My first gun show tomorrow / question??

My first gun show tomorrow / question??

This is a discussion on My first gun show tomorrow / question?? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; At a gun show can I bring my firearm and trade it for another firearm there? If so I hear there is no paperwork to ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ConcealedG30

Thread: My first gun show tomorrow / question??

Talking My first gun show tomorrow / question??

At a gun show can I bring my firearm and trade it for another firearm there? If so I hear there is no paperwork to be done if it's a person to person trade / sale. Inform me on how this works and what to expect to see tomorrow. Is there a way for me to make sure the firearm I'm buying/trading is legal?
    I have yet to be attacked by a block of ballistic gelatin but.........

The least I would do is get a bill of sale.

The last gun show I went to here in KS they busted a few folks selling stolen guns. I don't know for sure if they were dealers or not but I would cover my backside. Every state has different laws KS are pretty relaxed. Check your states and have a good time. Don't forget to bring a few new items home.
    Secret Spuk likes this.
    Anticipation of Death is Worse Than Death Itself.
    Psalm 46:10 "Be still, and know that I am God;

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    SC law requires nothing more than Bill of Sale between private parties. But, with a 'business', they have to do all the fun paperwork...
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

I will certainly try to bring a new firearm/blade home. I want to take my S&W model 22 revolver and see what I can get as a trade for a semi auto colt defender/new agent or similar type compact 1911 style pistol. I currently use my revolver as my home defense weapon but have been thinking on the fact that all I have are 6 shots. Just wanted to know how to go about bringing my gun to the show since it's my first time::

You REALLY need to know and understand your state laws before you go trading or selling a handgun. Instead of looking for general info you need go to a Florida gov site and make sure they have no additional requirements for transfers between private individuals. You will most likely need to verify age and maybe other info as well.

Do the official research.

Ignorance of the law is no excuse and neither is "They said on the internet..."

I read in the 7th edition of Florida laws & ownership that no documentation is necessary in private sales just wanted to clarify how it worked if differently at a show that's all

Make sure you do not have your weapon loaded. I have worked for a private vendor at both Kenny Woods and RK shows and they require all firearms brought in to be checked and have a plastic tie put in the action.

When trading, know what the minimum you will take in cash value before bartering. Be prepared to walk away. Take your time.

Pay attention to customers carrying around firearms they wish to sell or trade. Many times you can work a deal with them.
    Remember, there is no bad trade, as long as both parties are happy with the results.

Some guns are in high demand, sell well, or are sought after by collectors. Don't expect anything if trading a Taurus or Rossi for a Smith or Colt. If you pursue that type of trade, load up your wallet before you get there.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Justnoticed you are taking a Smith 22. Regardless of model, that will bring a good price, or have a good trade weight.
    You may find someone willing to pay cash( some are quite collectable) at the show and then take the cash to the bargaining table. Cash always talks better.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Suggestion to OP:

What I do in Arizona at gun shows, anyone who engages me into a private sale for one of my firearms, must have:

1). A valid Arizona Drivers License. (Proves to me that person is an Arizona citizen)

2). A valid Arizona CCW permit. (Proves to me that person has had a background check and has been fingerprinted in Arizona).

3). I jot down the above persons DL and CCW numbers.

Vendors who I deal with give me a sales slip with gun ##, date and signature.

The above is only a suggestion, but please understand some undesirable people who CAN NOT pass a gun purchase back ground check will troll gun shows hoping to buy a gun.

And....yes, I have turned down a few gun sales because the individual didn't not have a valid AZCCW permit.

Quote Originally Posted by defensive007 View Post
    I read in the 7th edition of Florida laws & ownership that no documentation is necessary in private sales just wanted to clarify how it worked if differently at a show that's all
    OK so going to a Florida gun show? It seem's that your interested in getting a firearm with no paper trail? That can be dangerous. Recently people were arrested at a show selling gun's stolen in another state. A burglary ring was stealing guns in Georgia, and getting rid of them in private sales in Florida. Going through an FFL gives you the protection of a legitimate transaction, and a paper trail proving you had nothing to do with any theft. My C-WAG would be that there are more than a few stolen guns being offered for sale at Florida gun shows.

Many of the table dealers are liquidating private collections, or looking for better specimin's for their collections, and selling lesser specimin's. Many of them offer private sales as well. You will often find local gun stores that have set up at gun shows offering gun show specials on some guns. Then there are the table guys who privately sell guns as if they were a dealer. In any private sale you are taking some chance. It's best that you document the sale. Both you and the seller MUST!!! be residents of Florida. I would get a reciept that include the drivers lic. # of the seller and the buyer. Selling to a non Florida resident is a federal crime. Many private sellers are responsible enough to aditionally demand the buyer also have a Florida concieled carry permit.

Florida Gun shows can be a lot of fun, informative, even a decent deal once in a while... But IMO you will never get what your gun is probably worth. LOL Your gonna hear all manner of excuse as to why your gun has little vaue. For example "Awwww it's a 22, 22's arent good for anything, I'll never be able to re-sell it"... or " A revolver?... no one use revolvers anymore... I cant re-sell it" or " Look it's all scratched up... and the blueing is worn off here, and here" You may be better off going to a reputable gun shop that will sell it on consignment. Or as a trade on what you really want.

Good luck... let us know how you made out

Spuk!

VIP Member
    Rule #1: Know and follow the laws of Florida.

With that out of the way, research and know what your gun is worth. Your going to get a better price for your gun if you sell it outright. A dealer is not going to give you what it is worth. Remember, he has to be able to sell it and make a profit on it too.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

FIREARM BILL OF SALE
    Buyer certifies that they are not restricted or forbidden by law to own a firearm and buyer states that he/she:
    • Has NEVER been convicted in any court of a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding 1 year.
    • Is NOT a fugitive from justice.
    • Is NOT an unlawful user of or addicted to any controlled substance.
    • Has NEVER been adjudicated as a mental defective or has been committed to a mental institution.
    • Is NOT an alien illegally or unlawfully in the United states or an alien admitted to the United states under a nonimmigrant visa.
    • Has NOT been discharged from the Armed Forces under dishonorable conditions.
    • Having been a citizen of the United states, has NEVER renounced his or her citizenship.
    • Is NOT subject to a court order that restrains the person from harassing, stalking, or threatening an intimate partner or child of such intimate partner.
    • Has NOT been convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence
    • CAN lawfully receive, possess, ship, or transport a firearm.
    • Is NOT a person who is under indictment or information for a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding 1 year.
    I truthfully state that I AM NOT a person who cannot legally buy, receive, and posses firearms and/or ammunition.
    Full Name _________________________________________ Signature _______________________________________
    Firearm(s) sold
    Make: __________________ Model:_____________ Caliber: ____________ S/N: _______________ Cost: ___________
    Make: __________________ Model:_____________ Caliber: ____________ S/N: _______________ Cost: ___________
    Buyer Seller
    (NAME) (NAME)
    (ADDRESS) (ADDRESS)
    (DL) (DL)
    (CWL) (CWL)
    (Contact #) (Contact #)
    I understand the firearm is sold AS-IS and no warranty has been implied or given. Firearm should be inspected by a
    competent gunsmith prior to using. Seller not responsible for any damages incurred or caused by the use of this firearm.
    Sale Conditions: __________________________________________________ ___________________________________
    Buyer Signature:_________________________________ Seller Signature:_____________________________________
    Sale Date
    45Gunner
    NRA Certified Instructor
    Gold Seal CFI
    1st Air Cav Vietnam Veteran

Links