Help with malfunction

This is a discussion on Help with malfunction within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Despite all of my praise of my Taurus TCP 738 being so reliable, it has now developed some kind of problem. At the range yesterday ...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 4 Post By buckeye .45
  • 2 Post By OldVet

Thread: Help with malfunction

Help with malfunction

Despite all of my praise of my Taurus TCP 738 being so reliable, it has now developed some kind of problem. At the range yesterday it continued to malfunction. There were two different issues and I think the first may some how be causing the problem it has now. Let me explain:

The first malfunction it had was a failure to eject, which naturally caused a failure to feed since there was still an empty shell in the chamber. This was quite a problem because I couldn't eject the magazine or barely move the slide. It took several minutes to clear this. Had this happened in a real shoot out, my gun would have become a rock.

After clearing this problem, the gun continued to malfunction every 2 to 3 shots with a different problem. After firing a round, the slide will stay open as if the magazine is empty, even though it is not empty. In this case, all I need to do is press the slide-release lever and the gun will feed a round as normal and fire and all is well. So it is not jammed or anything, its just as if the gun thinks it is empty even though it is not.

Any ideas where I should be looking to locate the source of this malfunction? Clearly I cannot carry this weapon with me again until this problem has been remedied.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    For starts, did you try another mag?
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

The malfunction is that you are relying on a Taurus as your SD weapon, the solution to that is easy.

But, it sounds to me like you are having an extractor issue (#1).

Your second malfunction is a jam as well. Either you are pushing up on the slide stop somehow (thumb?) with the recoil, or something internally is bumping the slide stop, which could be a magazine issue.
    JD, Inspector71, Doodle and 1 others like this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    The malfunction is that you are relying on a Taurus as your SD weapon, the solution to that is easy.

But, it sounds to me like you are having an extractor issue (#1).

Your second malfunction is a jam as well. Either you are pushing up on the slide stop somehow (thumb?) with the recoil, or something internally is bumping the slide stop, which could be a magazine issue.
    Not familiar with the TCP but being a .380 wouldn't it be a straight blow-back design and not have an extractor?
    Just out of curiosity were you using a different, new kind of ammo?

Quote Originally Posted by ZappBranigan View Post
    Not familiar with the TCP but being a .380 wouldn't it be a straight blow-back design and not have an extractor?
    The TCP does have an extractor, look down at the diagram and parts list: http://www.taurususa.com/pdf/manual_738_tcp.pdf
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    This is not my primary SD weapon. I only use this one when I need something small, so about twice a month. So it isn't a huge inconvenience for me to give it up at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by rstickle
    For starts, did you try another mag?
    I certainly would have, but I only brought one with me because I left the other mag at home with my SD rounds in it. I'm about to disassemble the gun and clean it, then I'm going to cycle a bunch of snap caps through it and see what it does with both mags.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Steps for troubleshooting for the common man:
    1. Give the gun a thorough cleaning and try again--mag(s) included.
    2. Try a different mag. If one is on hand, make this step number 1.
    3. If the pistol has a lot of rounds through it, replace the recoil spring, mag spring, etc. (usually fairly inexpensive).
    4. Have it looked at by a pro.
    SIGguy229 and Tzadik like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Well, just an update. I took it apart and cleaned it. Couldn't find anything particularly wrong with it. I loaded up both mags with snap caps and cycled then through several times and never could reproduce the problem. Also - I didn't even think of it until somebody mentioned it, this was new ammo that I had not used before. I can't see how it would cause the second problem, but I can certainly see how it could cause the first problem.

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    Well, just an update. I took it apart and cleaned it. Couldn't find anything particularly wrong with it. I loaded up both mags with snap caps and cycled then through several times and never could reproduce the problem. Also - I didn't even think of it until somebody mentioned it, this was new ammo that I had not used before. I can't see how it would cause the second problem, but I can certainly see how it could cause the first problem.
    It almost seems like somehow an isolated FTE maybe cause a mag malfunction. If the slide is locking back as if it is empty the mag is the only thing I can think of.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    Despite all of my praise of my Taurus TCP 738 being so reliable, it has now developed some kind of problem. At the range yesterday it continued to malfunction. There were two different issues and I think the first may some how be causing the problem it has now. Let me explain:

The first malfunction it had was a failure to eject, which naturally caused a failure to feed since there was still an empty shell in the chamber. This was quite a problem because I couldn't eject the magazine or barely move the slide. It took several minutes to clear this. Had this happened in a real shoot out, my gun would have become a rock.

After clearing this problem, the gun continued to malfunction every 2 to 3 shots with a different problem. After firing a round, the slide will stay open as if the magazine is empty, even though it is not empty. In this case, all I need to do is press the slide-release lever and the gun will feed a round as normal and fire and all is well. So it is not jammed or anything, its just as if the gun thinks it is empty even though it is not.

Any ideas where I should be looking to locate the source of this malfunction? Clearly I cannot carry this weapon with me again until this problem has been remedied.
    Sorry for your issues. This is all too common with Bull owners. Let us know how it goes when you send her back to Taurus.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by ZappBranigan View Post
    1: Not all .380s are blowback only, IE: Colt Mustang, Ruger LCP, P3AT etc.
    2: Even blow back guns have extractors, PPK, Bersa .380, Sig 232, Makarov etc.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    Sorry for your issues. This is all too common with Bull owners. Let us know how it goes when you send her back to Taurus.
    This is all too common of a response from you whenever a Taurus is involved.

Links