." They just do it. And then everyone present looks stunned like "What just happened?"
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

happened at a range in Michigan a few months ago. I fail to see how they restrict the renting of guns if the idea is someone may be interested in making a purchase.

Sadly if they are there to commit suicide you won't know it till there is a mess to clean up.

They lady who shot her son at the gun range I believe left a note saying she sent her son to heaven and herself to hell. Obviously she had alot on her mind. Unfortunately she didn't know how to handle it.
    Anticipation of Death is Worse Than Death Itself.
    Psalm 46:10 "Be still, and know that I am God;

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Quote Originally Posted by ConcealedG30 View Post
    Sadly if they are there to commit suicide you won't know it till there is a mess to clean up.

They lady who shot her son at the gun range I believe left a note saying she sent her son to heaven and herself to hell. Obviously she had alot on her mind. Unfortunately she didn't know how to handle it.
    Yeah, I read the same thing.

But, there isn't much you CAN do- if you have ears on, and are making your shots, you won't know the difference until you see them on the floor. If you DO notice it the only thing you can do is hope you have a good place to hide. Or maybe a clear backstop if you think you can disable without killing. If they're being hostile instead of self-destructive.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

We had two in a week at a range around here last year.

Second suicide in a week occurs at Badger Guns - JSOnline

I live in Michigan, and I've rented guns from a few gun stores. NOTHING but your driver's license is required. They don't even ask you if you know how to shoot. All they require is that you use THEIR ammo for THEIR guns. They scrutinize me more for buying a six pack of beer in a liquor store.

It doesnt matter if the individual owns a firearm or not, if they have made that decision to end it, then it will happen. Just remember if they get the urge to take a few people with them in the process then be sure you either a.)GTFO /b.)find cover/ or c.) put two in their heart before they destroy more lives then just their own
    U/315
    KY Concealed Carry Instructor
    Taser X2/X26 Instructor
    "It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to…[he] is entitled to stand his ground, and meet any (life-threatening) attack made upon him with a deadly weapon…." Gibson v. KY, 34SW936(Ky.1931)

Administrator
    I've actually seen this with my own eyes while working at a range; Guy comes in and rents a 686, buys a box of 38's and a box of 357. Goes out, shoots up the box of 38 like normal, loads up with 357, turns around knocks on the partition glass to get everyones attention, puts the gun to his head and whammo, made spaghetti. There was nothing anyone could do even if they wanted to. The guy acted completely normal up to that point.
    "Just blame Sixto"

At a local range I used to go to, until they closed, they had three suicides in three weeks. The range closed for other reasons. At another local range, they had two back to back suicides in one week. Someone decides to take their own life and it makes all the papers and local TV coverage. Another depressed person gets the idea and copy cats. Not much can be done. And as already stated, if they have already made that decision, trying to intervene may buy you a trip to the other side.

There are no requirements here that you are a gun owner. As a matter of fact, it is assumed that you are renting a gun because you do not own one. It is up to the range master to determine if the renter is legitimate or acting weird enough to give him second thoughts about renting a gun. In my opinion, in this economy, range owners are just happy to get the business and give little thought about someone blowing their own brains out. And the truth of the matter is that it becomes a minor inconvenience if someone does so. The police come take statements. The cleanup squad takes care of the mess and the body is transported away. The range is closed for a few hours and then life goes on.
    45Gunner
    NRA Certified Instructor
    Gold Seal CFI
    1st Air Cav Vietnam Veteran

I saw that video and since then I've been very nervous to go to the range. As stated you don't see or hear anything unusual til the body hits the ground.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links