Shooting at one of my other offices last week.

This is a discussion on Shooting at one of my other offices last week. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This one didn't make the news, and I only have third hand information. A couple, BF/GF, that both work at one of my company's other ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Guest1
  • 1 Post By JoJoGunn
  • 1 Post By RETSUPT99

Thread: Shooting at one of my other offices last week.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

This one didn't make the news, and I only have third hand information.

A couple, BF/GF, that both work at one of my company's other offices arrived at work. They were arguing. The BF, a 23 year old who recently completed his Paramedic training, and also volunteers in the Richmond VA area, went back out to the car, came back in with a handgun and shot himself in the head, splattering the GF with brain matter.

I didn't know either of these two individuals, but I know lots of their coworkers, and I just worked out of that office when I picked up some overtime last month. I don't know if the BF had previously threatened harm to himself or the GF, or if this was a spur of the moment decision.

My company prohibits firearms anywhere on company property under threat of termination. Obviously this didn't stop the BF, and there are several employees who 'probably' store their firearms in their cars. The company Director is a pro gun guy, as are most of the Supervisors, but we are part of a larger multiple hospital health system that has the policy carved into stone.

So far there hasn't been any uptick in policy enforcement, probably because the company tends to bury stuff like this under the carpet so as not to get any bad PR. I am however sure that getting caught with a firearm, or being reported for having a firearm, these days will not be a positive career move.

I'm not a big proponent of the old accessibility begets crime/violence theory, but in this case it seems to have a nugget of truth.

Please folks, if you have access to a firearm or other weapon, think and take a breather before you get into an argument or have an urge to 'go out with a bang' or 'show them how serious this is.' It's not worth it. It's a permanent solution to a temporary problem. Seek help. we don't want to lose anybody to suicide.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Well said!
    joker1 likes this.

At least he was man enough to not make it a murder/suicide. Although he could have not done it in front of so many people. Better yet he could have not done it at all, even though he could have used lots of things other than a gun.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Sad on all accounts, do not understand why anyone would want to do this. I like women, and trying not to sound bad, have never seen one that I would be willing to kill myself for.

It's just something we may never know the reasons why guys do it.
    jwhite75 likes this.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

VIP Member
    Very sad.

There was a time when my lifestyle was a little too wild for me to be around guns, but I knew it and didn't own them then.

There have been respected members here who were wise enough to realize that they were going through tough emotional times, and chose to put the guns away. There's no shame in turning them over to a trusted friend until you're back on your feet again.

VIP Member
    We live to die and some people can't wait.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Very well put.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

I read stuff like this and I think what an idiot. I love my wife but killing myself is not a solution to anything. Why we need access to our guns at work, what if he had decided instead to takeh his problems out on his fellow employees? I’d prefer to be able to defend myself than wait cowering in a corner for help to arrive. Management won’t see it this way but hey they did everything they possibly could to prevent this from happening. After all they had a written policy didn’t they? What more do you want?
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

He brought a gun on company and he was terminated...oh wait, he terminated himself...no harm, no foul.
    Another long-term solution, to a short-term problem...
    At least he didn't shoot anyone else.
    guardmt likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I Agree!!

Quote Originally Posted by JoJoGunn View Post
    Sad on all accounts, do not understand why anyone would want to do this. I like women, and trying not to sound bad, have never seen one that I would be willing to kill myself for.

It's just something we may never know the reasons why guys do it.
    I agree JoJo..

Been married to the other half for more years than I can remember.. except when our anniversary comes up! As far as I'm concerned, if she messed around or decided to divorce me, she ain't worth popping a cap into.. or scrambling my brains for.

I can't believe people don't realize when you decide to ingest the "lead pill", you ain't waking up the next morning. Under normal circumstances, nothing could be that bad to go that route.

FireStar M40

Sometimes emotional pain is worse than physical pain,and people aren't thinking about tomorrow
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Sometimes emotional pain is worse than physical pain,and people aren't thinking about tomorrow
    So very true!! Also, lots of anger in this guy--the very way in which he completed his suicide so as to splatter himself ON her, shows some true, underhanded and mean-spiritied intent. She is going to live with some horrible memories...........
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Glad you're ok and he didn't actually harm anyone else...physically anyway. Although the idea/method of killing himself so as to leave bits of himself all over the other person seems...twisted. Seems there's a nutter around every corner these days.
    Sorry I might sound insensitive here... er well, I guess because I am. I'm not entirely sure I agree with this one bit anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    It's a permanent solution to a temporary problem. Seek help. we don't want to lose anybody to suicide.
    If you're nuts enough to do something like this...please feel free... just don't murder anyone else in the process. I'm certainly not going to argue if you want to help us clean up your genes from the pool though. We've got far too many sick nutters out there as it is.

I am however, in complete and total agreement with this bit. Although I think it should apply to everyone whether you're carrying a firearm or not. Some folks just need to take a breather period.
    Please folks, if you have access to a firearm or other weapon, think and take a breather before you get into an argument
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaplain Scott View Post
    So very true!! Also, lots of anger in this guy--the very way in which he completed his suicide so as to splatter himself ON her, shows some true, underhanded and mean-spiritied intent. She is going to live with some horrible memories...........
    I agree, she will be the victim in this incident. She'll most likely live with that for the rest of her life.

Sponsored Links