The 500 S&W

The 500 S&W

This is a discussion on The 500 S&W within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I saw a couple of guns at the show this weekend that I REALLY LIKED. I believe one was a .460 (forgot the name after ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The 500 S&W

Question The 500 S&W

I saw a couple of guns at the show this weekend that I REALLY LIKED. I believe one was a .460 (forgot the name after it) and a 500 smith and wesson, both around $800-$950. (STICKER PRICE, I DID NOT INQUIRE ABOUT THE "GUN-SHOW" PRICING.) I really like the 500, but I didnt want the 14" Barrel. Is a barrel this long a necessity for a weapon with this much power behind it? The 500SW that I looked at had probably.... a 5 or 6" barrel, which I liked 'cause you could just about concealed carry it. On the other hand I was concerned about it, never shooting this caliber first off, and second, about the size of the barrel, wondering what kind of recoil and flip i'd be looking at vs a longer barrel . I realize that a 500 s/w is probably not the best self defense round, as it seems it would CERTAINLY exit whatever it was shot into. I DO NOT plan on carrying it for concealed for any reason. I just like the weapon.

So Here's what Im asking everyone.
    1) What do you think about the 500 S&W?
    2) What is a reasonable price for said weapon?
    3) Do I need a longer barrel than 5-6" to control the pistol better?

+++++ - any experiences any of you have had with a 500 S&W

Your opinions about my concerns, general thoughts about the weapon, ammunition, recoil, muzzle flip or anything pertaining to this thread are appreciated in advance.

S
    Last edited by floridaguy911; August 9th, 2006 at 12:46 PM.
    N.R.A. Member
    G.O.A. Member
    Unified Sportsmen of Florida Member

Lead Moderator
    I would consider the recoil hampering follow up shots, gun size and weight as well as potential over penetration issues before carrying such a gun.
    While I'm sure the 500 is a great round/gun, it appears to be a biggest caliber /bragging gun more than ultimately useful. (unless yer hunting big game)
    If you really want 1 , go for it, just don't expect to be taken seriously if you use it for CCW.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

So Here's what Im asking everyone.
    1) What do you think about the 500 S&W?
    2) What is a reasonable price for said weapon?
    3) Do I need a longer barrel than 5-6" to control the pistol better?
    1) Absolutely love shooting it.
    2) Reasonable is subjective, but I'd think somewhere around 800 is decent.
    3) I have the 8 3/8" barrel and it's not too difficult to control. The 4" barrel looks pretty nasty and I'm sure the control would be much more difficult to handle. I for one would not use it for CCW, (too heavy, too bulky, 5 round cyl, follow up shot issues) But hey if you miss your target the muzzle flash will surely get them.
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the PEOPLE to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Ive got the 500 with 8-3/8 barrel, at the time only barrel length available there was the Hunter Model 10.5, now they have the 4 inch model and maybe others. I love mine, but not crazy about the barrel length, it has grown on me though. I should have waited to see if a 6.5 or 7 inch would come out, but I got it used with 5 rounds through it for a song. Reasonable price through Gunbroker.com is $700 - $800; Im very patient so Id be looking under $700 if I were buying now. Do you need a longer barrel, depends on what your going to do with it, the extra length will help with muzzle rise. Recoil and muzzle blast ARE VERY IMPRESSIVE with full power loads, normal lighter bullets are manageable, and you almost have to reload if you shoot it a lot as ammo is expensive, north of $35 box 20.
    "My fellow Americans, I am pleased to tell you I just signed legislation which outlaws Russia forever. The bombing will begin in five minutes."
    (Ronald Reagan 11 August 1984)

I too have one with an 8 3/8 barrel. Easier to control then you'd think. For this type of gun I feel the longer barrel is better. This gun is for hunting large game, or if you have the money to just shoot for fun, not for CCW. Even with a 5 inch barrel its till to big and heavy (mine is like 5lbs loaded!!). And with the 500 you have waaaay to much power. I shot a hole through a 1/4 steel plate last time I was a the range using a 440gr hard cast round (I think I hit the same spot twice but still thats power) I think I paid 750 for mine.

