My Taurus died today.

This is a discussion on My Taurus died today. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by defensive007 What are your intentions with the .32 is it SD or just target shooting? I ask because the .32 caliber is ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: My Taurus died today.

Quote Originally Posted by defensive007 View Post
    What are your intentions with the .32 is it SD or just target shooting? I ask because the .32 caliber is expensive even more than .380 and not only that I barely feel confident with my .380 and would feel even more weary about a .32 caliber for CC / but not to say it won't do the job because it sure will / to each his own and good luck on your new gun.
    This is for SD. As stated earlier in the thread, once a week or so I need to carry a smaller gun because of my clothing or environment. For example, going to church or a business meeting. So these are all low-threat level situations anyway. I would certainly never buy such a small gun for target shooting. Truth be told I hate firing such little guns. They hurt my hand, they are hard to hold, and not very accurate. But considering I've been substituting my .22 pistol the last few times I've needed a small gun, the .32 should be a considerable improvement.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

2. Remove Ads

I wish you luck with it, but IMO you could have had a much more reliable pistol for the same price or maybe a tad less...

IMO the LCP far exceeds the quality of the Taurus.... I actually got to shoot one of the Taurus 738 about two weeks ago... To be honest it wasn't bad, but the trigger had a ton of take-up and I thought I'd break it if I pulled back to hard on it.. I like that it holds open on an empty mag, but that's a minor check to the plus side, also MO. Anyway, again good luck with it, but like they say... Mess with the bull and you're gonna get the horns.

"He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    This is for SD. As stated earlier in the thread, once a week or so I need to carry a smaller gun because of my clothing or environment. For example, going to church or a business meeting. So these are all low-threat level situations anyway. I would certainly never buy such a small gun for target shooting. Truth be told I hate firing such little guns. They hurt my hand, they are hard to hold, and not very accurate. But considering I've been substituting my .22 pistol the last few times I've needed a small gun, the .32 should be a considerable improvement.
    I beg to differ. I have no issue with mine. None whatsoever shooting them and shooting them accurately.

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    I wish you the best sir. It's all personal preference, but I would have picked up a used snubby rather than the new Taurus.
    Comparable size and weight and price.
    I would much rather have 5 rounds of .38+p than to have 7 rounds of .32. But that's just me.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    I wish you luck with it, but IMO you could have had a much more reliable pistol for the same price or maybe a tad less...
    I doubt it.. The ad you posted shows MSRP of $336 for the Taurus. However, I only paid $259 for mine brand-new at Academy. Plus the Taurus comes with an extra magazine and a holster.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

JD
    Administrator
    I doubt it.. The ad you posted shows MSRP of $336 for the Taurus. However, I only paid $259 for mine brand-new at Academy. Plus the Taurus comes with an extra magazine and a holster.
    MSRP does not equal retail pricing.

Save a few bucks, add a few headaches.... good luck with that. I learned my lesson, had to go through it twice too. there are certain things that saving a few bucks should not be a factor, self defense weapons are one of those things.

Well, I hope nobody has to be saying to me "I told you so" a year from now.. but I bought another Taurus. After sending my broken one in I decided that I have no idea how long it will take to get it repaired, nor how long it would take for me to ever trust that particular gun again. So I went shopping for a new sub-compact. After much deliberating, I decided on a Taurus TCP 732. It looks EXACTLY like my TCP 738, only it uses a .32 caliber instead. Yeah, I know.. less power. But I hope that means less recoil (firing that little thing hurts the palm of my hand) and also I'm sort of hoping that it is less stress on the internals of the gun so maybe it will last longer.. Not sure. I haven't even fired it yet. The store I bought it from was out of stock on .32 caliber ammo. On the bright side, I can use all of the same holsters I was already using for my 738.
    The funny part of this post is that you think it will take a year for someone to have to tell you that.....
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    The funny part of this post is that you think it will take a year for someone to have to tell you that.....
    Just curious. How many of your Taurus pistols have given you a problem ?

Administrator
    You know the old saying...."A Nod Is As Good As A Wink To Blind Horse."

Well, I hope nobody has to be saying to me "I told you so" a year from now.. but I bought another Taurus. After sending my broken one in I decided that I have no idea how long it will take to get it repaired, nor how long it would take for me to ever trust that particular gun again. So I went shopping for a new sub-compact. After much deliberating, I decided on a Taurus TCP 732. It looks EXACTLY like my TCP 738, only it uses a .32 caliber instead. Yeah, I know.. less power. But I hope that means less recoil (firing that little thing hurts the palm of my hand) and also I'm sort of hoping that it is less stress on the internals of the gun so maybe it will last longer.. Not sure. I haven't even fired it yet. The store I bought it from was out of stock on .32 caliber ammo. On the bright side, I can use all of the same holsters I was already using for my 738.

If its any help, our 738 had a few jams the first trip to the range, I ran about 2-300 rds through it that day. After that it was polished in a few places, cleaned up good and it has been good since. Whatever part failure occured they should fix and hopefully you will be good to go for a long time. Let us know.

Just as a side note. I have seen more Glock failures in our classes and classes I have been in than other guns. Heck last month during an instructor class I was taking, one guys G26 would not do anything but fire in single shot mode. He said he had had it at the range the week before and didn't do anything to it after the range session. Didn't even clean it. He had been carrying it daily for the past week. I loaned him my Taurus 24/7 to finish the class. It ran just fine for him.

