Fun at the local FedEx shipping a firearm

This is a discussion on Fun at the local FedEx shipping a firearm within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am having issues with my Walther PPS. I called Smith and Wesson and they sent me a pre-paid FedEx label to ship it back ...

Thread: Fun at the local FedEx shipping a firearm

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

Fun at the local FedEx shipping a firearm

I am having issues with my Walther PPS. I called Smith and Wesson and they sent me a pre-paid FedEx label to ship it back to them. Here are some of the instructions.

Firearms may not be shipped at FedEx Office, KINKOS or FedEx Drop Boxes
    FedEx requires that you verbally inform the receiving FedEx employee that a package contains a firearm.
    I called the local Kinkos/FedEx just to verify. The guy said that for <blah><blah><blah> reason, I have to take it to the World Service Center which is substantially further away. Fiiiiiiiiiiiine. I go to the local Kinkos to get a box and again ask, this time to the manager. He says that he can accept the package under certain circumstances.
    1. It is going to an FFL or the manufacturer
    2. It ain’t not loaded

OK, so I take the box home, pack it up and the next day, bring it back, unsealed, just in case they want to check it. I am speaking with the clerk.

Me: I wish to ship this package.

Clerk: No problem. I can handle that for you.

Me: Well, you should know it is a firearm.

Clerk: Oh. Let me check. (Speaks with a manager type and comes back). I have a few questions. Is it going to an FFL?

Me: Actually the manufacture for warranty repair.

Clerk: Well, I guess that is ok. Is it loaded?

Me: (The smart a** in me is thinking, of course it is. It has a full mag of HD ammo and one in the chamber just to test out the firing pin disengagement mechanism but I say) Of course not. Would you like to check?

Clerk: No, that is OK

So I seal it up and hand him the package. The guy next to me says, “Is that a Ruger needing a trigger recall?” He had a Ruger SR9 that he needed to ship back. We get into an interesting conversation and a few other people chime in. I was wondering if any of them were carrying.

Package was sent off and hopefully S&W can fix my issues and I get it back quickly.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

2. Remove Ads

Ya'll get a gold star for your patience.
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

Persistance pays!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

The counter person at my local FedEx asked me if the handgun was disassembled when I turned it over for shipping back to Springfield Armory. That's neither a legal requirement nor a FedEx requirement for shipping. I gave a misleading answer short of an outright lie, and let the shipment proceed rather than making a fuss and getting a manager involved. I just love it when people make up the rules as they go.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    The next time I ship a firearm via FedEx I'm not telling them. I will break it down and if they ask what it is I will tell them "it's machine parts". I'm not paying the extra money ever again.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    Asking if the gun is unloaded is probably a wise precaution. We all know how stupid some folks get; it's perfectly reasonable to assume that some idiot would try to ship one hot and ready to rock.

Good on you for your patience. Most of the customer service stupidity I encounter is with the airlines.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Is it me, or is this one of those areas where a more reasonable stance and legislative wording would make sense for locations like the Post Office as opposed to this zero tolerance - zero sense lunacy we have today? I am thinking here, an unloaded firearm which has been properly packed for shipping.

NEVER ship a gun loaded!

If ever a shipper tells you what they CAN'T do, escalate to the corporate office. You will eventually get the right answer if you climb high enough. FedEx will always allow a firearm to be shipped to MFG or FFL as long as it is unloaded.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

That is interesting because the Fed Ex place nearby to where I live has a sign posted on the inside wall as you walk through the door that says :

"No firearms are allowed in this building. You will be searched."

I guess they don't want the business of shipping a firearm or those who are willing to carry one.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

I ran into a similar dilemma yesterday when shipping back my Taurus. Their website said I could use any standard carrier to ship back to MFG. However, I've always had it drilled into my head that it is a felony to bring any type of firearm into a post office. So just to be on the safe side I shipped it UPS. Well, the UPS store has a big sign showing all of the things they don't allow for shipment. But as I know UPS will in fact ship firearms, I figured the best way to handle it was just not to tell them what was in the box. It was probably more a rule of the "UPS Store" than it was UPS in general.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    The next time I ship a firearm via FedEx I'm not telling them.
    Exactly what I do, the correct way to ship a firearm.

Quote Originally Posted by JoJoGunn View Post
    That is interesting because the Fed Ex place nearby to where I live has a sign posted on the inside wall as you walk through the door that says :

"No firearms are allowed in this building. You will be searched."

I guess they don't want the business of shipping a firearm or those who are willing to carry one.
    Who will they have search you?
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    Last time I shipped a gun, it was in the factory case, which was obviously a gun case if you'd ever seen one. Zero problems shipping from an Office Max FedEx location.

... on the other hand, one time I was trying to ship a sheath knife I'd sold, and after picking out packaging in the UPS Store (getting the stinkeye from the clerk the whole time), I packed it up and brought it to the desk, where the clerk proceeded to interrogate me regarding what I was shipping. When I told him it was a knife, he insisted that it was against UPS policy to mail a weapon. When I pointed out that it was not, in fact, a weapon, and that I had shipped handguns, which actually ARE weapons (Both according to MN law, anyway) via UPS, he refused to ship my package.

I complained to UPS headquarters after reviewing their shipping policies and finding no such policy forbidding the mailing of knives, and was told that UPS Stores were essentially franchises, and they couldn't/wouldn't do anything about it.
    Hakkaa päälle!

I'm in the process of shipping a 1911 frame out for trigger work,apparently FFL's can ship handguns thru the USPS to another FFL,I'm gonna contact my FFL friend and have him do it.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Links