Almost had a bad day at the range with my Gen 4 Glock 19

This is a discussion on Almost had a bad day at the range with my Gen 4 Glock 19 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I went to the range this morning to shoot my new Glock 19 gen4. I first shot 50 rounds of Federal American Eagle 124gr without ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Guantes

Thread: Almost had a bad day at the range with my Gen 4 Glock 19

Almost had a bad day at the range with my Gen 4 Glock 19

I went to the range this morning to shoot my new Glock 19 gen4. I first shot 50 rounds of Federal American Eagle 124gr without a hitch as well as some Speer gold dots in 124gr +P and 147gr. Then I got to the 115 gr Winchester White box in the 100 round packs that can be bought at walmart. I started to go through the first box without an issue. As I was getting ready to shoot the last few rounds from that box I found this....

IMG00195-20110910-1118.jpgIMG00196-20110910-1118.jpgIMG00198-20110910-1120.jpgIMG00199-20110910-1120.jpg

Luckily I noticed that there was a problem with the round before I loaded it into the magazine. Just to be safe I decided not to shoot the remaining ammo in that box and moved on to the next box.

While shooting the second box of 115 gr WWB I experienced 2 FTEs. The first one was certainly user error as I decided to shoot my glock left handed which is off hand for me, and I was noticing a substantial difference between the grip of my off hand and strong hand, so I was obviously limp wristing. The second FTE was a bit of a mystery, as it occured at the end of my shooting session I'm not sure if that one was operator error or if it was caused by the gun. My had was starting to get tired so it may have been but I cannot be 100% certain what caused it.

2. Remove Ads

Let us know what kind of response you get from Winchester.

VIP Member
    Thanks for the reminder. I'm bad about not checking every round at the range, and I shoot mostly WWB.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    i dont trust the WWB or wolf steel.

i reload and get that occassionally. less than 1 per 1000. excluding 32-20, 9mm is the most commen.
    if i bother to take it apart, when the brass mouth is measured it is on the thin side of bearly acceptable.

i may be talking with someone but my eyes are focused on what my hands are doing.
    between feeling the rounds and looking at them--murphy is best kept at bay.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    I put many 1000's of WWB rounds through the G26 and the XD9,never missed a beat. One of the few things I was taught as a kid,and maybe it helps,I hold on to any gun I shoot.I mean I grip it like I want to crush it.Some people say a loose grip can cause problems.
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

Your gun is like your mouth. It is prudent to pay attention to what you put in it.
    Rock and Glock and afojc like this.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

VIP Member
    Judging from the pictures of the bullets, I don't think you would have a safety issue with the gun. What you would have had would have been FTF problems as the cases hung up going into the chamber.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Admittedly, I don't practice a lot anymore so I can justify the cost of top shelf ammo of which I cheery pick and inspect.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

For the outrageous prices they charge, there's no excuse for poor Q.C. How are we supposed to trust 'em?

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    I ran in to one just like that, on my last class trip.

I do a quick visual as I'm loading (I'm either topping-off with my UpLula or feeding by hand, if I'm downloading for specific drills), and caught one just like that.

I've shot perhaps 15,000 rounds of WWB 9x19 in the last 9 months. This was my first obviously defective.

My FTFire rate on WWB is somewhere *well* south of 1%. Realistically, it's somewhere probably between 0.3 to 0.5%, but I cannot really make a good documentation, as a part of my training over the last 4 months involved extensive induced malfunction drills. FTFeed is virtually nil.

I would expect all of my premium SD/HD ammo to be without any kind of blemishes, and always feed and fire perfectly. So far, from what I've experienced (of virtually every recommended cartridge of Dr. Roberts's list, but predominately Speer and Federal's premium rounds) have fulfilled that expectation.

Range fodder is range fodder.

Looks like several rounds slipped by Winchester's QC. I would hope they would apologize and send you several boxes with their compliments.

I've always looked at it as I AM the final QC before my daughter or wife pull the trigger.
    GCO Member
    NRA Member
    NRA RSO & Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

Good reminder to be mindful of what you are doing.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Links