Am I suggesting that Glocks are less reliable than Taurus, nope. Just stating what I have observed in classes I have taught or attended. If it is mechanical it can and will break eventually.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

OK - An update to this. I took my new .32 caliber Taurus to the range yesterday and fired 50 shots through it. Not a single malfunction. Also it seemed to be more accurate than the .380 version but I have no idea why as the gun is almost identical. The recoil was noticeably less than the .380 version, which is great because 10 or 15 rounds through that tiny .380 makes my hand hurt. But 50 rounds through this gun was no problem.

Now, here's the ironic part. I received an email from Taurus yesterday saying my .380 had been repaired and is already been shipped back to me. I have a tracking number and it should arrive Monday. of course, I'll need to take it to the range and put another 50 rounds through it before I dare trust it again. So that means that Taurus took only a day or two to repair my gun and ship it back. Most of the time spent on repair was simply for transit.

i feel no recoil on my Sig 238 a .380 generally if you hold it right should only give very little recoil
    I have yet to be attacked by a block of ballistic gelatin but.........

Ok I just had to buy one of these Taurus Model 82 38+P medium from revolvers from SOG. Mainly because they are selling them in VG to ECL condition for $150 at SOG! They retail for $450 and these are in very good shape. I guess the south american death squads were on hoiday when they had them! (:

Here is there URL to buy one if oyu have no FFL most guntsores will do it ofr oyu for $35 or so. https://www.southernohiogun.com

When mine arrives I will step outside since I have three shooting ranges at my home and firearms training school here and then give you a report. My expectation is there will be no problems at all with it. But we will see. My wife's gun is a SW 586 4' BBL and other than the L frame on that SW, the Taurus Model 82 in .38SPL is a clone of it. As most of you know Taurus has license to all SW designs. I have never had any failures with my 586.

But here is curious side note here. I use the SW 586 in my scenario based adrenal stress driven classes at times. The more real training becomes to the actual event being trained for the more the ‘real problems’ in using a handgun or any gun SMG, rifle shotgun, AK, M16 variants ect as we teach them all here become very apparent.

But maybe more important the things that do not matter at all like squeezing the trigger, aiming the gun with sights, stance, breath etc. These things that have no relevance to using a gun in a SD situation become apparent too and right away with adrenal stress based scenario training.

Yet grasp this weirdness, this happens in one class in three yet I can’t duplicate it myself at all even when I try hard to and repeatedly. Under the adrenal stress of the scenarios people of course loss all fine motor control and go ‘spastic’ a bit until they are trained past that which does not take long wither.

As a result of this adrenal affect when I put 6 or 4 cartridges in the revolver (they use low velocity rubber bullets in the scenarios we just use blanks) somehow they are able to spastically work the DA trigger in a way that “skips’ a chamber!

The cylinder is indexed by myself so that cartridge number 1 one come up on the first trigger pull then 2 ,3,4 on the trigger pulls. But I open the cylinder and cylinder 1 is fired, cylinder 2 is NOT FIRED but 3 and 4 are fired!.

If I can figure out how to add a photo it will be here. Has anyone else ever hears of this happening?

I know why it happens spastic pulling due to the adrenal dump, what I wonder about is how it is physically and mechanically possible.
    skipped chamber smaller.jpgFireams flame of gun frame.jpg

But have you ever been shot or even shot at by another person determined to kill you? Believe me it changes everything entirely. Its terrfying too and most people will have no access to what previously they thought was was 'fireams for self-defense training' that they were doing at the range for so many years.

But if they survive that encounter and get away (most won't even 'remember' they'were even armed themselves) then the experience can lead them to a true and greater and functional truths. But the biochemistry is the same so an adrenal stress driven simulation , a scenario that is, can do the same thing only actually better as they have a context and a video to quickly evaluatte what they did in the scenario(since they will have no clear memory of what they did at all otherwise or they have a false one) and another scenario will be coming up and so they make progress pretty fast too.

And yes, 10% Balistsic gelatin is not ideal of course but it is well normalized and a very useful a revealing research tool and the best we have now. Even when sheep and fresh human cadaviors were being shot in tests those 'mediums' did not tell us anything more than 10 % gelatin. But I your comment is funny, even though I get it all the time really. Another one I get is this, I set up two large watermellons for the class. I shoot one with a .357 Magnum JHP and the other with the .45 SCP hydroshock or Silvertip.

The watermellon of course is vaporized by the .357 JHP in a momentary 'pink mist appears' before its totally gone in small fragements. Then I shoot the like size watermellon withthe 1911 , .45 ACP JHP round. Of course nothing happens, just a hole is drilled through the watermellon. I then shoot that watermellon three more times with the .45 ACP, now I just have four neat holes in the watermellon which is otherwise intact.

As you would also suspect, one fo the students, a 1911 fan will say "Well, if I am ever attacked by a watermellon I will keep this demonstartion in mind" We always have fun at RMCAT training too so this is all fine with me it gets some laughs.

Then I pick up the 12 ga with just 7 1/2 field loads and the watermellon dissappears. This is repeated with the AK-47 and an old M16. Twatermellon hit by 357.jpghe first round from either rifle vaporizes the other watermellons.

A watermellonm is not a real good medium for human flesh either really but it graphcially shows the affects of hydrosotatic shock and that even in a handgun, at the .357 magnum like velocities, gets most of its stopping power from hysdrostatic shock affects. It also clearly shows that "a pistol is not a rifle terminal ballistcs wise"

Since I know how to add photos now here is pic of the watrermellon being hit by .357 Magnum 125 JHP at 10,000 frames a second I took. Show hydrostatic shock affects pretty good I think.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links