My Taurus died today.

This is a discussion on My Taurus died today. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have expereinced this too, the .32 acp is more accuratte in a PPK than the .380 in a PPK.But that 'accurracy' has no relevance ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: My Taurus died today.

I have expereinced this too, the .32 acp is more accuratte in a PPK than the .380 in a PPK.But that 'accurracy' has no relevance to self-dfense situation only tagert shooting. I do not know just why the ,32 acp holds a better group for sure either. But it does in my old colt .32 acp too.

2. Remove Ads

I sold my Taurus 24/7 45ACP Duo-Tone about a month ago and applied the funds to a Black on Black Springfield Armory XDM 45ACP 4.5. It was flawless and I guess I was skewed by the number of stories on the net and on YouTube about Taurus failures that I didn't want to take a chance of betting my life on something that just might fail at the worst possible time. I know any mechanical device can fail just some are more prone to failures than others. My former Taurus was accurate but the XDM is more accurate especially during rapid fire.

I won't buy another Taurus gun ever.
    azchevy likes this.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Devil's advocate?

Just stopping by and wanted to add that I may not be that much of a Taurus fan, but -- in fairness -- I have had a couple of good experiences with them. Like, I had an 85 some years ago that shot well at first, but started binding up after a good many rounds, and Taurus made it right. Took a bit of time, but no cost to me.

They also have some designs that are kind of unique. The Mil Pro .45's, for example, stand out from other small .45's, as they carry a lot of firepower in a very small package, seem to have a decent, if long, trigger pull, and actually shoot pretty smoothly considering their size. (A small .45 always takes some handling.) There are other small .45's that are tougher and of finer and more consistent quality, but they generally cost a little more, and with those there are usually compromises in capacity, weight, concealability or perhaps handling characteristics. (I am a genuine G36 fan, for example, but you give up 4 rounds with that, and the trigger and grip can be controversial. G30 is good, but still bigger and blockier. I also like the Kahr; but, it also has reduced capacity, longer grip to conceal, etc. You get the idea.) It might or might not be a plus, depending on your view of it, but the Mil Pro's also have a thumb safety and second-strike capability, which many comparable guns do not.

I have a friend who might be a little bit of a gun snob (with all due respect), but he has a couple of Taurus 40's that he keeps as car-guns (in the construction business), because of their low cost. He doesn't always talk about them, preferring subjects like Smith, Colt and Springfield Armory, but if pressed he will admit that he has had very good luck with those Taurus's and actually likes them much in that role.

There are also some rumors going around that their customer service is getting better. Just rumors, so far as I know, but it could be.

Anyway, while I don't own a Taurus right now, I can't begrudge those who choose to. Apparently, a number of people have good impressions of their own particular guns. As long as you know what you are getting in to, and you don't mind taking the chance, they could be a decent piece for not a lot of money, and might even end up filling a given role better than other options.
    Last edited by dugo; November 13th, 2011 at 04:38 PM.

I have a tradition, when my kids turned 21 I would pay for their CCw class and buy them a gun....
    My youngest son had to have an PT 1911 with the tac rail. the ambi safety fell out before he got 25 rounds out of it...
    Shipped it to the factory for repair, 8 weeks later it came back, and the safety fell out while he was looking at it, Back to Taurus.
    7 weeks later it came back, scratched and it would not shoot straight where before it was dead nuts accurate, in short you could not shoot a 15" group at 21', so back it went.
    7 weeks later it came back, still not fixed returned it.
    7 weeks later it came back this time it was fixed.... Looked like they had replaced the slide
    We called multiple times, each time we were promised they would put a priority rush on it... never happened... wrote the CEO, never received any kind of response, but it did come back fixed the last time.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Quote Originally Posted by dugo View Post
    There are also some rumors going around that their customer service is getting better. Just rumors, so far as I know, but it could be.
    Well, they made a believer out of me. All I had to do was go on their website, put in my serial# and a description of the problem. I got an RMA immediately, and shipped the gun to them the next day. I received it back in less than a week and it was working perfectly, and they gave me two new magazines as well. It was by far the easiest return procedure I've ever gone through with any product (guns, electronics, etc) that I've had to return for warranty repair.
    Steve454 likes this.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar
    I got burned on a 7 shot Taurus 357.

Know of a NIB pocket 9mm that had to go back the same day.

You can always buy a MDE for a pocket .380.:)

They work like a charm.

That MDE cost twice as much than a $250 taurus 732. Seems the OP was treated well by Taurus and now has 2 that go bang when the trigger is pulled. (I have a yellow and pink 732 in my collection.)

So what was the problem with your gun, what parts needed to be replaced ?.

Well Mr B I guess it is a silly reply to why are there tags on them? That what you mean. If you look at my intoduction I stated that I am a collector with a lot of guns. I have a gun room and I tag and I display them all because I can. I cant remember them all. Well over 250 and growing.. there I explined it. What else do you want to know? (The yellow guns just hit the market last month.) Sorry if this up sets you. I don't want to.

Quote Originally Posted by rogertc1 View Post
    Well Mr B I guess it is a silly reply to why are there tags on them? That what you mean. If you look at my intoduction I stated that I am a collector with a lot of guns. I have a gun room and I tag and I display them all because I can. I cant remember them all. Well over 250 and growing.. there I explined it. What else do you want to know? (The yellow guns just hit the market last month.) Sorry if this up sets you. I don't want to.
    I wasn`t refering to you, your picture or your tags. I was asking the original poster what broke on his Taurus and what had to be replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
    I wasn`t refering to you, your picture or your tags. I was asking the original poster what broke on his Taurus and what had to be replaced.
    I'm not entirely sure. The paperwork that came back didn't really say specifically. It listed a part number, I think.

RogerTC1, I like that yellow. I saw one of those the other day in the store and really wished I had one like that. I also just bought this lavender TCP as a christmas present for my cousin. I think it looks really great too!

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    I'm not entirely sure. The paperwork that came back didn't really say specifically. It listed a part number, I think.

RogerTC1, I like that yellow. I saw one of those the other day in the store and really wished I had one like that. I also just bought this lavender TCP as a christmas present for my cousin. I think it looks really great too!

Looks like some kind of blaster from a video game. How cute.

That lavender and stainless is a nice looking color combo.

Its funny to me how all the Glock fans are the first ones to slam Taurus. I used to be a huge Glock "fan-boy" but my Taurus has changed my mind. I purchased my 9MM Taurus 24/7 Compact and Gen4 Glock G26 within about a month of each other. The Taurus cost me around $200 less, and I have had absolutely no issues with the Taurus. The Glock however, has been giving me problems (I'm thinking its a garbled ejector). The moral of the story is there is NO perfect manufacturer. They will ALL have issues with products at some point or another. My Taurus has become my daily carry pistol. Sooner or later you have to realize that the being blinded by loyalty simply destroys your ability to identify quality in other products. I know many have given Taurus a bad rap but any of the Taurus pistols I have fired have been excellent. And their willingness to stand behind their product is excellent. Unfortunately Glock has begun riding on their reputation and there customer service at this point leaves a little to be desired. Taurus on the other hand was very easy to work with when I contacted them to obtain some additional magazines. Guess everyone ends up with different experiences.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links