Arthur and George Shoot Up West Georgia

This is a discussion on Arthur and George Shoot Up West Georgia within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I thought maybe Arthur would have posted some pics or a report by now, but maybe this old geezer wore the youngster out. Well, Arthur ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arthur and George Shoot Up West Georgia

VIP Member

Arthur and George Shoot Up West Georgia

I thought maybe Arthur would have posted some pics or a report by now, but maybe this old geezer wore the youngster out. Well, Arthur did have a disadvantage called a broken leg. We had a blast. We fired the big ammo and the small ammo. We shot the Para LDA .45, the S&W 10mm, the Sig .357Sig, SP101 .357mag, S&W and Sig 9mm, Makarov 9X18, Colt .380, the K-22, and the old High Standard .22mag derringer. Oh, yeah, in a class by itself, the large frame Ruger .44mag SA.

The range is a public range that is manned on the weekend, but during the week is available for use. When we got there after eating lunch, it was warm, but there is a cover and it was not that bad. We had cold water with us and it kept us hydrated. We had the range to ourselves for at least an hour. When we signed in we noticed that there had been 8 others there today, but must have been morning shooters. We fired our own guns and swapped and generally had a good time. Here are some pictures of Arthur shooting. The first two he was sitting because it is difficult to stand with the wrapping on his right leg. The second two he was standing and you can see the right leg is wrapped. I gave Arthur a new experience, he had never fire a 9mm handgun. So he fired two today. I got my first chance to fire a .44mag and 10mm.

After we had been there about an hour some more people arrived. A young man with his mother and nephew came in and test fired his new HiPoint 9mm carbine. BTW QKShooter thanks again for posting the info about the PVC target stands. These folks are going to build some. A few minutes later a man and his young son came by to do some shooting with rifles.

Arthur and I had the opportunity to help Anthony and his nephew, Fernando, to improve their shooting and allow them to try several types of handguns they had never shot before. Although we did not shoot my Kel-Tec P32 Anthony's mother told him she wanted something about that size. Neither Anthony nor Fernando wanted to shoot the .44mag over 1 time. Anthony seemed quite taken with the SIG pistols especially in .357SIG. He has a .40 S&W and .38 revolver that I did not look too closely at. I think it was a Ruger. These two guys who were just beginning to shoot and had never had any instruction had grins from ear to ear as we allow them to put rounds down range with everything we brought. Arthur pointed out the need to use the pad on the finger to pull the trigger rather than putting the finger so far into the guard. I was able to demonstrate a good grip with the pistol placed straight back into the hollow formed by the thumb and fore finger. Their shooting showed an improvement immediately.

We had a great time getting to know each other. I also met Arthur's gracious mother and her little dog, Izzy. We had a ball shooting and just hanging out. I think that our encounter with Anthony, his mom, and Fernando was a highlight of the day for both of us. I am sending my copy of the article about the PVC target stands to Anthony tomorrow and will be sure to enclose the URL for Combat Carry.

By the way if you are ever in LaGrange, GA and you like hot dogs be sure to go by Charlie Joseph's Hot Dogs. They have been there serving hot dogs since 1920. Outstanding.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

2. Remove Ads

Sounds like a good time had by all

Talking

Sorry about the no report yesterday evening....I was wiped out ! After dinner, I was out like a broken light bulb.
    It started out pretty nice at the range. Overcast and a breeze which made it nice, but when the breeze quit, Watch out ! Warm wasn't the word I would use. I think what amazed me was the amount of water George DIDN'T consume !
    We had a goodly amount of firepower between us and plenty of ammo to go around. I had never shot a 9mm before. I always preferred to be different. Anywho...the 9mm in the Sig was a surprising performer. Especially, when I can get 500 rounds for $75.
    Not overbearing and stout, like the .357 SIG (that was quite a handful !...). I shot it quite well. The Mak in 9x23 was very surprising. I would not mind one of those. Its mild recoil (even in 100 gr. bullet) was point of aim accurate. I can even learn to get over the european mag release !
    Now, George has this lil' hi-standard .22 mag derringer that his dad had killed 2 robbers with, that was fun and interesting. It had a good grip, but when you pulled the stout trigger you had better pull hard and direct or your finger just might get caught between the trigger and the rear trigger gaurd. There is no full trigger guard. It diffenently is a belly gun, nothing more. Combined with the lil' magnum bullet, and/or just the fireball itself, is gonna do some harm to the unlucky recepient on the other end.
    I'm glad my old large frame ruger .44 mag with hogue grips didn't scare George, because it shoots like butter with the stock wood grips on. Those hogues will give ya' nightmares. BTW...George, ya' gonna love a sweet shootin' model 29. Well worth the bucks.
    Our new friends Anthony, Fernando, and their mom/grd.mom had a blast (literally). Their first shot with the .44 mag was their only. They got a kick out of that---literally. Those young fellas brought out a hi-point carbine, a .40 s&w taurus to shoot. Well....after they left us...I believe they will know what caliber they might like to stick with and the type of pistol or revolver to make that delivery with. They had grins for days...and good memories to boot.
    It was a great day and I'd love to do it again. George is wonderful guy. A gentleman and a scholar---literally. His kindness won't be overlooked.
    I appreciate your time and fellowship, friend. Its good you made it home safe. God Bless.... Arthur

