My Taurus died today.

This is a discussion on My Taurus died today. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Sorry to hear your shooter is broke. I'm not a Taurus fan. IMO when you get it back sell it or trade it for a ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: My Taurus died today.

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Sorry to hear your shooter is broke. I'm not a Taurus fan. IMO when you get it back sell it or trade it for a .38 snubby revolver for your back-up. They're small and light and if you stick to a S&W, or Ruger, or Colt they are very dependable, and will take a +p load.
    Just my $.02
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

2. Remove Ads

i just got rid of my taurus pt709 it shot good for the first few mags and i loved carrying it about the right size but after three FTE's or so every mag i took it back to the lgs that i bought it from told him it didnt work and took a small hit and got the lcp only shot about 100 rounds thru it but i didnt want to deal with shipping it back to taurus and idk if i could trust it again even once it came back, it would at least cost me alot in ammo to gain my confidence again

Administrator
    What is kinda neat about Taurus is that even if it suffers a catastrophic failure right when you're attempting to defend your life & you get killed....your Wife will STILL be able to ship it back to Taurus and they will repair it for free.
    azchevy, tcon67 and thephanatik like this.

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    ... I'm tempted to go out and buy another little gun of some kind, maybe even another Taurus. As long as I can take it to the range and put 50 rounds through it with no malfunctions, I'll feel confident to carry it. When my other one comes back from repair I could either keep it as a backup-backup, or sell it. At the moment my Walther P22 has taken its place and I used it just last night at a family gathering where I didn't want to carry my Glock.
    There are plenty of small guns to choose from.
    I would suggest not depending on anything for carry until after a minimum of 300 trouble free rounds.
    For me that even includes revolvers (this bewilders some of my friends).
    My 85UL failed for the third time at under 180 rounds. And that's as far as I got with it.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

Sell it and get a Sig P238.

Where did I hear that before.
    PPKman likes this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

While our three LCPs have not been without issue, Ruger fixed them up quickly, and they've been reliable ever since - including running one of them through a low light pistol class. If you want really small, I'd suggest one. If you can go a bit bigger, take a look at a CM9. Bigger still gets you into the PF9, LC9, new Beretta Nano, and snubbie territory.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

+ 1 on the LCP.... IMO, it's a better pistol.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Administrator
    To be fair to Taurus Firearms - their firearm catastrophic failure rate is not nearly as bad these days as it was years ago.

I still remain jaded against them due to their pathetically abysmal past record AKA ~ because I am not one of those Americans that suffers from short memory syndrome.

So buying a Taurus is not quite as much of a crapshoot as it once was back when the "crapshoot" was that you would probably get a crappy shooter.
    TN_Mike likes this.

Well, I hope nobody has to be saying to me "I told you so" a year from now.. but I bought another Taurus. After sending my broken one in I decided that I have no idea how long it will take to get it repaired, nor how long it would take for me to ever trust that particular gun again. So I went shopping for a new sub-compact. After much deliberating, I decided on a Taurus TCP 732. It looks EXACTLY like my TCP 738, only it uses a .32 caliber instead. Yeah, I know.. less power. But I hope that means less recoil (firing that little thing hurts the palm of my hand) and also I'm sort of hoping that it is less stress on the internals of the gun so maybe it will last longer.. Not sure. I haven't even fired it yet. The store I bought it from was out of stock on .32 caliber ammo. On the bright side, I can use all of the same holsters I was already using for my 738.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Good luck.

Posted from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    Well, I hope nobody has to be saying to me "I told you so" a year from now.. but I bought another Taurus. After sending my broken one in I decided that I have no idea how long it will take to get it repaired, nor how long it would take for me to ever trust that particular gun again. So I went shopping for a new sub-compact. After much deliberating, I decided on a Taurus TCP 732. It looks EXACTLY like my TCP 738, only it uses a .32 caliber instead. Yeah, I know.. less power. But I hope that means less recoil (firing that little thing hurts the palm of my hand) and also I'm sort of hoping that it is less stress on the internals of the gun so maybe it will last longer.. Not sure. I haven't even fired it yet. The store I bought it from was out of stock on .32 caliber ammo. On the bright side, I can use all of the same holsters I was already using for my 738.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Seconded.

What are your intentions with the .32 is it SD or just target shooting? I ask because the .32 caliber is expensive even more than .380 and not only that I barely feel confident with my .380 and would feel even more weary about a .32 caliber for CC / but not to say it won't do the job because it sure will / to each his own and good luck on your new gun. I wouldn't buy a Taurus just because I have seen the craftsmanship they have and they do not look quality to me at least.
    I have yet to be attacked by a block of ballistic gelatin but.........

Administrator
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
    -Albert Einstein
    "Just blame Sixto"

Whats that old saying, Fool me once shame on you..... I believe it applies here.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links