Proper nomenclature

This is a discussion on Proper nomenclature within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by MotorCityGun ... BTW, oakchas, I do know the difference between a clip and mag. Yes, most of us do... but the fact ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Proper nomenclature

Quote Originally Posted by MotorCityGun View Post

BTW, oakchas, I do know the difference between a clip and mag.
    Yes, most of us do... but the fact is, that dictionaries take common usage into account... mag and clip are nearly interchangeable... And the dictionary quoted cites magazines as being used in automatic weapons only... not semi autos...

For decades, all private planes with a single engine (that crashed... the only ones that make the news) were Piper Cubs in the press.

People associate Piper Cub with single engine high wing plane... they associate clip with the device used to hold more than a gazillion rounds added to an automatic weapon to kill and maim hundreds of innocent people every day.

It ain't right... but it is what it is... accepted vernacular.

If you give the press too much to think about, they'll never get the story out. and if it bleeds it leads... Dirty Laundry by Don Henley comes to mind...
    It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    I would suggest that the media tends to use colloquial terms rather than proper nomenclature, not only due to a lack of knowledge, but to communicate to the general public at a level that they can understand.
    I would say that this explaination isn't too far from the truth, if not right on.

At a hospital that I worked for recently, I had the occasion to assist one of the education nurses in dumbing-down a patient information document. The system's standard (which I belive was based on a government standard) required that the document be readable at a 5th grade level (MS Word has a measurement tool for this) - never mind that most dictionary-grade medical terminology doesn't measure lower than an 11th grade level!
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    I think when the media is involved we better stick with "stun gun", if you give them any leverage they will describe it as a fully automatic assault electrocution gun that turns babies and innocent livestock into smoking briquettes.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links