DR CMG (George)....and no, I don't believe in downsizing ! LOL !....

Lead Moderator
    Sounds like you guys had a great time! The rest of us wish we were there!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

VIP Member
    Don't let Arthur fool any of you that I took a risk of dehydration. I don't think he ever realized that my cup from lunch was still 3/4 full of ice when we got to the range. I drank the melt off most of the rest of the afternoon and just finished it up as we were cleaning up to leave. That's when I had to get into his water cooler.

Hey, Arthur, I wish that Mak was a 9X23. Wouldn't that be some firepower? I know that our discussion of the 9X23 that OnTarget1911/Jess is building probably caused you to forget the actual caliber which 9X18.

As Arthur said we did enjoy not only shooting, but fellowship. I had a fairly easy drive home. West of Montgomery I drove for about 20 miles in a major thunderstorm. I was hoping that we were getting some rain at home, but even though I ran through another storm in the Selma area we got only a slight shower.

Now that I know that Arthur lives so close to Georgia Arms and can buy ammo at such good prices I may have to make another road trip. We can buy ammo and shoot again.

All in all an enjoyable and profitable day for me and I hope for Arthur as well. I can tell you he was genuinely glad to get back to the range having been prevented from going by his leg. Next time we'll see about getting the invite out earlier so that anyone who is close enough by can join us.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Cool pics. I need to find someone here to go shooting with. The few that I know of (not on the boards) have different work schedules then I do. I'm one of the lucky ones that get the weekends off and most that I know either work nights or on weekends.

I'm envious of you two. Like I said, if I still lived in Valdosta I would have asked to attend.

If anyone on the board in near the Eugene/Springfield/Corvallis area, give me a PM

(I promise, I don't bite...... much lol )

Assistant Administrator
    George, Art - great to read of such a great day you had together - more than likely memorable, as these things usually are. Looks like a very nice range - if that firing point area anything to go by.

Thx for the detailed AAR - almost feels like I was there too
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Finally ! Heres a pic looking out from the shooting area to the end of the range itself.

VIP Member
    Arthur, that's a good view. Unfortunately, yours truly is in it displaying an amazing lack of hair on his head. If anyone is wondering, I was down range patching the targets so we could see where the next rounds went.
    George

Assistant Administrator
    George - or should I say - ''fellow baldy'' - at our age it is beyond worrying about

Art - good view of range and yet again I can say - nice facility. I guess I'll forgive you unsized mega pics <mutter>
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    You fellers will have to bring the show to the NEGA area, or I'll have to "go west'. :)
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

George where is your hat i almost went blind

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bud White
    George where is your hat i almost went blind
    It was in the truck. Since we were under cover I didn't wear it. If I had known that Arthur was going to be taking such revealing pictures of my head I would have worn it down range.
    George

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CombatEffective
    You fellers will have to bring the show to the NEGA area, or I'll have to "go west'. :)
    Arthur and I talked a bit about having some kind of regional get together to get to know other members and to do some shooting. It's still a possibility, but we'll have to take a little time to organize it. I think it would be great.

Anybody else in the Southeast want to have a Combat Carry Regional Shoot In? There are quite a few of us in the Southeast and if done properly we could have a good get together. Maybe if we got the word out early enough Wayne and Swiftyjuan could make the road trip from the West Coast.

It was a great day and we had a wonderful time. I really do hope that we can get some kind of gatherings going so that we can actually meet some of the other members here face to face.
    George

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links