New Sig P229

New Sig P229

This is a discussion on New Sig P229 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; What do y'all think about what they have done to the P229? They have basically taken the P229 e2 and made it the standard P229. ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By 21bubba
  • 1 Post By 357and40
  • 1 Post By 21bubba

Thread: New Sig P229

New Sig P229

What do y'all think about what they have done to the P229? They have basically taken the P229 e2 and made it the standard P229. I don't like it, all though the slide does look more like the P226 and the P228 which looks good, but I don't care for the extractor.

http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/p229.aspx
    "The belief in a supernatural source of evil is not necessary.
    Men alone are quite capable of every wickedness."

-Joseph Conrad-

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Joey View Post
    What do y'all think about what they have done to the P229? They have basically taken the P229 e2 and made it the standard P229. I don't like it, all though the slide does look more like the P226 and the P228 which looks good, but I don't care for the extractor.

P229
    Don't buy one.

Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    Don't buy one.
    I'm not planing on buying one, just an observation I was making.

I was interested to see what everyone on here who like Sig firearms thought about the change.

-Joseph Conrad-

Is your problem just with the aesthetics? I agree it's not very elegant.

Why did they put the big one on it? Was it just to eliminate multiple machining processes within a particular model group to lower manufacturing costs?

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysSweet View Post

Why did they put the big one on it? Was it just to eliminate multiple machining processes within a particular model group to lower manufacturing costs?
    Nothing like the elegance of a glock, or perhaps a steampunk gun...

Nothing like the elegance of a glock, or perhaps a steampunk gun...
    Simplicity is always elegant. But so is arcane complexity.

I just prefer the classic look. I didn't mind it when the added the rail and squared the trigger guard, but the new grips and slide I'm just not all that crazy about it.

-Joseph Conrad-

I think they had to - the market has taken a legitimate focus to ergonomics in the past few years. Take a look at all the pistols with interchangeable grip parts as a standard feature now: M&P, PPS, P30, etc. Heck, even Glock, long the pinnacle of blocky ergos, has gone to multiple backstraps with the Gen 4 design. It's just the way things are now. I have a "new standard" P229 with the E2 grips, and I much prefer it to my brother's gov't-issued P229 from the pre-E2 design.

Simplicity is always elegant. But so is arcane complexity.
    So let me get this straight. glock is elegant, Sig is not? I need some of what you have.
    357and40 likes this.

I like my early generation Sig 229 with no rail....

Not fond of the feel or look of the new grips and not fond of the rail...
    SIGguy229 likes this.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

So let me get this straight. glock is elegant, Sig is not? I need some of what you have.
    You misunderstand. I wasn't talking about SIGs. I was agreeing with OP, as I do not care for the XBOXHEUG extractor. I think it breaks up the flow of the slide aesthetic.

You misunderstand. I wasn't talking about SIGs. I was agreeing with OP, as I do not care for the XBOXHEUG extractor. I think it breaks up the flow of the slide aesthetic.
    Sorry, I didn't realize that the aesthetics of a handgun were important. I look at gun as a tool and a Sig P229 as the finest one in the box.
    rstickle likes this.

Sorry, I didn't realize that the aesthetics of a handgun were important. I look at gun as a tool and a Sig P229 as the finest one in the box.
    The aesthetics were OP's concern too. Of course they're important. There are plenty of guns that function just as well as a SIG for half the price. Lots of people choose SIG because they enjoy the style and ergonomics among other reasons unrelated to its inherent function as a tool.
    No reason for the attitude.
    Last edited by AlwaysSweet; September 4th, 2011 at 01:05 AM. Reason: silly phone

Considering the last few posts, I will interject with:

My 229 was the first gun I bought for myself after shooting a friend's department issued P226. It just plain felt wonderful, was delightful to shoot & reset itself on target effortlessly. I love the weapon, but at 1.5" thick and as long & tall as it is with a 12+1 rd capacity (14+1 with extended mag), the 229 can be difficult to conceal. I absolutely love the 229, but the M&P40c is the semi-auto I carry daily.

Aesthetics ARE important. If you can shoot it well but it is awkward and you think it is ugly (and not in a good way <you know, like a dog that is so ugly it is cute>) do you really want it? There are some weapons (thank you JMB) that are just works of art. There are others that are not... Some feel right & some just do not (hence my main complaints on Glocks).

It has to be a total package thing with me. If there are aspects I do not like of a weapon I will not hold onto it. I think a lot of other people can identify with that.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

The aesthetics were OP's concern too. Of course they're important. There are plenty of guns that function just as well as a SIG for half the price. Lots of people choose SIG because they enjoy the style and ergonomics among other reasons unrelated to its inherent function as a tool.
    No reason for the attitude.
    No attitude here just I've just never looked at pistols as anything other than tools. Reliability and ergonomics are all that matter to me.
    A glock just doesn't fit me so I don't own one. Is it a good pistol? Sure if you can get past the fit,trigger,and the attitude of "perfection".

Sponsored Links