Guns that Chew Your Hands Up When Used Properly

This is a discussion on Guns that Chew Your Hands Up When Used Properly within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am interested in the experiences of the group. Until recently, I have never had a gun that fits my hands so poorly that it ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Guns that Chew Your Hands Up When Used Properly

VIP Member

Guns that Chew Your Hands Up When Used Properly

I am interested in the experiences of the group. Until recently, I have never had a gun that fits my hands so poorly that it actually causes injury when properly used. I am interested in whether others have had similar experiences. I am not talking about getting you hand too high and having the slide take a whack at it, but when you are gripping the gun properly and doing everything right, it still bites you.

My experience was with a Taurus PT709. The gun works perfectly, but after putting 215 rounds through it, the part of the grip that sticks out above your hand simply wore a hole in my hand. It will heal and life will go on, but this is the first gun I have ever had that, when used as designed, bit me. It will be a trade in or sale gun in the near future.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

2. Remove Ads

Years ago I had a Walther PPK that did bite...it was so poorly made that my gun shop sent it back in with a letter pointing out the 'flaws' in the new gun's slide.
    The company sent me a new gun with the same serial number stating the old one had been melted down...the gun shop took that 'new' gun and I bought something else.

Additionally, never let a friend buy a Taurus.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Agree with PPK will Bite you, Mine is a interarms shoots great ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

I can't say that I have, but I don't routinely shoot or carry sub standard size guns.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Administrator
    I have a PPK/S & I melted & polished all of the biting abrupt edges & part of the slide & now it's a "no biter" - much nicer to shoot.

I've got a S&W Airweight, 2" that will sting after you put a bunch of rounds through it. I put a Houge grip on it and that tamed it down a little. Still have my little wheel gun though!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

S&W340pd with. .357.
    bleeding thumbs for sure
    Inspector71 and ccwguy like this.
    You should not have any special fondness for a particular weapon, or anything else, for that matter
    Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Five Rings

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hogdaddy View Post
    Agree with PPK will Bite you, Mine is a interarms shoots great ; )
    H/D
    I have an Interarms also, it came with a box of Band-Aids and a coupon for more.
    hogdaddy and ncsteveh like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I have handguns that aren't the most pleasant to shoot, but none that physically damage my hands.

I don't believe I would keep one if it did. I would find another option, but that is just me.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    A small problem I've discovered with my otherwise beloved S&W M&P 9c is when I slam in a mag reload I tend to pinch the flesh of my hand between the grip and the magazine heel. it can be quite painful. I find my self tending to modify my grip for that instant-not a good idea, I know, but there it is. Anyone else experience this?

My FS .40 hasn't ever done this to me...I kind of use the butt of my hand to slam it home though so it wouldn't really be possible the way I reload...the compact should be less likely even since it has the pinky extension...that's interesting though.
    Psalm 23
    In God I trust, it's the rest of you I'm concerned about

Certified Smith & Wesson M&P pistol and MP15 rifle armorer

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoganbeg View Post
    A small problem I've discovered with my otherwise beloved S&W M&P 9c is when I slam in a mag reload I tend to pinch the flesh of my hand between the grip and the magazine heel. it can be quite painful. I find my self tending to modify my grip for that instant-not a good idea, I know, but there it is. Anyone else experience this?
    Yes - On the same gun that wore a hole in the top of the web between my thumb and forefinger. I have a nice bruise on my ring finger from this exact thing. I guess since I have G21 sized hands, I should stay away from the dinky shooters. Its a nice little gun, but just too little for my hands.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

JD
    Administrator
    I don't get pinched, but I've gotten the odd blister here and there, but eventually those spots toughen up and it's not an issue.

My PF 9 will make your hand sore after a hundred rounds or so.

Distinguished Member
    S&W Jframe 38 that has a hefty trigger pull. It feels like about 15 pounds. The trigger is not exactly filed down to baby-butt softness. It is sharp and midway through a long range session the trigger finger gets raw.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links