I don't own one, but I've shot several .500s&w's, and 2 .460's as well. You're not going to fire either without knowing that you've shot a large caliber handgun... kick is substantial, but not punishing with the rubber grips that S&W is putting on them.

I did get to shoot John Ross's carry gun, a 3" 'snubby' .500 with no compensator and bird's head grips... that one was a little much for me.

The .460 is probably a more flexible hunting sidearm. You can shoot 45lc and 454casul for 'plinking' and step up to the full power .460's if you need to. Realistically, you'd almost have to reload for either one of these if you shoot much, and you can load the .500 down to very comfortable levels.

I'll probably pick up a 6" .500 eventually... I'm really starting to favor magnum caliber revolvers over bottom feeders for range use, I just enjoy shooting them.
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

I've got the 460 5" and the 500 4"

The 4" is pretty tame till you get into the hot loaded 440 and 700 grain bullets

I like them both the 460 is like shooting a 44 mag even with the heavies ..

1 i love shooting the 500
    2 i paid 850 for mine new
    3 no very controllable with the 4" barrel comps do there job

9mm 45 acp and 500 smith

500 with a 38

500 Full Recoil with 440 grain bullets

700 grain 500
    and 270 460 smith

460 smith 5"

From left to right

700 Grain 500 slug,45 colt,454,500 350 grain 440 500 grain , 460 200 grain Hornady

Hopefully if all goes well this weekend ill get action shots of the 500 with 700 grain bullets

Here are a couple videos of the 500 in action:
    275grain
    350grain
    700grain
    This is through the 10.5 in PC model. Recoil is not bad with anything but the 700gr. When you load those to the max you know you touched off something a little different

Sorry...I'm a party pooper. If I can't do it with a .44 mag, I'll do it with a rifle...

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Burwell
    Here are a couple videos of the 500 in action:
    275grain
    350grain
    700grain
    This is through the 10.5 in PC model. Recoil is not bad with anything but the 700gr. When you load those to the max you know you touched off something a little different
    Actually i think the 700 is gentler than the 440's

We may have to agree on disagreeing. the 700 with 25 gr of H110 I think is a real wrist breaker, a couple of those and my wrist just plain hurts.

Just my $.02 but I think the lighter bullets give the comp more gas to work, and with the 700 there just isn't enough gas left to do much. I find the lighter bullets like the 275s have a lot less muzzle rise but the 700 seems to have the most.

Either way I cannot wait to get a Whitetail with one of those 275s. I had an opportunity to get a small doe last year but I passed as I didn't figure there would be much meat left on her by the time the 500 was done doing it's magic. Hopefully better hunting this year.

Dan

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    I think you big bore revolver guys are nuts! To answer the questions: 1) I think a .500 S&W would be my worst nightmare
    (unless they made a .600); 2) whatever amount my hospital/chiropractor bills would be after I got through shooting it; 3) I don't think ANY barrel length would be controllable unless it's more than 16" and a shoulder stock comes with it....but the longer barrel would probably be more controllable.

Hey, but seriously, if it floats your boat, get it and enjoy it!

Assistant Administrator
    You can always back off a tad and play with this

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Talking

Thanks to all that have posted so far, all of your comments and opinions are welcomed!!

Fortunately Randy, The Government makes any manufacturer jump through a long line of very specific hoops that are difficult to accomplish in order to make any caliber above .50 (which is what I read in my research on these big caliber handgun rounds) So until someone jumps through a million hoops to make a .550 or .600++ then this is probably as big as its going to get!

Bud, as always the pics are interesting and appreciated. I actually thought of you and Chris (not that way!! LOL ) when I was posting the original thread. Im anxious to check out the action shots you get.

Chris, I knew you would also have a contribution, on a previous thread I saw that same picture you posted (red velvet- the Chris P95 Trademark of gun display ) and thats what drove me to check out magnum research for the first time! Sweet revolver for sure!

Shaun
    N.R.A. Member
    G.O.A. Member
    Unified Sportsmen of Florida Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links