Fire mission: Should ODU ban guns from campus buildings and sporting events?

This is a discussion on Fire mission: Should ODU ban guns from campus buildings and sporting events? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; ODU moves to tighten campus firearms ban | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fire mission: Should ODU ban guns from campus buildings and sporting events?

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

"Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

VIP Member
    Another case of our education system trying to "mold" young minds. Of course their "enlightened thinking" has brought us a welfare system, socialized health care, tolerance of drugs.......all the things that have made this country so great! *sarcasm off*
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Looking good so far...
    Should ODU ban guns from campus buildings and sporting events?
    Yes
    30% (308 votes)

No
    68% (696 votes)

Undecided
    1% (15 votes)

Total votes: 1019

Disclaimer: This is an unscientific sampling of users.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

No way, in fact ODU should offer you a gun with the acceptance letter. The Triad of NSU, ODU, and Hampton University is not a place you want to hang out. I'm surprised parents actually let their kids go there.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    From VCDL:

ACTION ITEM #2

Tell the ODU President, Board of Visitors, and the Administrative and Finance Vice President that the proposed gun ban is unacceptable.

Email addresses: president@odu.edu, dmeeks@odu.edu, rfenning@odu.edu

Suggested subject: Do not further endanger students, visitors, and faculty!

Suggested message:

Concealed handgun permit holders should be able to protect themselves while at ODU, a campus which is in proximity to areas with a higher crime-rate. Permit holders, who must be at least 21-years-old, are among the most law-abiding citizens, believing in law-and-order to the extent that they get the training and pass a background check to get a permit. A citizen who has a drinking or a drug problem, or who has shown himself or herself to be a violent person is not qualified to get a permit.

Permit holders can already carry a handgun virtually everywhere they go, including the General Assembly, banks, restaurants, malls, state and local government buildings, festivals, and libraries. Some states, such as Utah, allow permit holders to carry in universities and have had no negative consequences. Quite the contrary, Utah universities would be a very inhospitable place for criminals to strike.

The police simply cannot be everywhere at once. Even a delay of one or two minutes for a police response could make the difference between life and death for someone. On top of that, a victim getting to a call box or making a call on their cell phone while in the middle of a violent criminal attack is usually impossible.

The University should not be forcing a permit holder to put his or her life on the line simply to get an education and it is wrong of the University to ask them to do so.

I urge the University to allow concealed handgun permit holders to carry a concealed handgun on campus for self-defense.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

VIP Member
    How about we get legislation introduced in the House to strip state funding from ODU? I don't want my tax dollars used to support this kind of liberal institution in Virginia.

ITW
    I have a question for you guys that support CCW permit holders carrying weapons on campus.

If ODU or any other school is forced or decides to allow CCW permit holders to carry.

How do you suggest the school determine that those who are carrying concealed weapons are indeed CCW permit holders? Furthermore, how would you suggest law enforcement respond to incidents in a situation where many students may be armed.

ITW
    Quote Originally Posted by ctr View Post
    How about we get legislation introduced in the House to strip state funding from ODU? I don't want my tax dollars used to support this kind of liberal institution in Virginia.
    Question ctr.

Does the liberal label apply to U.S. military bases and federal/state offices as well.

Since you wont be legally carrying your gun on their property either.

they should not ban guns fromt he campus. but instead let anyone with legal right to conceal carry to do so. how can the state take away a right that was givin to us by the federal government? i understand that we will get our nut cases every once in a while but if the rightouse person does not have a form of self defense then your telling the inocent person to die. our nut-case crime rate is low compared to all the guns that the people of this country have. some countries have allot higher crime rates with tighter gun bans (how does that happen?). In all this mess what im really trying to say is that if a nut-case decides to go crazy on a bunch of students, then the students should have the chance to fire back at that nut-case.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ITW View Post
    Question ctr.

Does the liberal label apply to U.S. military bases and federal/state offices as well.

Since you wont be legally carrying your gun on their property either.
    Note ITW, that liberal is not a label for ODU, it is a statement of fact for that institution. Note as well, that no where in my post did I label government facilies as liberal. Those were your words, not mine.

Federal/state offices and military facilies are not "their" property, the property belongs to of the citizens of the United States and/or the peoples of their respective states. Any free and honest man should be able to carry on or in any of these facilities.

Military personnel should be allowed to carry on military bases is my thinking on the matter.

There are plenty of folks who did the legally correct thing - funny thing is, it got many of them killed. Don't ever confuse the terms legally not able to with being the right thing to do. And no, I am not advocating breaking the law either.

ITW
    Note ITW, that liberal is not a label for ODU, it is a statement of fact for that institution. Note as well, that no where in my post did I label government facilies as liberal. Those were your words, not mine.
    The United States is the most liberal nation in the history of the world, my friend.

This fact is not in dispute.

The allowance of common citizens to own and carry firearms by itself is a wholly liberal concept.

Therefore, maybe ODU is a conservative institution.

Federal/state offices and military facilies are not "their" property, the property belongs to of the citizens of the United States and/or the peoples of their respective states. Any free and honest man should be able to carry on or in any of these facilities.
    Have you ever been on a military base?

BTW, how does one determine a free and honest man?

Military personnel should be allowed to carry on military bases is my thinking on the matter.
    Well, the military does not allow carry on bases even by service members except by law enforcement or when authorized.

In fact, even combat knives are strictly controlled in most areas.

The reasons are simple. It is to prevent unfortunate incidents from occurring.

The Marines down at Parris Island would have a field day with you dude. And no, they wouldn't let you bring your gun.

There are plenty of folks who did the legally correct thing - funny thing is, it got many of them killed. Don't ever confuse the terms legally not able to with being the right thing to do. And no, I am not advocating breaking the law either.
    Question... If you carry a weapon in Afghanistan, does this mean you wont get killed?

Hey, I've got an idea. Instead of addressing the obvious mental health crisis currently gripping the nation. Why don't we send all the jobs to China and pass out guns instead.

Whoops, looks like somebody's already thought of that.

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    The allowance of common citizens to own and carry firearms by itself is a wholly liberal concept.
    That statement both amuses and intrigues me. Can you please explain your reasoning on this point?
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

ITW
    Quote Originally Posted by DontTreadOnI View Post
    That statement both amuses and intrigues me. Can you please explain your reasoning on this point?
    Sure.

The bill of rights was a rather revolutionary document when it was ratified.

Most societies throughout history have prohibited weapons ownership and possession by commoners.

Interesting to note than in 1780 only white, male property owners could vote.

And our existence as a nation, except in times of war, has always been tenuous at best.

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    The bill of rights was a rather revolutionary document when it was ratified.
    Agreed.

Most societies throughout history have prohibited weapons ownership and possession by commoners.
    True.

Interesting to note than in 1780 only white, male property owners could vote.
    True.

I thought you were going to clarify your reasoning for saying that the allowance of common citizens to carry firearms is a wholly liberal concept. You did not.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links