Self Help: Because No One Else Is Responsible

This is a discussion on Self Help: Because No One Else Is Responsible within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hey Everybody, It's been a while since I had the time to get on the internets. I recently met an editor for an AOL media ...

Thread: Self Help: Because No One Else Is Responsible

Self Help: Because No One Else Is Responsible

Hey Everybody,

It's been a while since I had the time to get on the internets. I recently met an editor for an AOL media subsidiary called the Lorton VA Patch. We got to talking and he offered me a chance to write for him. I'm not getting paid to write these by anybody without regard to # of hits or any other consideration. I just want the opportunity to reach outside of our insular firearms comunity and get other thinking about the nature and necesity of self defense. I would enjoy some feedback to help me improve my style. As you read these please keep in mind I am atempting to write for the uninitiated into self defence crowd. I am not going to be HO-RA GO GET A GUN. I'm going to atempt to convince people that when the chips are down you are all alone; or worse, with your spouse and children. I believe one can't tell anybody anything. People are too stubborn. I will instead try to get people to think, "Wow, that could happen to me. What would I do?" Here are the links to the articles I have posted so far.

Self Help: an American Institution - Lorton, VA Patch
    Self Help: Because No One Else Is Responsible - Lorton, VA Patch
    "The price of freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness." -Robert A. Heinlein

2. Remove Ads

Good writing. Thought provoking and compelling in the right way, I believe. I hope it gets through to somebody out there.

Good job. Eventually people will learn

Very well written. Not too hoorah, maybe bring in some fence sitters.

I think you aught to present it in the context of responsibility.

When was your last Red Cross class?
    Have you taken a bad weather driving class?
    Do you know what to do in the event of a home invasion?
    Do you have a will? Living Will? Power of Attorney for when you are incapacitated?
    What are the state of your finances? How can you make yourself more secure from emergency?
    What do you do in the event of a shooting in a public place?
    Have you checked to see if all your over the counter medications are not expired (don't want to be taking toxic asprin/cold pills...)

You aren't pushing guns...

You are pushing being a responsible person able to make sure that reasonable people do reasonable things.

Take a driving in bad weather class.
    Having a trauma kit in the briefcase and being able to use it.
    Take a Tactical Response class & carry a dam handgun w/m spare mag.
    Having your property & finances all in order.

You know.

Responsible things!

Not gun stuff.

I say well done. don't change a thing. I am betting the part aboyut the police no being responcable will be news to many.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

I think a lot of people, regardless of which side of an issue they may be on, hate being told they have a problem and what the solution is. The way you've approached the issue(s) is excellent. If you can continue to guide people without telling them what the answer is so they can come up with a solution on their own I think it will help win over those on the fence or oblivious to the reality of why those of us own and carry guns for self defence.
    "Legitimate use of violence can only be that which is required in self-defense."
    Ron Paul.

PB2
    I like the way the articles are written and the way you let the reader come to their own conclusion. I would mention that there are a few spelling/grammatical errors. Three times you used "where" instead of "were" and there are a couple of commas missing in the last sentence. These are very small things in the grand scheme of things but lend weight to your opinion on the matter as a whole. From the reader's standpoint, if you don't know the difference between "where" and "were", how could you possibly be well informed on the topic at hand? As I said, small things to those of us here who agree wholeheartedly with you about self-defense. However, on-the-fence readers like to believe they are getting information from an intelligent source.

Links