LEO at gun range

LEO at gun range

This is a discussion on LEO at gun range within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I ran into an LEO at the gun range today,It was kind of Interesting,his duty gun is a 6 shot 357 magnum,and his patrol rifle ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: LEO at gun range

LEO at gun range

I ran into an LEO at the gun range today,It was kind of Interesting,his duty gun is a 6 shot 357 magnum,and his patrol rifle is an AK,but he has a glock 18 for backup,I got a feeling in the near future I'm gonna get to shoot a glock 18
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

A glock 18...full auto? Do they let those come out on public ranges?
    The United States Constitution 1791. All Rights Reserved.

Hm, hook that department up with the chief in this article, he's looking to get rid of his. Daily Journal - Greenwood police looking for ways to unload guns

Couldn't access the whole article, but can't say I really blame him for wanting to get rid of the Glocks...a full-auto pistol just seems needlessly hazardous in a civilian environment. I'd think that a select-fire M4 should be nearly as maneuverable in certain configs and capable of more precision fire.

No denying it would be fun to put a couple of mags through an 18 though! Good luck with that Dukealmighty!

It also sounds like someone at the GPD thought they'd be fun too, and did a little creative purchasing with the departments money!
    Last edited by Dadsnugun; September 22nd, 2011 at 09:29 AM.
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

VIP Member
    Way back when, I carried a S&W Mod 19 for years. What a great gun ! There are lots of great duty guns out there today, however if I needed to I'd carry that 19 right now.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Eeeesh, let's hope he has the sense to never use it in full auto.
    These things are interesting toys, the gee-whiz factor is great, and they look cool in Hollywood movies where they shoot forever without running dry, but the fact is full auto fire from a handgun is a retarded idea. The concept has nothing but drawbacks and no benefits.

Administrator
    Are you sure he just wasn't some security guard with some wishful thinking? An AK makes me wonder a bit, then the G18.... Nah. I've shot a G18 on a number of occasions. Its fun, but I got to agree with dadsnugun- its worthless and dangerous in a police application.
    Secret Spuk and TN_Mike like this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Yeah I don't buy a LEO carrying an AK or a G18, I think he may have been pulling your leg or you unknowingly met Gecko45

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Are you sure he just wasn't some security guard with some wishful thinking? An AK makes me wonder a bit, then the G18.... Nah. I've shot a G18 on a number of occasions. Its fun, but I got to agree with dadsnugun- its worthless and dangerous in a police application.
    I'm sure he was LEO,had the PD badge and got his business card,His city is right in the middle of a major drug route,I personally would opt for am M4 I can do faster reloads with the AR platform,But I can also see his side with the AK round having better penetration and at the close ranges they encounter drug runners at MOA accuracy isn't that important.I agree with the opinion of the G18,too uncontrollable for populated areas,but If given the opportunity I'd shoot one just to say I did
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I'm with Sixto on this one....

I also have fired the Glock 18. Didnt like it. Not controllable... No... Wait... I'm calling B/S on this one. Not that the OP is b/sing... but the guy at the range was most likely a poser. A/K as a patrol rifle?... and a Smith19 service revolver? Thats about as odd a collection of firearms as is possible. Make's no sense to me.

Ya wierd

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    G18, last I looked one up, didn't cost that much more than any other Glock. Only difference is the license you need to buy it.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

We have a class III collector in Tucson who takes his MP5K to one of our indoor pistol ranges once a month.

Everything stops when he lets 'er rip thru a magazine.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolvingMag View Post
    G18, last I looked one up, didn't cost that much more than any other Glock. Only difference is the license you need to buy it.
    heh, heh, heh....... did you ever price one? Around $8K class 111 dealer to class 111 dealer (Arizona prices), double that figure for us poor mortals. (Thank you Ronald Reagan and "Slick Willie" Clinton for class 111 weapon restrictions) Add $200 fed tax stamp.

glock 18, been there, done that, got the t-shirt. no big deal. ak for duty rifle, don't think so. but some small departments i have seen you just don't never know what they got in the car. 357 mag wheel gun. well i did back in the early 70's. now there are some departments that still carry wheel guns. so the wheel gun and ak could be true.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links