Firearms and CC Pet Peeves

This is a discussion on Firearms and CC Pet Peeves within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So I am going to the range. Since I don't have tons of extra magazines, I unload my defensive ammo to make room for the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Firearms and CC Pet Peeves

Distinguished Member

So I am going to the range. Since I don't have tons of extra magazines, I unload my defensive ammo to make room for the range stuff.

Now I have these loose bullets, they sometimes end up in a pile on the dresser or in a snack ziplock. Why can't I just keep the boxes and always box up in the original box.

Now when I get home I have Speer short barrel Gold Dot 40 mixed with Speer regular Gold Dot 40 and they are rolling everywhere. As far as I can see they look the same. Oh, except the Buffalo Bore sprinkled in like chips on a cookie.

Grrr. So my pet peeve is I NEED AN AMMO ORGANIZATION SYSTEM.

What are your pet peeves instigated by yourselves or others?

You could keep the loose rounds in one of your unused cake pans...

Sorry, couldn't resist!
    ExactlyMyPoint likes this.

Distinguished Member
    Seriously, I do have a six cupcake pan. It was not only the 40, we took a whole selection to the range, so I had 9 and 38 also in the mix. Thanks for that idea!! Hubby uses them for shop projects all the time.

Simple plastic ammo cases are a pretty cheap fix..., your gun shop should have plenty of them for different calibers.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

save the box that your defensive ammo came in, when you go to the range and empty your mags, place the bullets back into it's original box

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    I think the solution is to get more mags. Seriously. I have 10 for my XDm and at least 4-6 for my other HGs. For single stack (6-8 rounds) you prob. need more than that. It's just too much trouble to be loading and unloading. I'd get an 'ammo bag' and keep your mags in separate pockets and then reload as soon as you get done shooting otherwise you end up with all these empty mags and that could be a problem in a SHTF sitch.

Great post, though, lol.

Just looked around the web for some ammo boxes, came across these, Ammo Storage Containers, I'm sure there are more like them, it'd be cheaper than more mags (maybe), might be a good way to store SD ammo when unloading and loading range ammo, no one likes to ding their SD ammo unloading and unloading it. I know I have a few mags of SD ammo that I have to unload to go shoot range ammo, so even tho I have 5 mags for my CC firearm, I still unload the SD ammo to put FMJ's in there to go shoot with.
    Just cause you're paranoid, doesn't mean you're wrong....

VIP Member
    What about something like this. You can label each compartment for the kind of ammo you have in it. Easy to take with you and store.

Stack-On | Products | 17-Compartment Deluxe Pro Organizer
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

My range has lowered sections on the table in front of your lane so you can just unload you defensive ammo into the sections and load back up when you are all done.
    Operation Enduring Freedom Veteran

Wish I could find a woman that likes to shoot!

Quote Originally Posted by abillb View Post
    Wish I could find a woman that likes to shoot!
    Find the right woman first THEN get her to like shooting if she doesn't already.

Back on target though, I like the cupcake pan idea... I usally wind up with a couple of piles
    of my SD ammo in my pistol case but I usally end up having to sort it at the end of shooting
    because it wound up getting mixed together some how.

Errr...go through the trash can at the range. All the empty ammo boxes (with those neat little plastic trays) you could ever want, in whatever calibers you want.

Spend money on an ammo box? Fuhgedhaboudit!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

10th is spot on... no real need to buy anything. Like Altoid mints? I love their curiously strong little tin boxes which hold about 15 9mm rounds. Ever buy sour cream? Save the plastic cups. Egg cartons (use 'em all the time for nuts & bolts when I'm working on the cars) will hold an assortment, although they're bulky. For all my gunsmithing projects, I also have a bunch of the Rubbermaid and Glad resealable plastic food storage containers that I use for parts, and these would work well for ammo as well.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

I save plastic margarine containers (1 lb/15oz), got about fifty of them. I use them for sorting, etc when reloading.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Yea, I have that problem also, until yesterday. I ordered a few of those sturdy 100 rd. plastic cases from Midway (they were back ordered). They are cheap, sturdy, come in different colors, compact, and come with stick on placards to write ammo info on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links