Buy Back

This is a discussion on Buy Back within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Parma will participate in gun buy-back program on Saturday | cleveland.com Do you think I would get in trouble if I stood out there and ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By archer51

Thread: Buy Back

Buy Back

Parma will participate in gun buy-back program on Saturday | cleveland.com

Do you think I would get in trouble if I stood out there and offered people money for the firearms they ar bringing in?

I like the line in the article, "The purpose of the gun buy-back program is to reduce gun violence."
    We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would harm us.
    - George Orwell Military

2. Remove Ads

That would probably depend on where the Buy-back occurs. If the line extends off the City property, you might have a chance to make a "personal buy-back" without any problems. On City property, probably not...

How much above the City's price will you offer?

We'll look for you on the 6:00 News!

I too have thought of that. Catch them getting out of there cars and offer them a few extra bucks for there guns.

But, I'm too afraid I would get something that was stolen or used in a crime.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Yeah I would have to be off the property for sure. Well they are offering a 100 gift card so depending on the weapon I would pay 150 cash
    We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would harm us.
    - George Orwell Military

If you offer cash instead of gift cards, you might get something going.

There is no incentive on long guns, although they can be turned in. Another possibility.

Unfortunately, I fear your efforts would be short lived.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post
    I too have thought of that. Catch them getting out of there cars and offer them a few extra bucks for there guns.

But, I'm too afraid I would get something that was stolen or used in a crime.
    You can have your local LEO do a check on the weapon.
    - George Orwell Military

I'll bet there won't be too many good working order handguns turned in for a $100.00 gift card.
    " The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    You could always buy up a bunch of these to turn in. Would make a nice little profit on them.

Amazon.com: Daisy Powerline 15XT air pistol: Sports & Outdoors

Seriously though, where are the funds for this buy back program coming from? If it is from private funds, and the manpower to operate it is on a volunteer basis (as in not being conducted by someone on duty), then let them waste their money and time. However if the buy back is being paid for with tax dollars, and the personal running it are being paid with tax dollar, then I have a VERY BIG problem with it.
    bigdog44 and varob like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Administrator
    I've seen first hand what these buy backs get, save your efforts.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    If I were you and you are serious about doing this I would offer people less than $100 dollars in cash. Most folks realize that gift cards are so popular with stores and programs like this because nobody ever spends all of it, or any of it. My point being that I would personally rather have 75 bucks in cash than a 100 dollar gift card to target.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

I think Sixto is right on hinting that these "buy backs" seldom get working usable firearms off the street. The "we take any" firearm mentality only brings in old, beat up, non-functioning and usually obsolete ones that would probably not be used by criminals. Waste of time, effort and money.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

I have participated in ripping off and/or otherwise subverting many buy backs. I once saw a Colt Officers Model Match and a Single Action Army go to the crush pile and I've hated them ever since. When the Daytona Beach PD fist started sponsoring these I worked in a local gun shop. I stripped the parts of many Lorcin .25acps ($29.99 wholesale in quantity) and when SKS rifles were like $70 each in a cosmoline wrap DBPD was offering $200 for each "assault rifle". We stood outside with the Blue Book and cash (and business cards) with some success. Now they hold them in a building with a secure parking lot and its a lot harder. Atthe shop where I work now we collect junk all year just for the buy back. Last year we made $600. They started lowering the price for BB guns and stripped receivers.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Buy Back..?

How can it be a "Buy Back" when the Police didn't own them in the first place..!!..?

FireStar M40

Quote Originally Posted by JoJoGunn View Post
    I think Sixto is right on hinting that these "buy backs" seldom get working usable firearms off the street. The "we take any" firearm mentality only brings in old, beat up, non-functioning and usually obsolete ones that would probably not be used by criminals. Waste of time, effort and money.
    Sometimes junk, but not always. I have seen some tragedies at buybacks. One of the employees where I used to work would take the Blue Book to either try to buy good guns, or to at least persuade owners that they could get more value. Most were nothing special, some were ghetto crap, several BB guns, but I saw M1 carbines, Colt Trooper, Ruger MKIIs, etc. There was a batch of .30-30 lever actions, quite a few war trophy Mausers, Arisakas, and such. Saw a P38 Walther and a Walther TPH in the rare .25acp caliber.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

I wouldn't waste my time.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Links