Beretta... Service members PLEASE chime in.

This is a discussion on Beretta... Service members PLEASE chime in. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Looking for a 9mm... owned a HK P2000 (super nice gun), owned a Glock 19 (eh... nice well rounded pistol but doesn't really do much ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Beretta... Service members PLEASE chime in.

Beretta... Service members PLEASE chime in.

Looking for a 9mm... owned a HK P2000 (super nice gun), owned a Glock 19 (eh... nice well rounded pistol but doesn't really do much for me), Springfield Xd 3" (That thing was a tac driver) and Glock 17 (worst pistol I ever owned... it was just a bad pistol not blaming Glock) but now I'm looking for a 9mm. Just like some folks grew up loving the Cowboy Colt guns and some grew up admiring the 1911 I grew up drooling over the Beretta M9/92fs. Just cant get over my lust for this gun.

What are all your opinions and experiences with the Beretta M9? I am looking at a Beretta first... G19 second. Honestly I can afford both so really I just need opinions on the Beretta. Service members that are required to carry this gun, please chime in with honest opinions and thoughts about this gun.

I know there are way better "wow" guns out there than the Beretta M9/92fs but for me this will be my "wow" gun and HD gun.

(Also if anyone has had the chance to put a Beretta against a Sig p226 I'd appreciate those opinions as well)

2. Remove Ads

I would take a G19 over Beretta M9 any day. Not saying there is anything wrong with the Beretta but I am a Glock fan. The Beretta has same capacity (15+1) as the compact G19, the Glock weighs about 12 oz less unloaded, is about 1.5 inches shorter than the Beretta, and the Beretta is about $150 more at my LGS then the G19. Easy decision for me, G19 all the way.

Agree with the above.

I do not like the slide mounted safety on the M9. Grabbing the slide to rack it can result in the inadvertent activation of the safety. I also do not like DA/SA triggers in general - I don't care much what kind of trigger a gun has, as long as it is consistent from shot to shot.

Would take a Glock over a M9 any day.
    Skygod likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

I carried an M9 for years...really can't say much bad about the weapon IMHO...

I carry a Glock these days, but would not mind getting a Beretta 92...I have what I consider to be a similar 9mm in my Ruger P89DC, just no safety...
    VCDL Member
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Theodore Roosevelt

I never fired the M9. I have a Taurus PT-99, a clone of one of the Berettas. Very simple to field strip. I got mine in 1987 and it still shoots great. Very controllable, 15rd magazines. At the time it was about $150 cheaper than the Beretta and all steel.
    USN Retired

JD
    Administrator
    Are we talking for carry of just for kicks? I'd get the Beretta, it sounds like you've been wanting one for a while, live the dream.

I had a 92FS and was pretty happy with it, a factory new gun with good mags was much nicer than my ragged out issued M9. I would take it over a G19, but that's me, I would however probably have it converted to a "G" model, no safety, de-cocker only.

VIP Member
    I had qualified for years with a S&W model 15 while I was in the service. Then the switch was made to the M9. I'll admit, that back then I was a wheel gun guy. I personally did not care for the way it felt in my hand. Not sure if was the gun itself or just being use to shooting a revolver. Never encountered any problems with it, just wasn't crazy about it either.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I have carried the M9 for 8 yrs now, not a bad gun, but is is a big framed gun, dont expect to conceal it easily.

I have a Beretta 92F (not FS) that is my EDC. Love to shoot it. Very easy to field strip and only failure I've ever had is a locked open slide with one still in the magazine. Couldn't stand the all black so I replaced the grips with wood ones. The color really improves the appearance in my opinion. I carry with crossbreed super tuck and crossbreed gun belt. Wear tucked in colored tee shirts with an untucked/unbuttoned cover shirt. I'm 5' 10" and 150 lbs. Tall and thin but it doesn't print unless I bend way over.

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Agree with the above.

I do not like the slide mounted safety on the M9. Grabbing the slide to rack it can result in the inadvertent activation of the safety...
    I prefer the P226 for this reason. The safety on the M9 is the only thing that has caused me any frustration - minimal frustration I'll add. If you don't mind the safety on the slide thing, I think the M9 is a pretty good sidearm - it's the only gun I've used to save my life and it did it as well as any other. The only safety that works well for me is a 1911 style. Both the M9 and P226 fit my hand well (P226 a little better). I haven't been able to get on the Glock train yet. Glocks seem pretty superior in so many ways but they just don't rev my engine for some reason. Once I get over what ever it is, I see Glocks in my future though.

Well I shot a few M-9's in the Navy. Never any issues and even beat up the are accurate enough for me to score perfect scores with a few times. For a 9mm they are kindof a boat anchor though. Way bigger and heavier than required for the caliber and capacity. If I had money lying around with nothing to do with it I might own one for kicks but well I haven't won the lottory yet.

I had never even touched a gun before boot camp, when I shot "Expert" with a Beretta. Perhaps that would have happened with any gun (my "trick" was simply following my company commander's advice to "pay attention to the instructor"), but I have always felt very comfortable and confident with it as a result. Don't own one now, but this level of confidence is what led me to buy a Stoeger Cougar (same as a Beretta Cougar) as my first gun, simply because it shared so many of the same characteristics and has that same Beretta beauty. Personally, I love the DA/SA triggers on both of these guns. If I were carrying it regularly in combat, I might not, but as a home defense/carry-in-the-woods gun, I love that it has this added brake on popping off a shot in a high-adrenaline situation.

I've had a 92FS for 14 years. I have field carried it from time to time and punched paper with it a lot. I like the Beretta. I still have it but since acquiring a couple of Glocks it sits parked most of the time now. It's a fine pistol none the less.

Carried the M9 for years as well and I'm a fan. Very comfortable in my hands, never had a FTF/FTE, I don't mind the safety positioning but that's probably due to having it for years....flicking my thumb up to take it off safe is second nature.

But I'm really a fan of Beretta in general, the Cougar is my new EDC.
    Remember, remember the eleventh of September
    The hijacker's murderous plot
    They heard our cry as planes fell from the sky
    Let 9/11 never be forgot

I have owned a lot of different guns over the years. Currently, the 92 platform is my favorite gun series. I love the 1 handed balance of the 92 with the undercut trigger guard..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links