Polymer is superior to metal

This is a discussion on Polymer is superior to metal within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Polymer weighs less, is cheaper to manufacture, resists the elements much better, is easier to maintain, and it is stronger than metal. Metal is sexier ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Polymer is superior to metal

Polymer is superior to metal

Polymer weighs less, is cheaper to manufacture, resists the elements much better, is easier to maintain, and it is stronger than metal.

Metal is sexier though.

2. Remove Ads

It also absorbs recoil.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Yeah, but metal is....metal!...
    Saber and Secret Spuk like this.
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

They both have their place IMO.

For me, I'd probably take a modern polymer as a carry/duty weapon, but I still think metal frames make great choices for range and HD use. Of course, there are others who swear only by 1911's, revolvers, etc. and don't tuch the polymer stuff (or "combat tupperware" as they perjoratively call them).

Quote Originally Posted by Dadsnugun View Post
    Yeah, but metal is....metal!...
    and will rust and degrade verses the modern polymer offerings...

I like the steel frames too, but for carry, steel can't compete with the reduced weight of the modern polymer pistol. Just say'n.
    jwhite75 likes this.

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    I have both. My Windicator and my Taurus. I tend to carry the Windicator because it's narrower and easier to conceal despite being a .357mag. I love my Taurus, and when I feel a need for more bang, I carry it. Simply because 11 rds .45ACP without reloading is A LOT of bang.

The main advantages I see in metal are:
    Keeps recoil down a bit
    Makes a WONDERFUL club between reloads or when you're out of ammo
    Just feels good in your hand

Also, the thought of (in close quarters) putting a cold STEEL barrel against someone's ribs might take the fight out of them without pulling the trigger.

Just my thoughts.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Senior Moderator
    Polymer is OK some of the time, but there are times when it is not.

For instance,pistol whipping someone with a plastic gun just doesnt have the same authority that bouncing a steel gun off the head does.

Cracking pecans with the butt of your gun is more difficult. Breaking a car window is tougher. When using the butt of one gun as a hammer to knock a pin out of another gun, steel just works a whole lot better.

Getting some chemicals on a polymer gun will see it turn to liquid, when a steel gun is virtually untouched.

Yeah, Polymer is OK but it does have its disadvantages.
    Guantes and ASSA9 like this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Polymer is OK some of the time, but there are times when it is not.

For instance,pistol whipping someone with a plastic gun just doesnt have the same authority that bouncing a steel gun off the head does.

Cracking pecans with the butt of your gun is more difficult. Breaking a car window is tougher. When using the butt of one gun as a hammer to knock a pin out of another gun, steel just works a whole lot better.

Getting some chemicals on a polymer gun will see it turn to liquid, when a steel gun is virtually untouched.

Yeah, Polymer is OK but it does have its disadvantages.

Hey! HGs, you made me snort in my coffee on those.... good one...

Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    and will rust and degrade verses the modern polymer offerings...

I like the steel frames too, but for carry, steel can't compete with the reduced weight of the modern polymer pistol. Just say'n.
    Yeah, I hear you, just a matter of personal preference to me...not degrading polymers, just prefer the "heft" of a "real" pistol...hahaha!
    gottabkiddin likes this.
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

Polymer is so much better. That's why it's used for main battle tanks, combat aircraft and cannon, even automobile engines. [sarcasm off]
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    Well, for all those hundreds of recorded cases of broken trigger guards, this video certainly ends the debate.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    Polymer stronger than steel??? Call me old fashioned if you want but I still like steel guns. Also if polymer is stronger than steel why are slides, barrels, and revolver cylinders still made of steel? Why hasn't someone made these parts out of polymer? Polymer is lighter than steel. That I will agree with, stronger I don't think so. Yes I do have a polymer firearm (SIG SP2340).

Everyone should own at least one all steel handgun...and at least one polymer handgun....and an alloy framed gun...and a pre lock Smith...and a Colt revolver...and a 1911...and a High Power...and an AR based zombie zapper...and a lever action rifle chambered the same as your favorite revolver...and a Model 70...and an 870...and an M1...and a Ruger Blackhawk with only three digits in the serial number...

(I don't have many other hobbies...)
    Honor is self-esteem made visible in action. - Ayn Rand

You ever seen a Knight in a suit of Polymer
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

ITW
    Polymer is superior to metal?

Unless it gets hot.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links