This is NOT a Concealed Carry Gun

This is a discussion on This is NOT a Concealed Carry Gun within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Very nice. And a great caliber, too. The 10MM is my favorite round....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: This is NOT a Concealed Carry Gun

VIP Member
    Very nice. And a great caliber, too. The 10MM is my favorite round.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    Very nice indeed!
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Just a note concerning CCW with that weapon, if you so choose.

I had a similar pistol awhile back. S&W model 908 (9mm).
    It was accurate, never had any malfunctions. The only issue I had was the safety. While at the range, taking safety off was never any problem. But when I practiced drawing from concealment (unloaded of course) I had a heck of a time disengaging the safety.

If you choose to use this for CCW, better make sure to practice drawing and disengaging safety.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I carried a 1006 for about 3 years on and off duty , it seemed to conceal about as easily as a full size 1911 to me .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Not sure why you couldn't conceal that........
    I do it with a SIG 226, but I am 6 ft tall and 220 lbs so that might help.

Nice gun, definitely a BBQ gun too shiny for CCW.
    Ranger Gunleather

If light rails were needed on handguns John Browning would have included it on the 1911.

Quote Originally Posted by Paradoc
    DR CMG just used a good flash so we could see it particulaly well. Its not that bright. Nothing close to nickel.
    He can even see using it in the dark with those tritium nite sights (factory). Indeed a sweet piece. Wished it was the size of my Para LDA...

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradoc
    Not sure why you couldn't conceal that........
    I do it with a SIG 226, but I am 6 ft tall and 220 lbs so that might help.

And I'm 5' 8" and weight 190 lbs. If my waist would waste away a bit, I might be able to pull it off. The pistol really is a satin finish stainless steel. There are some spot where holster wear and use have rubbed the satin to a shiny spot. That makes it look a lot shinier than it is. There are three light sources shining on the pistol in those pictures so that there are very few shadows and that too makes it look more shiny than it really is.

Here are some pictures to show the difference.

Smith & Wesson Model 439 9mm in polished nickel.

Top-S&W 439 Bottom-Wife's Bersa Ultra Compact 9mm Just to give a contrast.

Smith & Wesson Model 1066 10mm

If I have time tomorrow I will take a photo of the 439 and the 1066 together to highlight the difference in the surface.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

I love 3rd gen smiths! Very nice 10mm.

Here is a carry gun!!! A 6946.

MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MNBurl View Post
    I love 3rd gen smiths! Very nice 10mm.

Here is a carry gun!!! A 6946.

Nice looking Smith. Am I correct that the 6946 uses 12 round mags? I don't do well with most double stack DAO pistols, but I believe from looking at your pictures the 6946 would be OK. Most of the double stack DAO pistols I have fired have grips that are more rectangular and do not fit my hand. I have never handled a Smith that did not feel good in my hand.

Keep safe and take care of that Smith. Nice pistol.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Oooooooooooo you got a good one!..........and YES, I'd consider it a CC gun for sure.!! it's about the same size a 4506..
    NICE gun ya got there Doc!
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Quote Originally Posted by dr_cmg View Post
    Nice looking Smith. Am I correct that the 6946 uses 12 round mags? I don't do well with most double stack DAO pistols, but I believe from looking at your pictures the 6946 would be OK. Most of the double stack DAO pistols I have fired have grips that are more rectangular and do not fit my hand. I have never handled a Smith that did not feel good in my hand.

Keep safe and take care of that Smith. Nice pistol.
    Yep. They are 12 rounders and this model fits / points very well in my hand. Perfect size IMHO.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_cmg View Post
    The .357SIG is still my caliber of choice. I appreciate the speed and hitting power, but if there was a 10mm in a pistol about the size of my P239 SIG I would be tempted to change my mind.
    The .357SIG is my preferred caliber too, my primary carry being a P229, with a P239 for deeper cover days. I have been after SIGARMS to give us a 10mm for years. I hear you can get .400 Corbon and .45Super conversions for the P220 that will give you similar ballistics (or so they say), but I'd really love a SIG to add to my 10mm collection.

Anyway, congrats on the 10mm Smith. I have both a 1066 and a 1076, but they don't get shot much.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

VIP Member
    Here are the side by side images of the Smith & Wesson 1066 10mm in satin stainless and 439 9mm in polished nickel. You get a better idea of the difference between the shiny nickel and the satin finish on the stainless. The last picture shows the two from behind the sights. The 439 has a satin finish on top of the slide. It would be especially hard to get a good sight picture with shiny nickel on the slide top. You can see some of the places where holster wear has polished the satin finish on the 1066. It is real apparent in the second picture on the muzzle and spring housing.

George

I still like it......... even considering a similar purchase for my wife.

That's sweet looking pistol, I just never liked the 10mm that much, but it's been years since I fired one.

How is the recoil with hot loads?
    Ranger Gunleather

If light rails were needed on handguns John Browning would have included it on the 1911.

VIP Member
    I did not get to shoot any this weekend, so I haven't fired anything but 180 gr. FMJ. I have some hot loads that I will likely get a chance to fire next weekend. I'll post my impressions then.
    George

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links