Got my Frog Lube today...

This is a discussion on Got my Frog Lube today... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So there are a few threads regarding Frog Lube and Gunzilla... I had Gunzilla and now just received my order of Frog Lube. First off, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Got my Frog Lube today...

So there are a few threads regarding Frog Lube and Gunzilla... I had Gunzilla and now just received my order of Frog Lube. First off, the smell is great. Just like wintergreen breath savers. Secondly, it is a dream to work with. No offensive odor or fumes. I ordered a kit that has both a liquid and a paste product. They are the same exact product and both have the same properties, just one's a paste and the other a liquid. Now, on to the application... The test subject is my brand new Sig P250. I field stripped it and cleaned with non-chlorinated brake parts cleaner... I know what you're thinking, why use a safe green product, only to have to use a not so friendly product to pre-clean. It's all I had on hand. There are several quality bio-based cleaner/de-greasers that would work just fine too. Anyway, I followed that up with 90% isopropyl aclohol just a described in the directions.

The directions do however recommend heating up the metal parts prior to application. I know... it's a pain in the ass... but if this stuff works half as good as all the chatter... it'll be worth it. So out with the hair dryer and heating up the parts one at a time. The kit even includes an acid brush to facilitate application. What a great idea that was.

So after heating each part, I applied the Frog Lube paste and used the brush to get it worked in to all the cracks and crevices. The Frog Lube paste just seems to melt in to the warm metal insuring complete coverage.

Now you are supposed to wait for 30-60 minutes before wiping off the excess product. Now, if this is the initial application, it is recommended to repeat this procedure again. Again, I know it is a bit of a pain in the ass, but it's a one-time initial process (As long as you don't revert to another CLP. That would remove the Frog Lube).

After all that, I just applied a few drops of the liquid Frog Lube to the fire control group, and put a little pase on the slide rails as well as the outside of the barrel.

After re-assembling the pistol, compared to out of the box, the action is smooth as butter as well as cycling the slide. Very smoooooth...

Now, its off to the range. I will do my best to do a post-range report.

So far, Frog Lube looks quite promising.

GM
    Glad it works for you, but I think I will continue using Eezox and Militec-1. It takes only about 20 minutes to clean and lube a semi-auto. And the best of all is that I do not need a hair dryer
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

I use mobil 1 synthetic

Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    Glad it works for you, but I think I will continue using Eezox and Militec-1. It takes only about 20 minutes to clean and lube a semi-auto. And the best of all is that I do not need a hair dryer
    Great! I am happy that combo works for you. However, Militec-1 recommends heating the metal as well.. With either Frog Lube or Militec, that step is not necessary, just speeds up the process.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    I use mobil 1 synthetic
    A lot of other people do as well, its a great idea and it would seem like a quart would last 2 or 3 lifetimes...

OK... Back from the range. I dumped 300+ rounds of TulAmmo through my P250. Not a single issue. The Frog Lube does not seem to burn off or smoke. It was very interesting watching the gun get "wet" with the Frog Lube as the gun heated up. It seemed to be seeping out of the pores of the metal Everything seemed very smooth and all that was required at the range was a quick wipe down with a microfiber towel. After returning home, I took a dry cleaning patch and lightly wiped out the chamber area and all the powder residue came right out. The directions say to use a towel moistened with a little Frog Lube to clean the barrel and parts, but I didn't even need to do that. I did run a patch down the bore with a little of the Frog Lube on it... but it took FAR less than other products I have used to clean the bore. Still, so far so good. I haven't tested the corrosion resistance yet and only time will tell as far as the anti-wear characteristics.

As a side note: I am in NO WAY trying to start a product x vs. product y thread. I was very reluctant to try a bio-based CLP product. I had always used Eezox for corrosion protection and a variety of other oils over the years. I did a few hours of research in to the bio-based lube products and it is a really big deal. In fact, the US Government has procurement requirements for bio-based greases and oils. They are used widely in the food service industry and carry impressive EP/AW ratings. Just sharing a little knowledge. I will keep updating and possibly post a quick vid.
    Thanks for reading.

Funny.

Environmentally safe, green, bio lubes and cleaners designed to make an object that emits toxic gasses and launches toxic heavy metals at high velocity function better.

I'll stick with my Gunzilla & Copperzilla, Hoppes, and Tri Flo. All three seem to do just fine.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Again, not starting a product x vs. Product y. Not trying to convert anyone. But... Isn't Gunzilla plant-based...? Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by JBachman View Post
    Again, not starting a product x vs. Product y. Not trying to convert anyone. But... Isn't Gunzilla plant-based...? Yes.

Not starting a X vs. X chat here. Yes, Gunzilla is plant based [coincidence] , and works as good or better than anything else that I have used.

Sticking with what I have as I have enough to last a very loooong time, no point in adding more to the cleaning kit.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

I agree Gunzilla is a fabulous product. I own it. I am NOT trying to get anyone to add anything to their routine. Just a thread sharing my thoughts and observations.

@sticks... How is the Gunzilla working for you? I have one of my M&Ps coated with it right now. It seems to have staying power... However, I have not put any rounds through it since I applied it.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Other than the smell (or lack thereof), I haven't found Gunzilla to work any better or worse than anything else I've used on firearms in the past (Auto products, Singer sewing machine oil, 3-in-1, "gun" products, etc). Not so sure about a firearm that smells "minty fresh." Whatever one likes, one should use. The rest is marketing hype.

Sent from my desktop using fingers and a keyboard.
    oakchas likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

mobil 1

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    . . .

Lube Luddite! and "conservative" technology user as well! Good on ya' ol' man... er... OldVet! What works, works.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Other than the smell (or lack thereof), I haven't found Gunzilla to work any better or worse than anything else I've used on firearms in the past (Auto products, Singer sewing machine oil, 3-in-1, "gun" products, etc). Not so sure about a firearm that smells "minty fresh." Whatever one likes, one should use. The rest is marketing hype.

Same thing here! I used Gunzilla when I started to get rust on one of my stainless steel firearms, but the rust always came back after a few days. Then I tried Eezox, and the rust never came back.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links