Stoeger Cougar 8000 sights

This is a discussion on Stoeger Cougar 8000 sights within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a stoeger cougar 8000 that I think the sights are messed up on. I have shot other handguns and am generally a pretty ...

Thread: Stoeger Cougar 8000 sights

Stoeger Cougar 8000 sights

I have a stoeger cougar 8000 that I think the sights are messed up on. I have shot other handguns and am generally a pretty good shot with those. However when I shoot my cougar I can't seem to get a decent group. I have looked up how to hold a handgun, shooting techniques and it just doesn't seem like I can get a good shot group. Now I can hit a silhouette target everytime at about 20 yards but my groups are a lot bigger than I like. I see videos on youtube where people are hitting steel plates at the same distances every single time. I think it might have something to do with my sights, so I ordered a new set of trijicon tritium sights to replace my factory sights. I'm hoping that this will fix it, but I am also looking at suggestions from anyone who has experience. I have been shooting for quite a while mostly rifle, but I do shoot pistols once in a while. I do know about sight picture and breathing control, trigger control but I am willing to take advice on what ever you think it could be.

My next question is when I install the new sights I know the rear sight is for adjusting shots left to right, but how do I align the front sight so that it center to the bore of my handgun? Is there a special way of doing this or is it just drift it in and get is as close as you can? I do know I could take it to a gunsmith, but I like to try things myself.

Thanks in advance

2. Remove Ads

I had a difficult time for awhile with my Beretta Cougar .... shooting low and left. It was the grip size vs hand, and manner in which I had to pull the trigger. Eventually, I figured out a way or just go used to it, but have no issues now. I would have sworn I was right on target, but... it was me and the way I was pulling the trigger due to the way I had to hold it.

How I realized that , I had 2 other friends shoot it, and they had no issue hitting bullseyes every time... so I knew it was me.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

If it's hitting where you're aiming but the grouping is large that sounds like it's the shooter and not the sights. Have you tried shooting while resting the pistol on a stable platform/mount to see if it is consistently hitting off of point of aim? Still have those target? Post up what the grouping is looking like...ie:

. .................................................. ............................o
    . .................................................. .........................o o o
    .................................................. .......................o o o
    .................................................. ......................... o X
    Remember, remember the eleventh of September
    The hijacker's murderous plot
    They heard our cry as planes fell from the sky
    Let 9/11 never be forgot

This forum doesn't like a lot of spaces so that isn't a good representation of what I was trying to do :D
    Remember, remember the eleventh of September
    The hijacker's murderous plot
    They heard our cry as planes fell from the sky
    Let 9/11 never be forgot

I wish it was shooting low and to the left lol that way I would know what to correct. Its just a bigger group and I have tried shooting from a rest doesn't seem like it makes a difference. Could it just be how I'm holding it maybe change how I'm gripping it? When I watch youtube videos of guys shooting it seems like the slide always goes straight back and forward very little movement. When I shoot it, it seems like it jumps around a little bit.

Links