Sig p238 cocked and locked question??

This is a discussion on Sig p238 cocked and locked question?? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I carry my p238 not cocked and locked what I do is rack one in the chamber , load the magazine to full capacity then ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By buckeye .45

Thread: Sig p238 cocked and locked question??

I carry my p238 not cocked and locked what I do is rack one in the chamber , load the magazine to full capacity then drop the hammer keeping it on fire not safety, if EVER I need to use it it's just as easy to cock the hammer manually then drop the safety without the fear of accidental fireing of "cocked and locked" ....
    I have yet to be attacked by a block of ballistic gelatin but.........

Well, manually lowering the hammer on a round is not something I would suggest doing. If your thumb slips, it better be pointed in a safe direction.

You 238 is designed to be carried c&l, which is actually safer than how you are doing it right now. And it is easy to disengage the thumb safety with one hand, during your draw, while maintaining a firing grip on your weapon (your thumb should naturally be resting right in the safety area). Can you say the same about cocking the hammer during your draw? Because I bet that it compromises your firing grip.

But, it is your gun, you can carry it however you want, but I would never manually drop the hammer on a round in a handgun designer to be carried c&l.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member
    As Buckeye said, I don't recommend de-cocking the pistol over a loaded chamber. The gun is not designed for it. You stand a much higher chance of a ND doing that over carrying it cocked and locked.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

or i would say another way to avoid having it cocked and locked is to just insert the magazine but do not rack it until needed. I know many of you may disagree with this as if needed urgently you may not have the time to really rack the slide but in reality unless your arms are tied together or you are at gunpoint its just as easy and fast to rack the slide really fast and shoot. I have read too many instances where people have carried cocked and locked and they accidentally discharge (not saying it happens much but just one case for me is enough) i will practice safety this way.
    I have yet to be attacked by a block of ballistic gelatin but.........

Quote Originally Posted by defensive007 View Post
    or i would say another way to avoid having it cocked and locked is to just insert the magazine but do not rack it until needed. I know many of you may disagree with this as if needed urgently you may not have the time to really rack the slide but in reality unless your arms are tied together or you are at gunpoint its just as easy and fast to rack the slide really fast and shoot. I have read too many instances where people have carried cocked and locked and they accidentally discharge (not saying it happens much but just one case for me is enough) i will practice safety this way.
    What if the other guy is at bad breath distance, and you need your off hand to fight him off physically while you draw?

What if you have been tackled, and have a BG on top of you?

ND's with c&l are negligent, that means operator error, not accidental, which would be a mechanical malfunction. It is perfectly safe to carry your weapon as designed, otherwise, Sig wouldn't produce it.

It seems like you are uncomfortable with the firearm you bought, perhaps you should take a serious training class with it?
    OD* likes this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by defensive007 View Post
    I find it interesting that you would purchase a single action, semi-automatic pistol if you are afraid to carry it in the condition for which it was designed to carry.

Can you post just one of those instances you've read about where people accidentally discharged their cocked and locked weapon? I'd like to read about it so I can try and figure out exactly how it happened. Chances are, it was simply poor gun handling skills.

If you possess poor gun handling skills, then I can assure you a single action, semi-automatic pistol is not the gun you should be carrying.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

JD
    Administrator
    Be advised that if the safety somehow becomes engaged with the hammer forward, you can not cock it, can not cycle the slide.

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    I find it interesting that you would purchase a single action, semi-automatic pistol if you are afraid to carry it in the condition for which it was designed to carry.

Can you post just one of those instances you've read about where people accidentally discharged their cocked and locked weapon? I'd like to read about it so I can try and figure out exactly how it happened. Chances are, it was simply poor gun handling skills.

If you possess poor gun handling skills, then I can assure you a single action, semi-automatic pistol is not the gun you should be carrying.
    Those are my thoughts aswell.

I carry my P238 Cocked & Locked to me there is no other way. Good holster & practice there should be no accidents maye just some carlessness.
    Anticipation of Death is Worse Than Death Itself.
    Psalm 46:10 "Be still, and know that I am God;

VIP Member

LOL yeah ok...........I hope you get a considerate assailant, one whom will allow this option and stay far enough away while you rack the slide and engage him.

My ex wife carried a cocked and locked 238. If you are worried about it do as she did lock and load, safety on, put in holster, put on holster as a unit and leave it alone until needed or switch to a different firearm but it is your life not mine so carry as you please.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Links