Hundreds Of Guns Surrendered In Gun Buyback Program(Michigan)

This is a discussion on Hundreds Of Guns Surrendered In Gun Buyback Program(Michigan) within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; From clickondetroit.com Nearly 700 guns were surrendered as part of a five-day program that allowed residents to give firearms to police with no questions asked. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hundreds Of Guns Surrendered In Gun Buyback Program(Michigan)

Hundreds Of Guns Surrendered In Gun Buyback Program(Michigan)

From clickondetroit.com

Nearly 700 guns were surrendered as part of a five-day program that allowed residents to give firearms to police with no questions asked.

A total of 683 guns were turned in, including some AK-47 rifles and sawed-off shotguns, Police Chief Ella Bully-Cummings said Monday in a news release.

The buyback program, which ended Saturday, enticed residents to turn in unwanted guns by offering $50 to $200 per firearm from a pot of $10,000. That money was exhausted Thursday because of the overwhelming response, but hundreds of people continued to turn in weapons without receiving compensation, police said.

Police said many of the guns they received had been collecting dust, and their owners worried about having them around their children and grandchildren.

All the weapons will be melted down after they are analyzed, police said.
    Eric

There were NO Guns used to take over the flights on 9-11, IT STILL HAPPENED

Wake up Americans - GUN CONTROL - Means WE LOOSE

2. Remove Ads

Most of these feel-good programs are "No questions asked", so what are the police "analyzing"? Want to bet there was a camera somewhere taking pictures of those handing in guns? All I can say is, what a joke and a waste of money.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

OMG...where do I start?....maybe I should save $10K...go to Detroit...setup a table and offer to buy guns (i.e. turn-in program). Have the serials run through the PD...and be good to go!!

Can you imagine some of the antiques that are going to be melted down? We're destroying our American heritage....

VIP Member

"I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

Quite honestly it really does piss me off, but what am I going to do? I mean, some of those not doubt are collectors, and some have probably been used in some sort of crime and are not registered.....but I just dont believe in destroying weapons. I wish there was some way that we could recover them, but its those people that wont let that happen, because everyone knows that guns kill people and guns are bad for the public!! NOT!

anyways......next!
    Eric

dont get me started

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    Think I can get the cats my neighborhood to turn in their claws?

Dogs, their teeth?

Maybe I can get the rabbits around here to cut their own hamstrings, too......

The possibilities are endless.......

Senior Member Array hsuCowboy98's Avatar
    dont get me started

Me either... I could rant all day about stupid stuff like that.
    Fear No Evil.

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    Makes me wonder if someone who committed a murder with a gun might sell it in a buyback - have it melted down - leaving no way to find the murder weapon or do any ballistic checks or anything...

Not only getting rid of the evidence but getting paid for it at the same time.
    For God, Family and Country!

Assistant Administrator
    Like Bud - do not get me started <sigh>

To quote TA -

Bet lots of Bad Guys handed in stuff - NOT!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I talked to one of the Oregon Cease Fire people when they did a gun "buy back" here in Eugene.

I asked her, "You say this is a no questions asked right? What if some of the guns were used in a crime?"

Her basic response was that they would never be used in a crime again.

I then asked, "But if there are no questions asked, aren't you allowing a criminal, maybe a murderer, get away with it?"

Her response was that she didn't care, the gun would be off the street and no other crimes would be committed with it.

I then asked, "But if they get away with it, what makes you think that they won't steal another one and use it and just hide it until the next buy back?"

Her response was that when they made it law that all guns are banned, then they wouldn't have to worry about crime anymore. This was just a start.

They don't care about the "children", or crime, or crime victims, all they care about is that to them, it's all the guns fault, and if they destroy them one at a time then all will be hunky dory.

These people truly live in a fantasy world of which they will never leave.

Somewhere in MI, there are numerous murderers/criminals sleeping better at night because no questions were asked.

Lead Moderator
    Seems like a nice nazi program in action.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Assistant Administrator
    Her response was that when they made it law that all guns are banned, then they wouldn't have to worry about crime anymore. This was just a start.
    That for sure - is nievity at its very best
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Un freaken believeable!!!!

I just hate these people that honestly believe that if we took every gun off the street that there would be no crime! These people really need to wake up and smell the coffey. You will never ever take every gun off the streets, and you will never ever take drugs off the street. All we can do is somewhat contain it, and even then we dont do a ver good job at that. Taking guns away from people that buy them legally and carry them legally does nothing except but their lives in more danger. But I'll stay off that soap box!

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne
    I talked to one of the Oregon Cease Fire people when they did a gun "buy back" here in Eugene.

I asked her, "You say this is a no questions asked right? What if some of the guns were used in a crime?"

Her basic response was that they would never be used in a crime again.

I then asked, "But if there are no questions asked, aren't you allowing a criminal, maybe a murderer, get away with it?"

Her response was that she didn't care, the gun would be off the street and no other crimes would be committed with it.

I then asked, "But if they get away with it, what makes you think that they won't steal another one and use it and just hide it until the next buy back?"

They don't care about the "children", or crime, or crime victims, all they care about is that to them, it's all the guns fault, and if they destroy them one at a time then all will be hunky dory.

These people truly live in a fantasy world of which they will never leave.

Somewhere in MI, there are numerous murderers/criminals sleeping better at night because no questions were asked.
    Eric

SOOOO what if you were to set up a table on the street and interecept the people turning in their guns and offer to buy them first? After all it is a public street let them have the junk and save the good ones for your collection.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links